FTFC23: Buildruary Build-off Challenge

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Who else wants to join this challenge; Build 4 planes in the 4 weeks of February!

mastermalpass

Elite member
Hmm... Maaaaaybe I'll take part this year?

I was thinking instead of Builduary I would do FebRepairy and get several models air worthy again:
RCPowers Su-35 V5: Glue fuselage back together.
Half-Pipe Delta: Give Rx and fix Wing Tip
BipePipe Pro: Replace busted rudder servo
GT-M530: Diagnose and fix connection issues.

But I could do with a fleet update, it's just knowing me, I'll get all excited about building four planes now but then be lucky to have one maiden by the end of the month. Still, I shall be here in spirit; with at least a planned diverting of time to the workshop to get the Albatross finished, then maybe Su-35 V5 dismantled and parts used for an RCPowers MiG-29 V4, also make EDF Mirage and maybe make a flat-packable Dupreez Sig Kadet. We'll see how far I get!

Yankee2003

Hmm... Maaaaaybe I'll take part this year?

I was thinking instead of Builduary I would do FebRepairy and get several models air worthy again:
RCPowers Su-35 V5: Glue fuselage back together.
Half-Pipe Delta: Give Rx and fix Wing Tip
BipePipe Pro: Replace busted rudder servo
GT-M530: Diagnose and fix connection issues.

But I could do with a fleet update, it's just knowing me, I'll get all excited about building four planes now but then be lucky to have one maiden by the end of the month. Still, I shall be here in spirit; with at least a planned diverting of time to the workshop to get the Albatross finished, then maybe Su-35 V5 dismantled and parts used for an RCPowers MiG-29 V4, also make EDF Mirage and maybe make a flat-packable Dupreez Sig Kadet. We'll see how far I get!

I think you just accurately described almost everyone joining Builduary. It’s not always how you finish…(oh I just noticed that Bronco I started…and that Mustang, all I have to do is put in a couple servos)….it’s how you start…..no wait…..🥴

hankflies03

I'm still very much a beginner so my list is just some chill flyers/trainers:
1. simple cub with floats so I can take it to a lake and fly in the snow.
2. ft flyer (already have the nutball so might as well...)
3. AP easy nice pusher trainer
4. either a ft f-22 or a bloody wonder mk lll or a mathewdupreez slow flyer. can't decide

mastermalpass

Elite member
I think you just accurately described almost everyone joining Builduary. It’s not always how you finish…(oh I just noticed that Bronco I started…and that Mustang, all I have to do is put in a couple servos)….it’s how you start…..no wait…..🥴

So, does that mean I'm allowed to take part with a model I started for a completely different challenge, this time last year? 😂

Inq

Elite member
Challenge: Spend February building at least 4 functioning RC Foam planes. Make a list and Build-log for each plane on the list. This will be scored out of 100 pts. (8 pts for entry, and 23 pts for each Build)

Do you get extra points for starting more than 4? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm fully capable of staring a dozen projects in one month... finishing 4 may be a problem.
;):cool::rolleyes:

Also... what does functioning mean? Does auger-in to China count?

Inq

Elite member
1674927483802.png

I'm IN!

I'll be making individual build threads for each of mine instead of combining them into one. I like to talk too much to have all that running around in my head together one thread. Here is the top level build thread or use the individual links below to each of the plane's build threads.
  1. Flite Test Mighty Mini DR1 Triplane - from Flite Test speed-build kit with Inq embellishments. :eek:
  2. Fokker D.VIII - custom design using Flite Test design concepts with Inq embellishments. :rolleyes:
  3. Boomerang - custom design flying wing, self powered, minimal weight, motor launch, maximum wingspan sailplane. :sneaky:
  4. Focke Wulf Ta 152H - Custom design, using mostly Flight Test techniques with Inq embellishments. o_O
  5. F-23 Black Widow - custom design using Flight Test F-22 Raptor techniques with Inq embellishments. :sleep: - I'm adding this 5th model because it's already started and I'll lose 10 points, but I may not get one of the others in and need to use this instead.

Last edited:

luvmy40

Elite member
OK, I'll give it a go. I'm terrible at documenting my builds but I do love to post pics of my endeavors. I'll make an attempt to do both!

Builds:
1. FT 3D XL
2. FT Spitfire
3. Simple Stagger Wing
4. Shrub Smacker

Build Thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...led-pilot-skill-2-beginner.71701/#post-739656

I doubt I'll be able to get them all built, documented and maidened in the alloted time, but it will be fun to try!

Last edited:

Inq

Elite member
I'm still very much a beginner so my list is just some chill flyers/trainers:
1. simple cub with floats so I can take it to a lake and fly in the snow.
2. ft flyer (already have the nutball so might as well...)
3. AP easy nice pusher trainer
4. either a ft f-22 or a bloody wonder mk lll or a mathewdupreez slow flyer. can't decide

Just the idea of a plane on floats... It's bad enough that I have to pick up the pieces on hard ground that I might can use in a new plane. The thought of a plane sinking and be a total right-off... I'd be crushed. But I'm dying to see it.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I have been teasing participation for a bit now. It is time I commit and make it official. 4 planes in 4 weeks of February. I can do this! I think :)
Still gathering my wits (not sure I have many left) but so far my build list looks like..
#1 Zydeco Zinger
#2 Foam Wonder
#3 Yin Yang
#4 - I know I had a 4th one in mind a second ago.. oh! maybe a foam Viejo, that sounds like fun.
yea so, ill get back to you with more details soon. Maybe after more coffee

well, it is even more official and maybe farther than I got last year. I made the forum post. Build post link

Last edited:

Inq

Elite member
I don't know if I have enough parts for four planes. :eek:
It's a tragedy I have to go shopping. ;) This might take the whole day.

... and I thought following around a woman all day for the perfect set of cream pumps was a chore. :LOL: I was thinking, hey, I can do that... didn't know they made cream pumps, but any mechanical device... I can help! :oops:

FlyingTyger

Elite member
I'll be making individual build threads for each of mine instead of combining them into one. I like to talk too much to have all that running around in my head together one thread. I'll link them when I get started in February.
I'm the same. What I plan to do is have a thread for each build, then have a seperate Build-ruary thread where I can summarize each build for this challenge. That way I am also not continuing each build in a Build-ruary thread come July when I am finally finishing them :LOL:

Mutley

I am in!

1. RCM Magnum 40 - FT foam board conversion.
2. TU-95 (144" wing span) already stort of started, possible point deduction, must check with the judges - hot wire foam cut with carbon skeleton
3. FT spitfire VIC - 3 FT spits connected via carbon tubes all flying as 3 airplanes in formation (counts as three planes?)
4. not really qualified: 96" Balsa Monokote Trainer - Telemaster Ultra
5. flying AIM-7 - powerplant, flight controller, and stabileons conversion.

Yankee2003

My Declarations:
FTFC23: Build-ruary by FoamyDM (Build Skill: 4 Skilled, Pilot SKill: 3 Novice), Build Page Here
  1. FT- LongEZ
  2. FDM DTFB Prandlt-D (swept back)
  3. Perdona - Depron B2 Bomber - or EPP 3d flyer
  4. Video Aerial Systems - Gremlin - FPV rig!
How did you link your build page?
Should I link my build page in “registered“ section of this thread?

agupt108

I will hopefully participate and build four of this list. Once built will add a link of page here:
FT Simple Cub
FT Commuter
FT Versa or Arrow
FT Viggen
FT Spitfire

Inq

Elite member
How did you link your build page?
Should I link my build page in “registered“ section of this thread?

You go to your build page on your browser, grab the link and use the link button just above in the editor and paste your link in it and name it.
1675200068947.png