It's That Time Of Year Again: Snow Skimmer Shenanigans!

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
oh. ok. thanks is there any way to get that pattern except cutting it out from the ft 22 plans? or does the motor mount pattern not matter too much?
Pattern shouldn't matter too much, so long as you can mount your motor to it and mount it securely to your frame and it puts your motor where it needs to be . Wgat is nice about the pattern I used is that the pieces lock together so to speak making it stronger.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Pattern shouldn't matter too much, so long as you can mount your motor to it and mount it securely to your frame and it puts your motor where it needs to be . Wgat is nice about the pattern I used is that the pieces lock together so to speak making it stronger.
oh. ok. I probably ouldnt be able to cut that out with my poor jigsaw skills anyway, thanks for your help.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Egads! We actually had a decent amount of snow today! Too bad it was too warm out and not enough stayed around to be skimmable...

How to build a boat.

IMG_1944.JPG IMG_1948.JPG IMG_1950.JPG IMG_1952.JPG IMG_1981.JPG

Because of the lack of right angles on these sponsons, I have to build in a more traditional way without any A/B folds. This leaves all bare edges, sanded flush. The natural thought then is to use some sort of filler so after painting you won't see the joints. I should have learned my lesson last year. Each new layer, sanded out, calls for just one more layer to make it right, until your treating this thing like a full plywood masterpiece going for a glass finish. Ugh. Right technique, not the best choice for foamboard. But I'm finally ready for a coat of primer.

In the last pic you can see how I embedded bamboo skewers into the running edges, and also an inch and a half piece on the knife edge at the bow. Fun stuff. This is for asphalt and concrete, sticks and rocks. Last year on sharp frozen crusty snow those were the only areas that were hardly damaged at all.

Those ribs are tripled to receive the two rods that go through the fuselage, to hold the sponsons in place. In the middle layer I left a channel exactly where I want the rods to go.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
How to build a boat.

View attachment 211778 View attachment 211779 View attachment 211780 View attachment 211781 View attachment 211782

Because of the lack of right angles on these sponsons, I have to build in a more traditional way without any A/B folds. This leaves all bare edges, sanded flush. The natural thought then is to use some sort of filler so after painting you won't see the joints. I should have learned my lesson last year. Each new layer, sanded out, calls for just one more layer to make it right, until your treating this thing like a full plywood masterpiece going for a glass finish. Ugh. Right technique, not the best choice for foamboard. But I'm finally ready for a coat of primer.

In the last pic you can see how I embedded bamboo skewers into the running edges, and also an inch and a half piece on the knife edge at the bow. Fun stuff. This is for asphalt and concrete, sticks and rocks. Last year on sharp frozen crusty snow those were the only areas that were hardly damaged at all.

Those ribs are tripled to receive the two rods that go through the fuselage, to hold the sponsons in place. In the middle layer I left a channel exactly where I want the rods to go.
Looking good, very clean(y)(y)! Been waiting for some posts of this(y)(y)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Four things left, sand down all edges, install ski runners, color scheme and a final coat of clear, and figure out a canopy/hatch thing. Runners are all ready cut out of 3/32 styrene. I have canopy shape worked out but I' m kind of on the hunt for the perfect plastic bottle to do the job. Obviously its going to be mostly black but I will dress it up a bit here and there. Got the thumbs down on Spiderman :censored::censored::censored::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: so I went with plan B . Shhhhhhhhh! be vewy vewy quiet , I'm hunting wabbits!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
IMG_20211115_213331928.jpg
IMG_20211115_213355511.jpg
IMG_20211115_213501485.jpg
IMG_20211115_213421472.jpg

Four things left, sand down all edges, install ski runners, color scheme and a final coat of clear, and figure out a canopy/hatch thing. Runners are all ready cut out of 3/32 styrene. I have canopy shape worked out but I' m kind of on the hunt for the perfect plastic bottle to do the job. Obviously its going to be mostly black but I will dress it up a bit here and there. Got the thumbs down on Spiderman :censored::censored::censored::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: so I went with plan B . Shhhhhhhhh! be vewy vewy quiet , I'm hunting wabbits!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
View attachment 211788 View attachment 211789 View attachment 211790 View attachment 211791
Boy that's a thing of beauty. With all the guns and missiles I can see where you're going with action figures. :D How about a G.I. Joe?

For the two rods that secure the front sponsons, I'm sure this doesn't rate carbon fiber, so I figured on a different solution. Bamboo (the wonder wood) chopsticks. I overdid the fastening of these in the hull, but if I ever have a break or things go loose with foamboard taking stress and the holes enlarging, no repair is possible. Once I put the top deck on, this'll be hidden forever.

IMG_1972.JPG IMG_1974.JPG IMG_1976.JPG IMG_1977.JPG
IMG_1979.JPG IMG_1986.JPG IMG_1990.JPG

All those gaps inside there are stuffed pretty well with Gorilla Glue.

View attachment 211788 View attachment 211789 View attachment 211790 View attachment 211791
Have you figured out who's gonna run your machine?

29c533b82ca36956fbeeb6e8bd967d06.jpg

EDIT: I must state that this is in no way intended to hurt anyone's feelings.
I needed to make this statement, not because I fear hurting someone's feelings, but because I'd rather avoid infuriating those who think that every word you say or post you make, depending on how it's perceived, may in fact hurt someone's feelings, and everyone deserves to never ever have their feelings hurt at any time throughout their entire life.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well...
Wile E. Coyote and Woodstock have piloted my Skimmer so far. I have a few more options to try out this winter....

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member

View attachment 211820

I needed to make this statement, not because I fear hurting someone's feelings, but because I'd rather avoid infuriating those who think that every word you say or post you make, depending on how it's perceived, may in fact hurt someone's feelings, and everyone deserves to never ever have their feelings hurt at any time throughout their entire life.
Awwwww you ruined the surprise:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
For the two rods that secure the front sponsons, I'm sure this doesn't rate carbon fiber, so I figured on a different solution. Bamboo (the wonder wood) chopsticks. I overdid the fastening of these in the hull, but if I ever have a break or things go loose with foamboard taking stress and the holes enlarging, no repair is possible. Once I put the top deck on, this'll be hidden forever.

View attachment 211813 View attachment 211814 View attachment 211815 View attachment 211816
View attachment 211817 View attachment 211818 View attachment 211819

All those gaps inside there are stuffed pretty well with Gorilla Glue.
Yep thats pretty solid , Bamboo is truly a wonder wood (y)(y)

Baron VonHelton

Elite member

View attachment 211820

WAIT......

A Ken doll is the correct size for Mighty Mini Scale??

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
HA! Found some things.......The Steve Trevor doll is wearing the Pour Le Merit......!!!

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Attachments

• wonder-woman-steve-trevor-barbie-ken-paradise-island-set-dwf48-mint-19.jpg
    wonder-woman-steve-trevor-barbie-ken-paradise-island-set-dwf48-mint-19.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010-10-11 Flight Jackets and Caps 009 collage.jpg
    2010-10-11 Flight Jackets and Caps 009 collage.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 73b2e7aaf00ed458d6a209e63bd14002.jpg
    73b2e7aaf00ed458d6a209e63bd14002.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 734663.jpg