HAM's of Flitetest...Say Hello!!!

T-37 RAFB

Hello

Hello, I’m David. My call sign is kb5mjb and I’m in San Antonio. My wife, son and I are all HAMs. I started flying 2 years ago and due to some health problems I had to take some time off. I’m back in the hobby now. I just recently got my first FPV platform, the blade inductrix FPV. Maybe we could have a Saturday afternoon meet and greet, 2106890037.

mrf

Aw man that brings back some memories. I got my Novice Restricted license back in 1996 when I was 15, but let it lapse because I didn't have the money back then to keep it up to date ($50 per year was a lot for me back then). I think someone has since pinched my old callsign, VK3HRT.

The N/R license was pretty new back then, you only had to sit theory and regs (no morse), but you were restricted to VHF.

Still have very fond memories of Dad's Model 15 in the shed pumping out the Spitfire tape :)

ahub

HAM SINCE 1973

HAM SINCE 1973, Flying for 4 years,, love both hobbies, Call Sign "KC4CT" live in GOD's Country, Mt Dora in Central Florida
Fly giants to Flite Test foam boards, would like to hear from locals email me at " secondseat79@gmail.com"

May the Winds be Calm, the Rain in another county, and great landings. and Yes, I DO call that a landing! It's on the ground, isn't it?!

BILLS LAW: Bills Law specifically states that it covers ANYTHING that Murphy may have forgot, omitted, or plain didn't know in the first place. There fore if it can happen it WILL happen to ME.

Attachments

17.9 KB · Views: 7

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So a quick question for all you guys that have been in the HAM realm for a while. I know a lot of us would like to fly legally with the FPV. Whats the chances that some of you will be at FFO and are able to administer testing for people who may be ready to go for the technician class certification? Would there be a possibility to maybe organize a test session or two (due to volunteer schedules that may conflict)

I like some others do not do well in test taking situations but am fine with the practical applications of things. Found that out in the Navy decades ago. Knew the material, did well on sims and practical stuff but either barely scraped by on formal testing or flat out bombed. I am thinking a less formal place like FFO where happiness and other good vibes are may ease some peoples test taking anxieties rather then some stuffy government building like DMV or where ever these tests happen.

bitogre

So a quick question for all you guys that have been in the HAM realm for a while. I know a lot of us would like to fly legally with the FPV. Whats the chances that some of you will be at FFO and are able to administer testing for people who may be ready to go for the technician class certification? Would there be a possibility to maybe organize a test session or two (due to volunteer schedules that may conflict)

I like some others do not do well in test taking situations but am fine with the practical applications of things. Found that out in the Navy decades ago. Knew the material, did well on sims and practical stuff but either barely scraped by on formal testing or flat out bombed. I am thinking a less formal place like FFO where happiness and other good vibes are may ease some peoples test taking anxieties rather then some stuffy government building like DMV or where ever these tests happen.

I think this is a great idea but I think it might be too late. I have a high enough of a HAM license to be an examiner (I am General) but, as I have yet to become one, I doubt I could do so before FFO. We need 3 General (I do not remember if one of the 3 needs to be Extra class) or above to do testing for Technician. I also do not remember if there are any other steps we would have to do to offer and how long those steps would take.

Can someone who knows all the requirements to offer the test provide the list of steps here and time to complete the steps so we can try to plan it for FFT and FFO19?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That would be cool if you could get that ball rolling for FTT. I am sure that will help a few fellow pilots out.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I think this is a great idea but I think it might be too late. I have a high enough of a HAM license to be an examiner (I am General) but, as I have yet to become one, I doubt I could do so before FFO. We need 3 General (I do not remember if one of the 3 needs to be Extra class) or above to do testing for Technician. I also do not remember if there are any other steps we would have to do to offer and how long those steps would take.

Can someone who knows all the requirements to offer the test provide the list of steps here and time to complete the steps so we can try to plan it for FFT and FFO19?

SANDARC, the San Diego Amateur Radio Council, offers free tests pretty much every weekend of the year, and are out of the Southwestern Division of HAM Radio operators and clubs. I'm thinking that it might be possible to hunt down which clubs are in the area for FFO to do so. Most HAM Radio clubs are more than happy to get people interested and suck in new people. :)

My suggestion would be, for anyone who has been to Malvern before (I've only been east of the Mississippi twice - once to Detroit, and once to Mooresville, NC), to try and contact one of the local clubs and see if they would be interested in coming out to help administer HAM Technician testing.

Maybe someone could try contacting one of these clubs? (Again, I have NO clue how close these cities are to Malvern; I'm going off of my Google Fu):

http://www.w8np.org/ - The Massillon Amateur Radio Club, Massillon, Ohio

http://www.w8al.org/ - Canton Amateur Radio Club, Inc., Canton, Ohio

At the very least, someone could reach out to them and see if they could get together some officials to oversee a test or two, it'd go a long way in getting people legitimate. :)

Johnw

W8WAL amateur extra class
Headed to Flite Test Fest 2018 Friday July 13th

Would be cool to find a ham and RC ham net on EchoLink
John

Johnw

W8WAL amateur extra class
Headed to Flite Test Fest 2018 Friday July 13th

Would be cool to find a ham and RC ham net on EchoLink
John

Wish I had seen this thread before, I am a registered volunteer examiner. Maybe another time.

Barry K Smith

Has anyone looked into using any of the 2M freqs for RC that have been deregulated by the FCC? I was just thinking of how to create a very cheap way for people to get started in the fun.

Duffusmonkey

Does it count if I got my HAM license to fly long range FPV... then I never actually did it? I learned about HAM in boy scouts. I wanted to get my license and build a Heathkit radio. Unfortunately the cost of a radio was more than I could afford at the time. Back then you also had to pass a Morse code test and it was just too much.

I started listening to the Crashcast podcast about 6 years ago when my own kids were old enough for Boy Scouts. Crash Hancock was the best ambassador for HAM radio and he got me excited all over again. I got my HAM radio license just to fulfill a old dream I had. I looked at Heathkit radios and was sad to discover that the company was long gone and the radios were still very expensive. I did buy a cheap chinese handheld radio but I never used it.

Unfortunately my kids quickly lost interest in RC so my radio and Minibipe have been collecting dust. Now that my kids have gone to college I have enough spare time that I am dusting off my old toys. I couldn't get the Crashcast feed to work on Stitcher so I looked on YouTube and found the last episode. I was very sad to learn that Crash Hancock had died. After being in the Chatroom for a lot of live broadcast it really felt like I lost a friend. I loaded up my flight sim and discoved I still had an custom screen on my radio :)

Attachments

• 9X_CRASH.JPG
    9X_CRASH.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Thought I posted to this thread long ago. Guess not... My Dad is a HAM, (not active for a long time). I had RXes from about 10 on and have studied on and off for several decades before finally taking the test in 2016. Just never had the itch until I found FliteTest and FPV. That is my primary use since about 2016, and I do weather spotting on the side.

73'
KE8ELK
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I will re state an idea about getting more people's technician class for FPV.

Maybe you guys with the higher level licences start organizing now for FFO21 to maybe do a one day refresher course and maybe two or three actual tests that way people who are scheduled as volunteer would have a better shot of timing a test during the three days.