FTFC23: Buildruary Build-off Challenge

Inq

Elite member
The countdown begins... here in the US. :oops: Although you guys in Europe... can already start. :p
I'm stoked... I haven't touched a project in days and I'm having serious DT's! I have been designing, but it just isn't the same... I must have a dozen 3D print jobs queued up to go on my planes... mostly cosmetic, but some structural, some experimental.

T-minus four hours and counting...

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
4 Hrs. to GO!!!

Still time to make an attempt
tips7.jpg

Mutley

Just wondering how you got the third image shaped from the styrofoam. Thank you!
I made a hot wire setup with an old hair dryer nichrome wire, and an old 19V 5A laptop charger. I cut fiberglass panels in the shapes of the wings and nacelle cross sections and just hand shaped the rest with a rasp and sand paper.

luvmy40

Elite member
I'm 2 weeks behind the eight ball on this one. I won't even be home till the 13th.

Can I beg for dispensation?;)

FoamyDM

I'm 2 weeks behind the eight ball on this one. I won't even be home till the 13th.

Can I beg for dispensation?;)
I can't... but you can play along, and give yourself the final deadline at 3/14 midnight. and see how you stack up.

FoamyDM

I'm still very much a beginner so my list is just some chill flyers/trainers:
1. simple cub with floats so I can take it to a lake and fly in the snow.
2. ft flyer (already have the nutball so might as well...)
3. AP easy nice pusher trainer
4. either a ft f-22 or a bloody wonder mk lll or a mathewdupreez slow flyer. can't decide
Welcome to the Challenge Hank!

FoamyDM

Do you get extra points for starting more than 4? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm fully capable of staring a dozen projects in one month... finishing 4 may be a problem.
;):cool::rolleyes:

Also... what does functioning mean? Does auger-in to China count?
I did that one year... the record for that is held by @mayan with a total of 13 completed and flown planes

FoamyDM

View attachment 234180
I'm IN!

I'll be making individual build threads for each of mine instead of combining them into one. I like to talk too much to have all that running around in my head together one thread. I'll link them when I get started in February.
  1. Flite Test Mighty Mini DR1 Triplane - from Flite Test speed-build kit with Inq embellishments. :eek:
  2. Fokker D.VIII - custom design using Flite Test design concepts with Inq embellishments. :rolleyes:
  3. Boomerang - custom design flying wing, self powered, minimal weight, motor launch, maximum wingspan sailplane. :sneaky:
  4. Spitfire - custom design, using Flight Test Spitfire Speed and Spitfire Master Series techniques with Inq embellishments. o_O
  5. F-23 Black Widow - custom design using Flight Test F-22 Raptor techniques with Inq embellishments. :sleep: - I'm adding this 5th model because it's already started and I'll lose 10 points, but I may not get one of the others in and need to use this instead.
Welcome - Glad to have you aboard!

FoamyDM

Entrant list created - Almost there 1:30 hours to go.

Attention All Entrants:
During the challenge month the Aviation RC Noob Podcast has generously offered a Vid space to support building together on their Discord Channel. Link to Discord Invite. (link valide for the first week of Feb.)
1675222835738.png

I will try to designate a time 1once a week to meet in the build party Vid Channel to meet, chat, and build together. First one will be tonight for 30 mins. at kickoff.

next will be Saturday. Time to be determined.

mastermalpass

Elite member
Thinking more realistically, my entry may just be 1 plane. But I hope it will be a plane worth 4! I shall post my thread when I'm back from work!

FoamyDM

@FoamyDM I might try to compete this year although I probably wont get much done :(
I would love you to join in again.
I saw your instant collection. It must be keeping you busy. Add 4 foamies might be hard to fit in. 😂 I love seeing your family enjoy it with you.

if nothing else jump in to the weekend build nights if you can.

FoamyDM

Thinking more realistically, my entry may just be 1 plane. But I hope it will be a plane worth 4! I shall post my thread when I'm back from work!
Give it your best effort. I will post a link to the pending episode of ARCN. Near the mid mark we talk about the challenge some. It think I could help everyone with a healthy perspective on what this challenge is about.

Good luck, we are cheering you on.

Inq

Elite member
Being new... I was kind of expecting excitement. I was kind of expecting people to display and discuss their day's progress. Especially this first day! I understand (and sympathize) if you had chores or a day job. But if you even hot-glued a line... let us know about it. This isn't about hiding your stuff till the bitter end. Are you really looking for that golden trophy? This is a scrum... to build enthusiasm in your competitors... if not the public mind! Support your fellow builders... encourage your fellow builder. If for some off-chance fluke some youngster beats you using your advice... take solace that you might have helped their engineering career to design that car/bridge/airplane your butt will be in ten years down the road...

...and if you kept it close to the vest... SHAME ON YOU!

P.S. Then again... I'm a morning person. Its more likely you find my posts at 4am than 10pm! You all are probably still working. :ROFLMAO: Good night all!

Last edited: