Mighty Mini Spitfire MK XVI Build Thread

GrizWiz

Elite member
Here it is:

The crashes kept messing with the angle of the wingtips, so it flew progressively worse. But I got 1 flight where it all worked out!! (It's in the middle somewhere. It's also the only good landing in the video.)
Well maybe not as much aileron or bank and yank. Other wise it should fly fine!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Here it is:

The crashes kept messing with the angle of the wingtips, so it flew progressively worse. But I got 1 flight where it all worked out!! (It's in the middle somewhere. It's also the only good landing in the video.)
Looks like it's tip stalling and that's what's causing it to get out of control. Try moving the battery forward a little, and keep your throttle up and don't pull into a "high alpha" nose-up type of flying. It looks like when that happens, you lose aileron control, the wings wobble, and it tip stalls. Tip stalls are hard to get out of, and if you're at a low altitude, a crash is inevitable.

GrizWiz

Elite member
Looks like it's tip stalling and that's what's causing it to get out of control. Try moving the battery forward a little, and keep your throttle up and don't pull into a "high alpha" nose-up type of flying. It looks like when that happens, you lose aileron control, the wings wobble, and it tip stalls. Tip stalls are hard to get out of, and if you're at a low altitude, a crash is inevitable.
Yeah that could be the problem!

Flyingshark

Master member
Flew the mini Spit today. I finally got the roll rates low enough, 15% with 20% expo, and it was a joy to fly! :D I managed to do several short slow flights, without the top cover on, but after several hard landings the nose started to wobble back and forth a little. And on the next landing, the battery catapulted itself through the front of the nose. :LOL: I'll assess the damage later.

My problem on the earlier flights was definitely tip stall at lower speeds, combined with overcontrolling the ailerons, but once it gets going faster, it settles in really nicely and is super stable. :)

GrizWiz

Elite member
Flew the mini Spit today. I finally got the roll rates low enough, 15% with 20% expo, and it was a joy to fly! :D I managed to do several short slow flights, without the top cover on, but after several hard landings the nose started to wobble back and forth a little. And on the next landing, the battery catapulted itself through the front of the nose. :LOL: I'll assess the damage later.

My problem on the earlier flights was definitely tip stall at lower speeds, combined with overcontrolling the ailerons, but once it gets going faster, it settles in really nicely and is super stable. :)
Great!!! Must Have Been Fun I Need To Build Another!!!

Flyingshark

Master member
Fixed up the Spitfire! I'm hoping to take it out for a few flights tomorrow. :D
IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

Michael Gardner

Can anyone tell me how to print the plans for this plane? There is normally a scale on these that I use to make sure the print out is correct. There isn't a scale on this one. Normally, when there is a missing scale I can use the wingspan as a gauge to determine if I printed it correctly but I don't see anything telling me the wingspan. I am a teacher and have my students build these planes as part of my Science of Flight class. I use a large plotter/printer to print the plans to scale. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• FT Mini Spitfire.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 0

GrizWiz

Elite member
Can anyone tell me how to print the plans for this plane? There is normally a scale on these that I use to make sure the print out is correct. There isn't a scale on this one. Normally, when there is a missing scale I can use the wingspan as a gauge to determine if I printed it correctly but I don't see anything telling me the wingspan. I am a teacher and have my students build these planes as part of my Science of Flight class. I use a large plotter/printer to print the plans to scale. Any help would be appreciated.
I use adobe reader to tile them. The wing span is 24"