GIANT SCALE: What is it to you?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
If you use the word "scale", then to me it implies a scale number, like 1/4 or 1/3, not just a wingspan. A 100" wingspan sounds big (and it is), but on "scale" it's relative. A 100" Cessna model is about 1/4 scale, which I would definitely call "giant scale", but a 100" B-36 is only 1/27th scale - not exactly "giant" to me.

SO yeah, depends on a LOT of factors. I'd consider a 1/12 Gotha G.IV as giant scale. 77.75" span biplane It's not the overly impressive "huge" builds you'd expect but it's a complicated build and is a project to assemble/disassemble for transport.

I'm of the opinion that the "catch all" rules of yesteryear are bunk but I get that for safety reasons there are needs to have guidelines. With a wider diversity of construction materials you really cannot classify everything the same, like Ben's C-47.

If it's too big for my home field then it's just too big... says the guy with an upcoming build WAY too big for his home field.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
SO yeah, depends on a LOT of factors. I'd consider a 1/12 Gotha G.IV as giant scale. 77.75" span biplane It's not the overly impressive "huge" builds you'd expect but it's a complicated build and is a project to assemble/disassemble for transport.

I'm of the opinion that the "catch all" rules of yesteryear are bunk but I get that for safety reasons there are needs to have guidelines. With a wider diversity of construction materials you really cannot classify everything the same, like Ben's C-47.

If it's too big for my home field then it's just too big... says the guy with an upcoming build WAY too big for his home field.

Gotha.......Now THAT is a fishing line nightmare.......LOL. But I may.......MAY........Tackle it one day. And yes, 1/12 (Mighty Mini Scale) is big enough, and is to scale with my airplanes!! Harry Tate is on my list as well.

(y):cool::p:D

dmdeaton

If you use the word "scale", then to me it implies a scale number, like 1/4 or 1/3, not just a wingspan. A 100" wingspan sounds big (and it is), but on "scale" it's relative. A 100" Cessna model is about 1/4 scale, which I would definitely call "giant scale", but a 100" B-36 is only 1/27th scale - not exactly "giant" to me.

But honestly, it's all semantics unless we're actually establishing some sort of contest or competition that would require "real" boundaries and definitions. You think it's giant? Call it giant!

My 1/4 scale C-47, to me, is beyond "giant scale", it's insane. If you need a crew of 3 or 4 friends just to put the plane together, you're nuts. ::looks at self:: XD

I love what I've learned from the project, but I don't see myself doing anything close to that size for a WHILE to come. ;)

I agree and have a 1/3 scale Folker DII in the box ready to build. It is massive, and just as tall. Its like going to a buffet and filling your plate with enough food for 3 people to eat. I have a big Yak, 1/4 pup, and a 1/4 Nieuport. No place to store them either. And..............always grab the small electric stuff to go to the field.

RedTwilight

But honestly, it's all semantics unless we're actually establishing some sort of contest or competition that would require "real" boundaries and definitions. You think it's giant? Call it giant!

;)

IMAA says 80" ich wingspan or true 1/4 scale.
"The International Miniature Aircraft Association(IMAA) sanctions Giant Scale flying events in the US. An RC aircraft must be a true quarter scale RC airplane, or have at least an 80 wing span to be considered Giant Scale by the IMAA. A bi-plane must have a minimum of 60 wing span. "

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Yep, I agree 80 inches seems about right. I just got my first giant scale by that definition, a Carbon Z Cessna 150T. Really proud of it, saved up for a while to buy it.
I think it should depend, as for example a p26 is classified to be in the 80 inch wingspan category but it’s wings are much stubbier than other planes so scale wise it would have to be larger compared to the full size to be in the giant scale…

speedfix

I think it should depend, as for example a p26 is classified to be in the 80 inch wingspan category but it’s wings are much stubbier than other planes so scale wise it would have to be larger compared to the full size to be in the giant scale…
Yeah I think it’s kind of on a plane to plane basis.

RedTwilight

Unless it's true 1/4 scale. According to IMAA a true 1/4 scale plane is accepted even if less than 80 inches for a monoplane or 60 inches for a bipe.
So a true 1/4 scale P26 would fit the description even if it's less than 80 inches

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Unless it's true 1/4 scale. According to IMAA a true 1/4 scale plane is accepted even if less than 80 inches for a monoplane or 60 inches for a bipe.
So a true 1/4 scale P26 would fit the description even if it's less than 80 inches
Oh. Ok, I didn't catch that part.