It's That Time Of Year Again: Snow Skimmer Shenanigans!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Well the 3D printer almost broke itself, but Iā€™m making good progress printing out all the bdf parts and the fins when I can. Iā€™m also working on the plans for the foam board body, although Iā€™ll be out of town most of next week so hopefully I can get all the printing done before then.

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Almost ready to take it out for a go. Everything is installed, had some good test runs on the carpet LOL. About to apply some vinyl and give it a final coat of clear and its done. Final weight without battery is 259 grams, trimmed a lot of weight from version one.
IMG_20220207_212510902.jpg

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Just a couple of more pieces of blue vinyl and touch up the black paint on the motor mount and this puppy is good to go tomorrow. Woo-Hoo!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Finally had the right project to use up a piece of carbon fibre wrap vinyl that I have had for over a year now.
IMG_20220208_220920369.jpg
IMG_20220208_220935545.jpg

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Just a couple of more pieces of blue vinyl and touch up the black paint on the motor mount and this puppy is good to go tomorrow. Woo-Hoo!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Finally had the right project to use up a piece of carbon fibre wrap vinyl that I have had for over a year now.
View attachment 218383 View attachment 218382
It would be nice to have real carbon fiber or fiberglass on there for asphalt skidding

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
does vinyl hold up well? what type do you use? I want to use some on the cruiser
Vinyl holds up really well, added strength. Normally put a coat of clear on foamboard to make putting it on easier and for better adhesion. I used 3M vinyl on this but cheaper stuff will work just as well I have found. Just remember vinyl will not hide blemishes at all, in fact it will make them stand out more, and also its extra added weight - my snow skimmer went from 259 grams to 306 after the vinyl was applied and I wouldn't consider it to be an overly large vehicle so something like a 40" wingspan plane could easily add 100 grams or more weight depending on the vinyl. Your best bet is to go with a 2 mil vinyl to keep weight down as much as possible. Let me know if you need to know anything else for your Cruiser vinyl(y)(y)

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
It would be nice to have real carbon fiber or fiberglass on there for asphalt skidding
I'm actually looking around work here for some thin styrene to put on the bottom of the pontoons for that purpose. Pretty sure I have the perfect stuff, just have to find a scrap of it LOL

I'm actually looking around work here for some thin styrene to put on the bottom of the pontoons for that purpose. Pretty sure I have the perfect stuff, just have to find a scrap of it LOL
I mentioned before - I inset bamboo pieces into my running edges on my FB2. The flat areas might get nicked but any real damage is likely to happen on the edges. BUT my sponsons ride on edges more than flat surfaces. One way to do it.

I kept having the idea in my head to use very thin zip ties to run along the bottom edges of my Widgeon, left and right side. Gave it up for not wanting to overcomplicate anything. Repeat after me: It doesn't really matter. :D (Unless you'll be running it on gravel/asphalt/concrete!)

Taildragger

Legendary member
Vinyl holds up really well, added strength. Normally put a coat of clear on foamboard to make putting it on easier and for better adhesion. I used 3M vinyl on this but cheaper stuff will work just as well I have found. Just remember vinyl will not hide blemishes at all, in fact it will make them stand out more, and also its extra added weight - my snow skimmer went from 259 grams to 306 after the vinyl was applied and I wouldn't consider it to be an overly large vehicle so something like a 40" wingspan plane could easily add 100 grams or more weight depending on the vinyl. Your best bet is to go with a 2 mil vinyl to keep weight down as much as possible. Let me know if you need to know anything else for your Cruiser vinyl(y)(y)
honestly I was just going to paint the whole thing white (I have no clue what paint to use either) and then I was thinking of using vinyl for the red and black
I guess since this a snow skimmer thread I should post a reference picture with it in the snow
1644417149896.png

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I mentioned before - I inset bamboo pieces into my running edges on my FB2. The flat areas might get nicked but any real damage is likely to happen on the edges. BUT my sponsons ride on edges more than flat surfaces. One way to do it.

I kept having the idea in my head to use very thin zip ties to run along the bottom edges of my Widgeon, left and right side. Gave it up for not wanting to overcomplicate anything. Repeat after me: It doesn't really matter. :D (Unless you'll be running it on gravel/asphalt/concrete!)
I'm liking the zip tie thing, that would work rather well I think, I might just use that idea , (y)(y)thanks buddy

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
3M and Oracal are both good brands. Are you cutting by hand or machine? In your case I would go with the Oracal , if you are cutting by machine I would be more than happy to create cut files for you(y)