hybrid FB Pheonix Bixler

bracesport

Legendary member
I finally finished printing all my wing formers - 150g + CF spars (15g) + FB - should be light enough for a 1.6m wing!

IMG_6746.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
After the crash, I retired the FB fuse and decided to convert the EPS horizontal stabiliser into the V tail to fit the new 3D printed fuse. Tonight I dry fitted the tail and it all fits quite well - it might be a tad big so I’m going to sleep on it!

Images reduced to 1000px

22618C9C-5E1E-4579-ABD6-1A846DC75D8B.jpeg

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
Too big on tail feathers fixes a mess of flight, cg, and control issues with trim buttons. BTW who in their right mind thought not placing trim buttons next to the appropriate stick was a good idea?

Won't see it from Bakersfield, ugly flies just as good as pretty.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Piotrsko - There is a mode to use two buttons on the back to trim somehow - I think the process when active, is to move say the right stick and then press the left underside button to set the trim - but I have not had a go at it - they should have just put trim buttons!

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I decided to trim the V tail a smidge and used a 3D printed centre joiner - the V tail is still a tad bigger than my Vista that flew well, so I am sure it will be ok - I think the proportions look good!

My plan was to dig out the foam and glue in the joiner, then plug the hole with FB and sand it back to the original foil section - I am using epoxy to attach the tail to the fuse - so far so good! 😀

Images reduced to 1000px

18360AF5-2E11-4EAA-A6A7-2E4CC4C2824A.jpeg
4603B2C9-6891-499C-8455-E53F192DF5E9.jpeg
09AE391A-E07E-4B7C-B366-66D4B9CC0011.jpeg
55784C6D-F54B-42CA-B19C-A561441DD527.jpeg

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - The tail should be no more than the FB fuse version (no rudder weight) - the nose will be heaps lighter with no motor and heavy battery, but that will be easy to correct with some lead! :D

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - it is all a bit of trial and error on the building and problem-solving front, but I enjoy the challenges and try my best!

I weighed her without two servos for the tail, Rx, battery, BEC and any balancing weight @790g

I will plan for 1.0kgs without CG balancing weight - so as a sloper it will be a good starting point before adding ballast! :D

It is a bit of a multicoloured beast at the moment, but hey, it is a hybrid after all!