Manic Micros

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
2.5g? How about 1.7g? When I built my 5g-motor-powered 50% Versa wing, I used 1.7g servos -- the ones with the little molex connectors that go with the micro version of the "Orange" receiver from HK. And I used 3mm Depron for the build. Link: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...2-2-ounce-AUW!&p=144131&viewfull=1#post144131 It uses 2S and so is quite zippy. I flew it at FF15 (and it got midaired...but not too bad damage). What type of foam are you using? If it's DTF, I assume that you took the paper off both sides.

Thanks for the info. I didn't have any smaller servos on hand but I will be offering some of the mentioned 1.7g to test with.

I am using DTFB and for the first build I've used a combination of removing and leaving paper on. I will shed paper as needed during testing to see what performs best and is the most durable.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I did some glide testing last night. With the current design/chord/span I think 50g is a little on the heavy side. Super slow flight will need closer to 30g AUW but we'll see how the maiden goes.

The 1.7g servos and new RX I ordered will help a lot.

taswas

Great Thread. Seems like your da man for these micro's. I'll be Watching this with interest.
Thanks for sharing
Garry

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I have ordered one of these as it was in stock from the hobbyking warehouse I was buying some other stuff from.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21871

It's 6.4 grams with the prop saver attached, so pretty much equivalent to the NTM.

Plan on using 2s, a standard receiver with the plastic case removed, and a 5030 prop.

Also grabbed up a bunch of various micro servos.

nerdnic, do you plan on using a power pod of sorts, or is your plan to directly fix the motor? If you're using a pod, I'd be interested in the dimensions. I've got a couple indoor designs in the works that will take this size power system, and sharable pods would be cool.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Now that's much better.

HxNXWwv.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I have ordered one of these as it was in stock from the hobbyking warehouse I was buying some other stuff from.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21871

It's 6.4 grams with the prop saver attached, so pretty much equivalent to the NTM.

Plan on using 2s, a standard receiver with the plastic case removed, and a 5030 prop.

Also grabbed up a bunch of various micro servos.

nerdnic, do you plan on using a power pod of sorts, or is your plan to directly fix the motor? If you're using a pod, I'd be interested in the dimensions. I've got a couple indoor designs in the works that will take this size power system, and sharable pods would be cool.
Nice that motor will be perfect. I do plan to make a pod. I will share size once its final.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Paper really is heavy.

From 10 grams to 7 grams:

Gonna pull a bunch of paper off of this as well. Though that weight will probably be gained back after I finish the turtle deck and add the center wing supports.

Of course, weight might not be an issue. What happens with a little tiny plane that has scale control surfaces. :cool: Guess I'll find out on Wednesday when my stuff gets here.

Can't wait for all of this stuff to get sorted out so that I can build and fly in my backyard as the mighty mini series is still too big :(

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Got the weight down to 17 grams for the bare airframe. Threw some magnets in the nose and chucked it off my deck. It glides so that's a good sign.

Added a "vertical stabilizer" in preparation for the test flight.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Love it! I think a bi will be a winner in this size. I'm thinking of concerning my nnMoth Minor to a Tiger Moth.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Love it! I think a bi will be a winner in this size. I'm thinking of concerning my nnMoth Minor to a Tiger Moth.

That would be cool. There aren't enough Bi-Plane foamboard designs out there, and they're the coolest group of planes in my opinion. Having one designed by someone that's done this before would be good, so I have a fallback to build if mine splats. ;)

Mostly just waiting on electronics right now, though I think I'm going to need ailerons, this scale rudder is tiny. Might see if I can come up with lightweight landing gear of some sort as well.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
I've had my electronics for a couple days now, but the build is on hold till next week. Discovered that a micro receiver exists for my tactic transmitter, so I waiting for that to get here.

Anyone given any thought to lightweight firewall material? Been doing some reading about people securing motors with thread and CA. Makes me think a simple piece of foamboard would be fine for the firewall.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Couldn't get it to balance with a smaller battery, it took a 260mah 2 cell, and I had to leave the motor mount sticking out farther than I planned.

Probably need to move the servos further forward next time, and carbon fiber push rods might be a good idea.

Yikes, electronics are heavy! 57 grams all up weight.

Wish I got video of it flying. It took several tries to get it into the air, I had to turn the rates way down, the control surfaces in the video are way too high, and it was insanely twitchy. I thought the control surfaces wouldn't do much, boy was I wrong.

Got it in the air after the third try and discovered that it would only barely turn left. I think I had way too much motor angle, even though it really doesn't look like much. Flew nice and slow, and would high alpha in a circle just like normal flight.

I didn't have any screws small enough to mount the motor, and thought I might get away with some hot glue for the test flight. Bad idea. I was having so much fun flying it around my yard that I ran it too long and melted the hot glue enough to detach the motor...

So, several lessons learned.

1.) Hot glue is not good enough, even for a super tiny motor.
2.) Control surfaces need to barely move on something this small.
3.) Start off with neutral motor angle.
4.) Always order more parts at once. It's only money. :D

Getting more parts ordered now, and we'll see how round two goes.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I used a piece of copper wire to secure a 10g 2000kv Hextronic with a 7x5 prop. That worked well. There was also a small bit of hot glue in the mix. It was popsicle stick firewall.

Another thing that works as a firewall is the plastic lid from a water bottle. It can even be trimmed down once the motor is mounted so that there is just enough to hold the motor and bond to the airframe.