Hobbyzone Supercub Best Plane EVER

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
You won't be the first person that I will continue to disagree with.
My friend Lee despises the lovable cub so much that it motivated him to design his own trainer.
http://crashtesthobby.com/products/albatross- I have one of these and it's a great flyer.
<Ninja opinion>
HZ Supercub is the best one box trainer out there and possibly one of the best planes ever!
</Ninja opinion>
If you're gonna be around in the hobby for a while you are going to be modding planes. The SC is a great plane to mod.
The airframe is adaptable and easily upgradable.
If this plane is in the truck it get flown :)

earthsciteach

Next time someone wants to give away a Super Cub, I'll be more than happy to take it off their hands!

The appeal of the Super Cub, for me, is that it is an airplane that is so pilot friendly in its stock form. It was my first RC plane and I was able to take off, fly and land safely on my first flight without the help of anyone. After I "outgrew" it, I upgraded it to brushless with flaperons and shortened/flattened the wing. It is still simple enough to fly that I feel confident turning it over to new(er) pilots. And it is crazy versatile for mods/add-ons/sailplane towing/bottle rocket launching(not that I encourage this activity)/any number of ridiculously fun and somewhat silly RC endeavors!

It IS the best plane EVER! (in my humble opinion).:D

Fishbonez

Its all been said no need to say anymore. The SC teaches you so much from learning to fly to lerning how to fix and build your own. If I tried to learn to fly on a champ I would have already tossed it in the trash due to frustration. If you live at sealevel or an area where wind is not the norm then all means pick up a champ and have a hay day. But here in Wyoming if you dont have an indoor area you will have more fingers than flights with it. This of course is my Humble, Outrageouse, you must be a knuckle head if you listen to him to much, Bonez Opinion :cool:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Bonez- Do you have any flying wings in your hangar?
I have a couple of flying wings with my any time I fly.
We have mountains that break up the wind, but wind is often an issue here too.
I'll fly my larger flying wings in almost anything including 30mph steady winds.
They help me fly on days where otherwise I wouldn't even think about it
:)
Back on topic- Supercub rocks

Fishbonez

Well i Have a wild hawk not sure if that qualifies as a flying wing but...I love to fly it in the wind though 30mph and I will blow the wings off it :cool:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The flying precision is not what makes the super cub great. It's not the light weight, the high end electronics or the super efficient motor. It's the fact that it doesn't have any of that. It's the fun you get from it. The super tough construction is heavy and it does get broken, but there's enough meat there that any heavy handed monkey can patch it back together without sophisticated glues, super light foam and carbon or trips to the hobby shop.

It's not that I had to do a bunch of extensive mods to get it to fly decently, it's that I could. I didn't need to mod it, but I love to mod it. I have three wings that I play with, doing various things to try out theories and such, and I know that this heavy, imperfect plane will still fly. It's pickup truck tuff. I have 12 aircraft including a champ, and this is by far my most reliable and toughest plane. I have done more crazy stuff with this plane than I ever would or will with any of my others. I know that I can torture it, crash it, make it into some morphadite and back again and it will almost never fail me. About the only thing I haven't tried with it (yet) is making it into a biplane.
I have much better flying planes, but does that mean that the cub is no good? No.

Here's another angle. You can talk about pushers and the benefits of such and you can talk about wings and all the cool things they do. But, I don't know a single person who owns a real pusher and even less people that own wings. However, I know lots of people who have cubs. Several people in my family own airplanes and they all look very much like my foam super cub. That in itself makes it more fun for me. It's not accurately scale by any means, but landing short in between the tall grass and trees and just seeing it flying around looking like a real super cub that flies by all the time adds a value for me.

Here's one more. And here's the biggest single reason I bought my first airplane (Hobbyzone Firebird Freedom)
I was a complete beginner, having never flown an airplane in my life. I saw that plane, saw that I could fly by myself without much hassle, and that I could put on the bomb drop module and my kids would have a blast chasing the parachute guy around. That bomb drop module is the single biggest reason I got into flying. I thought it would be super cool and my kids would LOVE it. I was right. They still like dropping stuff from it.

I know I know. I could build one cheaper that would work better and it could...........I know. But for a new pilot with very little free time on my hands the option of just buying it, clipping it on and plugging it in and not having to mess with it was a huge incentive for me. Now remember, this is just my opinion, but that is why I got into the hobby. A bomb drop module caught my eye, and now I'm scratch building planes and flying nitro helis.

I got out of the hobby after I ruined my firebird but a couple years ago a friend and I got the cubs and started flying together and it took off all over again. I still had the bomb drop, the kids still loved it and now I had someone to streamer dog fight with. The rest is history.

Does that mean the super cub is the best plane ever?

Yes. For me it does. Without the super cub I wouldn't be flying at all.

But it would be cost neutral to make it so much better. Ditch the propriety stuff and put a standard ESC in, put normal servos in, use a brushless motor (there so cheap nowadays that there's no benefit for going brushed). Have precut section for servos in the wing if you want to install ailerons.
The bomb drop module would be better if it was servo driven as well. Then it could be used with a standard receiver. The bomb drop module using the magnets is too weak as it comes apart half the time when it's not supposed to.
Don't forget as it is currently just to put two servos in for ailerons means replacing the ESC, receiver and all the other servos. If its so fun to mod then why not make it easy? This would extend its use beyond a simple beginner trainer.
I do wish the sonic combat module was plug n play for other planes. Seems a bit silly using the SC for combat when the warbirds can't.

earthsciteach

From that standpoint, you have a good point. Its been so long, I forgot about the proprietary servos and brushed esc. That was agitating. Selling it with a 20 amp esc and smaller brushless motor shouldn't cause any price increase. Then, its simply a matter of adding a larger motor for a few bucks.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Brett- as before you are making good sense. I honestly believe HH should offer the Supercub in a Brushless 4 chanel version. I don't know what they are thinking. It would definitely make what I think is a great plane even better. They are putting all kind of features into the UMX planes, why not spend a little time on updating the Cub. The Cub is awesome, a 4ch Brushless cub (from the box) would be awesomer.

You don't have to replace the servos and the reciever to upgrade the newer version.
To upgrade to brushless on the new version you just add an ESC and motor (and mount). It plugs into the thro port on the newer receiver.
Likewise the new receiver has a place to plug in the aileron servo and you can just use a regular Y cable and whatever servos.

They must have a few shipping containers of those old brushed motors laying around. I can't imagine there is ANY demand for them.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The servos are only proprietary on the old LP version with the FM radio. All of the BNF versions and DSM versions have a 4 channel receiver/ESC and it was as easy as taking the servos out of my crashed CX3 and gluing them into the wing with a Y-harness.

The Bomb drop module is weak to prevent anyone from carrying more weight than it's designed to or carrying potentially hazardous objects like rocks and getting Horizon Hobby sued by angry parents.

The combat module was compatible with the warbirds with a simple mod. You just had to cut a hole to run the cable to your esc but the port is there. Those were all the warbirds with the same brushed 480 motor and speed control. Those have since been discontinued and replaced with brushless planes.

When Horizon is selling tons of these planes and it costs money to retool the production line, does it really make financial sense to update the cub? Maybe when they stop selling them they'll come out with something new.

There is a version with the things you're looking for.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-cub-25e-arf-EFL4625

It has more scale, more control, more power, more features, everything you could want. Why are you hating the HZ Cub?

kuol

Hi!
Should I get the Super Cub or the Dynam EZ Hawk as my first plane? I can't decide.
Thanks in advance!

Fishbonez

Hi!
Should I get the Super Cub or the Dynam EZ Hawk as my first plane? I can't decide.
Thanks in advance!

Both planes are great for beginners, I am partial to SC because of the fact I think you can do more with it, rolls, flips. Not to mention that it was also my first plane so I may be a bit biassed. Where the hawk is more of a sail plane or thermal type plane. On the opposite side of the spectrum if you have a lot of wind conditions you may enjoy the Hawk more because the SC is not wind friendly right out of the box.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
If you going to go with An Easy Star type clone the Hawk Sky is probably the plane you want.
It can still be easily flown RET- but when you are ready (or even from the start if you want) can be flown with ailerons.

I still prefer the cub. Even better if you go with the bind N fly and get a Dx6i radio.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Supercub first recon. Wintery GoPro kinda windy wintery day. Yes it's long and boring but unedited except for color correction.
forward to 12:50 to see how the SC does vs. a tree.

kuol

Thanks both of you! I'm still not able to decide though, this is so hard!
If I would want to attach a small camera to the plane, which plane would be best for that?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
This won't help much. Either on of these planes can easily carry a small camera.
Is this going to be your only plane for a while or are you looking to move on to other stuff very quickly?
Do you want to build and modify stuff or do you just want a one box kit to buy and go fly?
Have you found other people to fly with? Where do you live?

If you go with the HawkSky- look at the Bixler pages here for recommended modifications etc. They are very similar planes.

If you go with the Cub there is an excellent Supercub help thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338787&page=486

If you want to build and learn bunch in the process you might even want to look at the trainers from crashtesthobby.com
You're not going to be flying one of these in an hour like you would a one box plane but you will learn a ton of stuff in the process. http://crashtesthobby.com/products/albatross

kuol

This won't help much. Either on of these planes can easily carry a small camera.
Is this going to be your only plane for a while or are you looking to move on to other stuff very quickly?
Do you want to build and modify stuff or do you just want a one box kit to buy and go fly?
Have you found other people to fly with? Where do you live?

If you go with the HawkSky- look at the Bixler pages here for recommended modifications etc. They are very similar planes.

If you go with the Cub there is an excellent Supercub help thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338787&page=486

If you want to build and learn bunch in the process you might even want to look at the trainers from crashtesthobby.com
You're not going to be flying one of these in an hour like you would a one box plane but you will learn a ton of stuff in the process. http://crashtesthobby.com/products/albatross
Yes it is going to be my only plane for a while. Right now I don't really want to modify anything just buy and fly.
I don't know anyone else that fly rc planes so I'm going to fly by myself.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Any hobbyshop anywhere stocks parts for the cub.

Nitroplanes list spares for the HawkSky.

Either plane RTF gets in the air very quickly. Might have to let some glue dry on the HawkSky.

If you go with the cub disconnect the ACT (auto crash technology) it causes more probs than is solves :)