Graupner Vs. Spektrum

fragdrum

I am looking to really upgrade my transmitter and im looking at the Spektrum DX9 Black Edition or the Graupner MZ-24. Im willing to spend the $599 for the Spektrum but im wondering what is the better transmitter. I fly mainly multirotors and will be getting more into planes as well. It seems that Spektrum is a a standard in the industry, but the Graupner seems to be really nice for the price.

jamboree1

To my way of thinking, although the graupner has more features for less price it is yet to be time tested for quality, also try finding extra recievers for it cheaply. For spektrum you can buy a 6 channel reciever made by Lemon for less than $10

abieex

Mentor
I've never had much luck with "really nice for the price"! Everyone has an opinion but I'm going to stick with Spektrum which is what FT used before starting to sell Graupner. By the way, the lemon receivers are the bomb.

OneFlightWonder

I know its not in the comparison but try the Frsky taranis. World wide satisfaction, packed full of features, endless programmability and value priced at $175-200 US.

Not only is it feature filled but its well built too. The graupner has a "cheap" feel to it and its not very clean on the inside. I also have a Dmsx module in my taranis so i can switch back and forth between spectrum and frsky receivers or use both at the same time!

fragdrum

OneFlight my next question would have been another transmitter that would compare with great value and very comparable. I dont want to have to by another transmitter after this one.

edthefox

First off, I'm a noob. So there's that. :black_eyed:

I don't know what transmitter you are using now but I really like the Spektrum. I just purchased the Spektrum DX6 (for my daughter). I haven't flown with it yet, but my first impression is quality...it just feels great in my hands. Gimbals are very nice and fully adjustable, switches feel good too. Can't wait to use it. Never touched a Graupner so I'm no help there.

On a side note, I have the Taranis X9D that OneFlightWonder mentioned. It's just like everyone says, Taranis can do just about anything, can have up to 16 channels, telemetry, bla bla bla. It does have a fairly steep learning curve. I've heard it compared to using Linux. Online forums and YouTube vids can bring you up to speed fairly quickly though. Taranis only works with Taranis receivers unless you get a module for it.

To me, the Spektrum kind of makes the Taranis feel kinda cheap, even though it cost more. Both have programmable voice functions. I do like the simplicity of the Spektrum compared to the Taranis.

jimmyjfly

New to the forum but not to FT. Been out of the hobby for a few years but FT got the spark going again. Glad I found this thread as I have been trying to figure out if I want to go with the Dx6 or the mz-18 and sounds like Spektrum is it. Is that still the feeling for you guys? Thanks

jamboree1

New to the forum but not to FT. Been out of the hobby for a few years but FT got the spark going again. Glad I found this thread as I have been trying to figure out if I want to go with the Dx6 or the mz-18 and sounds like Spektrum is it. Is that still the feeling for you guys? Thanks

yup

Bricks

Master member
If you get the DX6 of which I have Lemon has a deal going on 5 six channel receivers for $20

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I own... several transmitters.

I have a Spektrum... DX5e, DX7 (original), and a JR 9503 (Works with Spektrum).

I also have a Taranis

and I have the Graupner MZ-10 and the MZ-24.

The DX5e and the DX7 sit unused.

The Taranis stays in the case most of the time.

The two go two radios I have is the 9503 and the Graupner.

I LOVE the GR-18 for multirotors. And I am really starting to like the programming on the MZ-24. As much as I like the Spektrum stuff, I have been finding myself switching more and more over to the Graupner.

All of that being said. In customer support for the FT store, I often recommend the Spektrum over the Graupner for people who might want to buy the BNF planes that Horizon Hobby sells. It's a nice system and only works with Spektrum.

Also, it's been mentioned the low costs of receivers for the Spektrum system, that is definite something to take into consideration.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
If 6 channels will do you then the Spektrum has got a good feature set and you will be able to fly Spektrum BNF planes. If you want to fly Spektrum BNFs then its a good choice and you will be very unhappy with the Graupner.

If Spektrum BNF is not important to you then it is much less clear. Graupner have good features for the money. You can fly Graupner BNF planes instead. Probably can't buy them at your LHS though.

The MZ18 is a 9 channel and $100 or so more and I would think more comparable with the DX9 so I'm a bit unclear why it's these two you are choosing between. Apart from the BNF factor, the MZ18 seems the more capable TX and you get two receivers if when you buy it from FliteTest - maybe that's just the way they come. It's very pretty in the pictures and its about $100 or more cheaper than the DX9 depending which DX9 you get - haven't compared them closely.

If you ask, Spektrum has more market share so is going to win the popularity contest. There is some advantage in that - local support is more likely - but with the interweb that's much less important than perhaps it once was.

6 channels is enough for many things right up until it's not. Then it's annoying you only have 6.

I don't have either - I chose a Taranis because it suits me better.

Last edited:

jimmyjfly

The MZ18 is a 9 channel and $100 or so more and I would think more comparable with the DX9 so I'm a bit unclear why it's these two you are choosing between.

Thanks for all the info! I was first looking to get the Dx6 due it's popularity and good reviews and then I saw the Versacoptor build episode where Josh was using the GR-18 with the MZ-12. This is when I started to look into the Graupner series and have to admit the color touch screen touchscreen on the MZ-18 is pretty cool, which is why I was looking at it. I started the hobby flying 4ch fixed pitch heli but would like to start getting into planes and what Spektrum BNF has to offer, I think I might go that way. :D

MrClean

If I were you I'd got with the Spektrum.

ME, I went Taranis. It's not that hard of a learning curve, really. Can you change the oil in your car? You can handle it. But I realize it may be overkill and I flew for years on 4-6 channels with dual rates that you set with a screw driver. Flew better then a decade with no dual rates. The most fun flying I still have are bank and yank I don't even touch the switches on. So I can see the Taranis as un-neccesary overkill. On the other hand, you get that overkill at a fraction of the price that big rx wants to sell you for twice the price and you can still use it like a 4 channel radio.

HawkMan

If I were you I'd got with the Spektrum.

ME, I went Taranis. It's not that hard of a learning curve, really. Can you change the oil in your car? You can handle it. But I realize it may be overkill and I flew for years on 4-6 channels with dual rates that you set with a screw driver. Flew better then a decade with no dual rates. The most fun flying I still have are bank and yank I don't even touch the switches on. So I can see the Taranis as un-neccesary overkill. On the other hand, you get that overkill at a fraction of the price that big rx wants to sell you for twice the price and you can still use it like a 4 channel radio.

For that price he can get the Horus though

HawkMan

I own... several transmitters.

I have a Spektrum... DX5e, DX7 (original), and a JR 9503 (Works with Spektrum).

I also have a Taranis

and I have the Graupner MZ-10 and the MZ-24.

The DX5e and the DX7 sit unused.

The Taranis stays in the case most of the time.

The two go two radios I have is the 9503 and the Graupner.

I LOVE the GR-18 for multirotors. And I am really starting to like the programming on the MZ-24. As much as I like the Spektrum stuff, I have been finding myself switching more and more over to the Graupner.

All of that being said. In customer support for the FT store, I often recommend the Spektrum over the Graupner for people who might want to buy the BNF planes that Horizon Hobby sells. It's a nice system and only works with Spektrum.

Also, it's been mentioned the low costs of receivers for the Spektrum system, that is definite something to take into consideration.

And DSM* modules, which the Taranis/Horus can fit use. from cheap orange ones to the proper custom ones.

Personally, while the Graupner receiver/FC combo is nice. I don't see them as worth the premium you have to pay, for a more limited radio. and the german accent voice. And anyone who flies multirotos seriously be them race quads or larger AP platforms would use another high performance fully tweakable FC anyway, or a fully featured autonomous one like a Pixhawk or similar for AP.

hyrulian

a n00b's question on this

Hey flyingmonkey, so I am a total n00b to this hobby as in I have been bingeing FT on youtube for the past week and doing a ton of research on the mountain of information that is the multirotor hobby. The only wall I seem to be hitting is what receiver to start out with. I have seen the build videos for the versacopter V2 with the Graupner GR-18 and that seems to be the way I want to go to start out with (as in I have ordered the kit with the power pack E). However the the Graupner MZ-12 with GB-18 combo is sold out so it gave me time to pause and read more about transmitters. This seems like a hobby I will be diving into and I am totally comfortable with spending the money for the MZ-18 to MZ-24. So the silly question is in the versacopter builds FT uses the MZ-12 to program the GR-18 is that still possible with the MZ-18 or MZ-24? And if so, with me knowing that I will be building more and flying more will it be worth it to start out with the MZ-18? This is the last piece of the puzzle I need start this obvious obsession haha, well that and finding flying fields 30 miles from where I live due to the FAA's No Drone Zone here whomp whomp. Thanks again.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hey flyingmonkey,

Hey hyrulian!

so I am a total n00b to this hobby as in I have been bingeing FT on youtube for the past week and doing a ton of research on the mountain of information that is the multirotor hobby. The only wall I seem to be hitting is what receiver to start out with. I have seen the build videos for the versacopter V2 with the Graupner GR-18 and that seems to be the way I want to go to start out with (as in I have ordered the kit with the power pack E). However the the Graupner MZ-12 with GB-18 combo is sold out so it gave me time to pause and read more about transmitters.

Yeah... not sure when we'll get more in. Hopefully soon.

This seems like a hobby I will be diving into and I am totally comfortable with spending the money for the MZ-18 to MZ-24. So the silly question is in the versacopter builds FT uses the MZ-12 to program the GR-18 is that still possible with the MZ-18 or MZ-24?

Absolutely. I use the GR-24 as my main transmitter right now. It works very well with the GR-18.

And if so, with me knowing that I will be building more and flying more will it be worth it to start out with the MZ-18? This is the last piece of the puzzle I need start this obvious obsession haha, well that and finding flying fields 30 miles from where I live due to the FAA's No Drone Zone here whomp whomp. Thanks again.

I'll start by saying that I LOVE my Graupner. The GR18 is the best system for the first time DIY multirotor pilot in my opinion.

That said. I'd go with a nice DX6 as a first radio. There's just too many Bind and Fly systems out there that you wouldn't be able to take advantage of. And there's super cheap receivers available which means you can get a lot of aircraft into the air at an affordable price.

There's nothing wrong with the Graupner systems that I can see. But buy a "cheap" first radio, and then learn what you want your radio to do for you. Once you invest a lot of money into a radio system you're "stuck" with it until you spend the needed money to refit all of your aircraft with the new brand of receivers.

If you go with the MZ-18, feel free to call on me for assistance. It's pretty easy to use, but there's a few things that were confusing for me, since I've pretty much only had Spektrum for the past several years.

hyrulian

thanks for the quick reply

Flyingmonkey, thanks for the quick reply. so just to clear it up if I want more out of the box options with an inexpensive transmitter i should go with the DX6. But if I want an easier first time set up I should go with the Graupner? The trade off being if I go spektrum I would have to do a Naze 32 build and have inexpensive receivers going forward. Or the Graupner way would just me a quick start up and possibly more expensive receivers later? again thanks for the advice.