It's That Time Of Year Again: Snow Skimmer Shenanigans!

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
yeah but not on normal land. I am thinking, can I add small floats to my sever 2 and also use it as a water boat?? never thought about that
with the right floats and a lightweight frame it should be doable
1637171177939.png

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Hey thanks CBF. Let's cross our fingers - If this goes the way I'm hoping, we'll be seeing it skimming across virgin powder at eleventeen hundred mph blowing up a 60' rooster tail of loose snow behind it. Or something like that. :D
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Only eleventeen hundred mph, you are setting the bar way too low for yourself!

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Hey thanks CBF. Let's cross our fingers - If this goes the way I'm hoping, we'll be seeing it skimming across virgin powder at eleventeen hundred mph blowing up a 60' rooster tail of loose snow behind it. Or something like that. :D

Eveleventeen? Izzat a word??

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bo123

Elite member
Even though I don't ,and will never, get snow where I am, I will try to participate anyway. I have started a little f-pack sized skimmer, for land. I managed to get the first test in, and it works pretty well. The only problems I was having was the the side stabilizers were digging into the grass. I removed them, and it flipped over. Will get pictures when I get the better side stabilizers installed.

Bo123

Elite member
Okay so I have redone the stabs, and I have been doing some testing. It is really good and stable. I was having fun on the road before the battery ran out. Its too dark to take photos now so you will have to wait until tommorow.

Wow, I just now realized I'd better run some motor wires inside there before I glue the deck on and close this up forever. Good catch. :LOL::LOL::LOL: There's no access hatch until after that last bulkhead. :oops:
IMG_2018.JPG .. IMG_2020.JPG

Oh by the way, it's completely possible to spray paint bare foam without having it melt. Or virtually no melting. I decided to try to stop overdoing it (CPBD) and just finish the bare edges in as simple a way as possible. No filler or glue on the edges, just "imagine a gentle mist of paint falling on the piece". It'll still look incredible going at eleventeen gazillion mph over powdery snow, finished edges or not.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Wow, I just now realized I'd better run some motor wires inside there before I glue the deck on and close this up forever. Good catch. :LOL::LOL::LOL: There's no access hatch until after that last bulkhead. :oops:
View attachment 212153 .. View attachment 212154

Oh by the way, it's completely possible to spray paint bare foam without having it melt. Or virtually no melting. I decided to try to stop overdoing it (CPBD) and just finish the bare edges in as simple a way as possible. No filler or glue on the edges, just "imagine a gentle mist of paint falling on the piece". It'll still look incredible going at eleventeen gazillion mph over powdery snow, finished edges or not.
Looking good, I totally went CPBD on my edges and then some:LOL::LOL:

Sadly there are no cookies on the Dark Side, at this point I think enough is enough, I could just keep sanding and sealing and painting but I am stopping here, time for a coat of clear and get this done.
View attachment 212215 View attachment 212216 View attachment 212217 View attachment 212218
Well it's truly an outstanding project. (Besides being so obviously unfinished.) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Seriously, speaking with someone else around here, I referred to you as a creative genius. You sure have created a little sci fi masterpiece in this one. Doesn't it get a Spiderman?

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Well it's truly an outstanding project. (Besides being so obviously unfinished.) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Seriously, speaking with someone else around here, I referred to you as a creative genius. You sure have created a little sci fi masterpiece in this one. Doesn't it get a Spiderman?
I'm trying to work it in somewhere, you know me always have a plan:whistle::whistle:

I'm foreseeing a big problem coming up: Lack of snow. The FB2 will probably go so fast it either melts the snow or blows it all into the Hudson River.
Change of plan: put wings on it.

I've had this idea since last year but didn't want to add a bunch of complication to the build without knowing if it'll really matter anyway. I was gonna ask you guys what you think but figured that wouldn't help; I think I know what the consensus would be: Sounds cool! Try it, see how it turns out. That's what I would say.

I'm guessing I might have to do it. To put not only a rudder but also an elevator at the stern. At screaming speeds, I think it would be easy to hit a bump and go flying, rotating in pitch as you do. That could create an ugly wreck, coming down on the nose or the tail. So I wonder if an elevator on a flight stabilizer would help? Could never correct fast enough on your own, but the computer is plenty fast. I think the boat needs to be at a real high speed for an elevator to have a noticeable effect, but it won't do anything at all if I don't build it into the design.

Then: it's probably just as easy to be pitching AND rolling in the air. No sense adding this tech if it rolls sideways as it goes, so make it elevons instead. Two servos on auto. Ok I guess I'll try. In all seriousness I think this boat might go faster than anything deserves to, as long as I can keep it stuck to the ground. This Gyro setup might help just a bit with stability. We'll see.

Screenshot 2021-11-23 153457.png .. Screenshot 2021-11-23 153646.png

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have been contemplating making my Boogie Board (bigger than the kick board skimmer already working) A fully FLYING capable snow skimmer....

Twin ducted fans and elevons. Would obviously be water capable like the Kick Skimmer....

I have been contemplating making my Boogie Board (bigger than the kick board skimmer already working) A fully FLYING capable snow skimmer....

Twin ducted fans and elevons. Would obviously be water capable like the Kick Skimmer....
Do it. I've had a similar idea ever since I saw Josh make a sort of snow Nutball. Loved it, and there's so many things you can do with the concept.