Long EZ - FT Style

jpot1

Elite member
Updated plans now on the first post. Next version will keep this wingspan but go with a fold-over wing. Maybe symmetrical and will try to hide the servos. Most likely will enlarge elevons and winglets as there was a bit of waggle.

Keno

I am impressed with your long easy. Go with the symmetrical I am not sure of your wing thickness I used 3/16" thick for spars maybe it has application for you long easy. I found for the fold if you hold down on the trailing with wing sitting on it bottom and then watch the leading edge as it comes up you may have to apply a bit of pressure on it to achieve symmetrical. For these plane types symmetrical/semi symmetrical is best. I removed the paper from the inside less the ailerons and found it helps with fold and remove unneeded weight. Maybe this info can offer you with some ideas, maybe good or bad as you may find them. I really liked you video your long easy flight YOU HAVE A WINNER.

jpot1

Elite member
Thanks Keno, I had seen your pylon racer thread and I have done something similar in my ‘Cuda thread. I will probably go bigger for the spar as I want it to be vertical due to longer wingspan.

jpot1

Elite member
The rebuild begins. Going with a foldover wing same chord as on the KFM build. No undercamber wingtips so I can have a tab and more glue area for the wing tips. Tapered spar and removing the paper on the inside top for a smooth curved fold over.

82AABD87-CFEC-4F91-A8CF-2C097D0B37ED.jpeg
DD259750-6CEE-4CFF-998F-DD1468C68434.jpeg
DDA38C21-5DDF-49E1-96C3-499B954B8CF9.jpeg

Keno

Really like your larger build and your continued work on its design. Your new wing is spot on. Keep moving forward and please video its flight I am looking forward to it.

FlyingCurry

jpot1

Elite member
Looking great Jason. Do you prefer the fold over wing to KF airfoil, or is it that the fold over wing has greater strength?

All about the strength. My fault for not adding enough spars on the KFM wing but at the tips I could bend it up 2-3". I was concerned about folding a wing.

The negative is that this will be a little heavier. Positive is that there is little to no flex and I can hide the servo.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I maidened mine this weekend... it went badly.
Very Badly.

I'm sure with SOME (read Lots) of glue, and adding tape, I may be ready again by the end of the week.
I must have had the balance wrong. 1.25" behind the point the main wing hole.
Based on some other source it's near the front extender pieces. Well this time before I motor-up I will glide it, into long grass.

I still love the look of this plane and it is Very simple to build.

jpot1

Elite member
Ouch - sorry to hear that FoamyDM. The little one was a handful which is why I am now building bigger. Hopefully you are willing to give it a go again when I have the plans ready!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
All about the strength. My fault for not adding enough spars on the KFM wing but at the tips I could bend it up 2-3". I was concerned about folding a wing.

The negative is that this will be a little heavier. Positive is that there is little to no flex and I can hide the servo.

If you want to stiffen a single layer of FB for use as a wing or a KFM wing there is a simple method which is surprisingly effective and does not use large embedded spars. Simply paint each piece in (water based), white wood glue on both sides and allow to dry fully before painting.

I first tried it on my FB version of the a Depron pan for a 3 channel biplane called "Otto" from a combat pair called "Otto Vs Eddie". Not a good design for a heavy construction material but even after ripping the wings off numerous times in a myriad of crashes all the wings suffered from in impact damage were a few LE creases and the mounting holes for the wings being enlarged quite often. The wings did not fold or crease once even though some of the crashes were full throttle, Vertically), into trees.

A simple method to increase the rigidity of a KFM wing is to use knife cuts span-wise in each wing and to insert glue coated pieces to very thin Balsa. When the glue is dry the wing is almost as rigid as you would expect if you had used a CF spar but without digging a large channel. It is a simple method of adding post construction wing strength and rigidity without the need for a redesign or the construction of a new wing!

Try the methods on a few bits of scrap FB and amaze yourself!

Have fun!

jpot1

Elite member
If you want to stiffen a single layer of FB for use as a wing or a KFM wing there is a simple method which is surprisingly effective and does not use large embedded spars. Simply paint each piece in (water based), white wood glue on both sides and allow to dry fully before painting.

I first tried it on my FB version of the a Depron pan for a 3 channel biplane called "Otto" from a combat pair called "Otto Vs Eddie". Not a good design for a heavy construction material but even after ripping the wings off numerous times in a myriad of crashes all the wings suffered from in impact damage were a few LE creases and the mounting holes for the wings being enlarged quite often. The wings did not fold or crease once even though some of the crashes were full throttle, Vertically), into trees.

A simple method to increase the rigidity of a KFM wing is to use knife cuts span-wise in each wing and to insert glue coated pieces to very thin Balsa. When the glue is dry the wing is almost as rigid as you would expect if you had used a CF spar but without digging a large channel. It is a simple method of adding post construction wing strength and rigidity without the need for a redesign or the construction of a new wing!

Try the methods on a few bits of scrap FB and amaze yourself!

Have fun!
Thanks @Hai-Lee , I am planning to give the balsa covered glue inserts a shot once I get a little further along with v2.

FoamyDM

Ouch - sorry to hear that FoamyDM. The little one was a handful which is why I am now building bigger. Hopefully you are willing to give it a go again when I have the plans ready!
Don't worry, I will give it another go. and Glue it again, and then

This what happened to my little Long EZ! My son modified it. Let it be a warning to other beta scratch builds! View attachment 108329
Wait your son made it amazing looking or changed the canard (or both). Oh, wait, I see the Bright Idea he had. ;)
He installed a light plasma engine.

or will that become a lamp?

FlyingCurry

Don't worry, I will give it another go. and Glue it again, and then

Wait your son made it amazing looking or changed the canard (or both). Oh, wait, I see the Bright Idea he had. ;)
He installed a light plasma engine.

or will that become a lamp?
If only a light plasma engine would get it to fly😏🤔

FoamyDM

If you can balance it right, I bet you could!

Btw here is a pic of the damage to the LongEZ. Doesn't sting so bad after a while. I will replace the card for sure. And glue the rest back.
IMG_20180607_081018696.jpg