Ideas for plane building workshop...

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I am not currently. hoping to in the future. what machine are you using a plotter?
It isn’t even made yet. I am designing it from scratch. Although I hope to use a Hotwire rod to cut the foam board. I wonder what temps I can get it up to?? I think if I get it hot enough I can cruise along at a nice speed while cutting foam.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
It isn’t even made yet. I am designing it from scratch. Although I hope to use a Hotwire rod to cut the foam board. I wonder what temps I can get it up to?? I think if I get it hot enough I can cruise along at a nice speed while cutting foam.
I wanted to make a hot wire too, but I tested heating the foam and if you use something really wide, then it will melt half of the piece around it, if you are using something very thin then go ahead, but you need atleast 200 deg. c to cut through the paper.

What about templates, do folks build/buy map drawers?
Hey that's a good question @MacClarkNC. Do map drawers still exist? ;) Since everything is digital, the only professional use I can think of for them is archived historic sheets, and even those have been digitized for safe keeping...
Yes, some people here will cut templates to save, for in case they ever want to build a specific plane again. Map drawers could be quite useful. Me, as long as I can get to a printer I'm happy.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Hey that's a good question @MacClarkNC. Do map drawers still exist? ;) Since everything is digital, the only professional use I can think of for them is archived historic sheets, and even those have been digitized for safe keeping...
Yes, some people here will cut templates to save, for in case they ever want to build a specific plane again. Map drawers could be quite useful. Me, as long as I can get to a printer I'm happy.
by map drawers you mean plotters

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I wanted to make a hot wire too, but I tested heating the foam and if you use something really wide, then it will melt half of the piece around it, if you are using something very thin then go ahead, but you need atleast 200 deg. c to cut through the paper.
Thanks! That’s some swell information!

M

MCNC

by map drawers you mean plotters
They had many names and uses, just a wide file cabinet with many shallow drawers to store large sheets. I typically sandwich my templates between foam boards and lay them horizontally stacked on a closet shelf. Just curious how others may store same.

They had many names and uses, just a wide file cabinet with many shallow drawers to store large sheets. I typically sandwich my templates between foam boards and lay them horizontally stacked on a closet shelf. Just curious how others may store same.
But for the cool factor of getting hold of an old wooden one it would be worth it. For a time I worked for a 100 yr old architectural firm in Philly. I got one of the old 5' drafting tables out of the basement. That's a real treasure.

cyclone3350

Master member
But for the cool factor of getting hold of an old wooden one it would be worth it. For a time I worked for a 100 yr old architectural firm in Philly. I got one of the old 5' drafting tables out of the basement. That's a real treasure.

I agree 100%. There is absolutely nothing nerdy about an old drafting table. Just total coolness. Most of my projects start on this 60X40 board. All I need now, is a waterbed, some black lights and a disco ball for the magic to flow.

Attachments

• IMG_4637.jpg
    IMG_4637.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0