Hostetler Cessna 185 Build Log

OliverW

Legendary member
Can't say I haven't done something similar. When I was building my great planes extra, there wasn't a scale drawing of the fuse, needless to say, I almost built a 40 size version of a 60 size extra!
That wouldn't have been fun lol. How do you like that extra? The .40 one I flew was on rails! The engine kept on leaning out in flight because the muffler was really loose lol

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
That wouldn't have been fun lol. How do you like that extra? The .40 one I flew was on rails! The engine kept on leaning out in flight because the muffler was really loose lol
It flys great, Almost like a pattern plane. I have an o.s. 60 in it that gives it good power. I also matched the color scheme to my dad's 120 midwest extra, so it's fun being able to bring out the mini version of his!
You can see both of them on the wall in the background here (they're the red and yellow ones).
IMG_20210316_121458230.jpg

dustn

Happy to see a build log for one of these! I picked up a kit, plans, and cowl/ windshield on craigslist, then I started looking around for info. Quite thin for this model in particular! Are you referencing other Hostetler builds for guidance?

OliverW

Legendary member
Happy to see a build log for one of these! I picked up a kit, plans, and cowl/ windshield on craigslist, then I started looking around for info. Quite thin for this model in particular! Are you referencing other Hostetler builds for guidance?
Awesome! I can't wait to get more work done on this monster. I'm just slowly working along and referencing the plans. They show everything I've needed so far

dustn

Awesome. The set of plans I have looked like the top view is in scale, but I'll have to double check next time I roll them out. What are you planning on using for cowl/ windshield?

What powerplant are you thinking about? The collection I picked up included a Quadra 75, but I was kinda eyeing that new Saito FG-100TS.

OliverW

Legendary member
Awesome. The set of plans I have looked like the top view is in scale, but I'll have to double check next time I roll them out. What are you planning on using for cowl/ windshield?

What powerplant are you thinking about? The collection I picked up included a Quadra 75, but I was kinda eyeing that new Saito FG-100TS.
Yeah I wonder if my plans just had a print defect or something. Or that I messed up the size of each piece lol. I'm going to get a windshield and cowl from fiberglass specialties. I'm thinking about using a GP-76 for power. It would have plenty of power

OliverW

Legendary member
Any progress? Looking forward to seeing more!

No pressure or anything... But please, some of us need to live vicariously through other people's giant scale builds. Can you halp a brother out? Please? no? ok..
Howdy, sorry for the lack of updates. Have barely done any building in the past year. I've been trying to get back to it but have had a heavy dose of life 😆 as soon as I get working on it again I'll post an update here. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later!

cyclone3350

Master member
Oh man, I hope U can get back to it. I could have a basement of a 1000 of these iconic high wings & still not have enough. I've have the Sterling plans on file that I was going to one day scale up. Didn't know that NB has the kit. When U get back to it, I'll be watching.

hello183

I was wondering, what size sticks did you use to build the fuselage of this airplane? 3/16 square? or did you use something smaller or bigger? (I mean the longerons but not the stringers outside of it though)

OliverW

Legendary member
I need to buy parts for the 185. That's another big reason why I'm not working on it. I need servos, engine, landing gear, hardware, wheels, prop, spinner, cowl, windshield, material for windows, fiberglass, etc