• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Help! My motor has a hard time getting started and then binds up a little over 50% throttle.

I got some motors for a quad build I'm doing but one of the motors burned up so I decided to re-purpose the others into planes. But they have this weird problem with not spinning. With everything connected I have to feather the throttle to get the motor spinning and then it jams up after half throttle and stops spinning and starts twitching. I'm including a video so if anyone else recognizes this and has a solution, I'd be glad to hear it. I'm using an 1804 2400kv motor with an 1800mAh battery, and a 20 amp esc. I've already tried calibrating the esc. The next thing I'll try is resoldering all the connectors.

messyhead

I've had this with the last motor. I couldn't even get it to spin, it just stuttered. I calibrated the esc, but no luck.

I replaced the esc, but that didn't fix it, so I replaced the motor and it all works now.

I just put it down to a bad motor, as I hadn't actually flown this one.

However, the last time I disconnected it, one of the connectors broke, so I'm going to try resoldering them and see if it fixes it.

Flitedesign 3d

I've had this with the last motor. I couldn't even get it to spin, it just stuttered. I calibrated the esc, but no luck.

I replaced the esc, but that didn't fix it, so I replaced the motor and it all works now.

I just put it down to a bad motor, as I hadn't actually flown this one.

However, the last time I disconnected it, one of the connectors broke, so I'm going to try resoldering them and see if it fixes it.
Usually one broken wire of the 3 causes this kind of stutter problem. You can check if the wires are fine by testing the conductivity between two motor wires

Merv

You could have a problem with the motor OR the esc. You will need to do some trials to see which is at fault. If you can prove one motor & one esc is good, use the good one to test the others.

I have had some motors make a grinding noise or seize up completely. Upon inspection there was a piece of metal or grit, the motor needed to be taken apart and cleaned with an old tooth brush.

@messyhead is correct, a broken lead or wire between the motor & esc can cause a motor to stutter. It's a good idea to give all of the leads a gentle pull test to see if one is about to come free.

messyhead

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I finally got it fixed. It was a simple re solder on all the connections and now the motor is working great. Thanks for helping a new guy figure out this hobby.
That's good to know. I might try re-soldering my one and see if it fixes it too.