Little tip for aligning paper tiles before taping

Igoo57

I finally have some time to get back into building and was starting the FW-42 build for FF 2018 - Ohio. I really hate trying to hold the plans and tape them together. I recently purchased magnetic pushpins from Amazon. Those and a 24 inch steel rule make taping plans much easier. Start with holding down one tile with a few magnetic pushpins. Then cut a couple tabs in the second tile to aid in alignment. Fold the tabs back a little and align the second tile. Hold it in place with more magnetic pushpins and tape. This way even little interruptions don't affect the alignment.

Paper_plan_alignment.jpg

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
I hadn't thought to use a slice in the paper to help with alignment. I typically cut along the dashed lines with a photo trimmer after cutting through the corner of the tile (to allow the dashed line to align with the blade track). Now you've got me thinking that I could use a hole punch and open up spots along the plan to check the alignment of the dashed lines.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I like this idea! My wife has a bunch of these magnetic push pins for a magnetic whiteboard on her desk; I may have to "appropriate" some of them for building. LOL

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The one thing that always puzzled me is that most CAD and drawing programs have a "Grid" to aid on the drawing and alignment process.

Yet this grid is not printed! If it was printed as a background faded feature it would allow for more points of reference for aligning tiles after a tiled print.

Just thinking!

Have fun!