GIANT SCALE: What is it to you?

billyshaw22

Years ago I can remember giant scale planes being 1/4 scale or larger. Depending on the group you fly with this might still be true but others would probably say 1/4 scale is the small "giant scale" Now going back to the good ole days, giant scale events required 1/4 scale or 80in wingspan for non scale mono planes and 60in for non scale bi-plane. So the question or the topic I wanted to talk about is what do you consider giant scale ? There is no wrong answer, me personally I feel the 100in wingspan is the point I start to feel it.
18920991_1168735166606600_7937376659413158389_o.jpg

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
for me its 70in i have never built anything flying that big just due to cost of electronics and my dumb thumbs

cyclone3350

Master member
I've always considered that giant scale was pretty much anything over 80" WS for any non jet. Then I saw what @Mid7night did to the C-47 & what U R doing to the B-25. Now I look @ my big birds & feel small & insignificant :( I guess 80"-120" is only large Scale.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
this is the ruling I’ve seen used the most, copy pasted from the site linked bellow

(Giant scale is) generally considered to apply to radio controlled model aircraft with minimum wingspans of eighty (80) inches for monoplanes and sixty (60) inches for multi-wing aircraft. Ducted Fan and Turbine aircraft with one hundred forty (140) inches combined length and width, measured from wing tip to wing tip at the widest point perpendicular to the fuselage and added to the length of the fuselage, excluding any protrusions. Autogyros with 50 inches for a single rotor, 80 inches for a dual rotor. Quarter (1/4) scale replicas or larger
https://www.amosrc.com/2-uncategorised/16-imaa-giant-scale

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
If you use the word "scale", then to me it implies a scale number, like 1/4 or 1/3, not just a wingspan. A 100" wingspan sounds big (and it is), but on "scale" it's relative. A 100" Cessna model is about 1/4 scale, which I would definitely call "giant scale", but a 100" B-36 is only 1/27th scale - not exactly "giant" to me.

But honestly, it's all semantics unless we're actually establishing some sort of contest or competition that would require "real" boundaries and definitions. You think it's giant? Call it giant!

My 1/4 scale C-47, to me, is beyond "giant scale", it's insane. If you need a crew of 3 or 4 friends just to put the plane together, you're nuts. ::looks at self:: XD

I love what I've learned from the project, but I don't see myself doing anything close to that size for a WHILE to come. ;)

cyclone3350

Master member
Maybe it should be classed as to how one gets it to the field. If U need a mid size sedan with the rear fold down seat or small SUV, then that is large scale. 60'ish warbird to 80'ish civilian high wing. If U need a large SUV, 80'ish warbird to 100'ish high wing, giant scale. If U have to use a landscaper's trailer, then U get the trophy for the insane scale class. It's the folks with the trailers is why I drive across several states to go to Warbird Events.

OliverW

Legendary member
Maybe it should be classed as to how one gets it to the field. If U need a mid size sedan with the rear fold down seat or small SUV, then that is large scale. 60'ish warbird to 80'ish civilian high wing. If U need a large SUV, 80'ish warbird to 100'ish high wing, giant scale. If U have to use a landscaper's trailer, then U get the trophy for the insane scale class. It's the folks with the trailers is why I drive across several states to go to Warbird Events.
I fir my biggest in a Ford expedition (barely). Without the rudder on its 110" long and the vertical stab sits up against the radio.

cyclone3350

Master member
Gotcha. I nearly got a pathfinder, problem was i couldn't fit this extra in it. It's 42% if memory serves

I thought about trading this one in for something bigger. I have the towing package & it does tow very well. Cheaper to buy a trailer than to upgrade. Moving from IL to Ga in the next few months. There's my angle to convince my wife why WE need to buy a trailer.:D

Beaver5150

I build up to 60" spans, but I don't consider that "giant" by any means.
If it's too big to transport in or out of the house in one piece, it's probably a giant.