• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mighty Mini Vampire (Fighter Jet)

FishHawk

Well-known member
So..I finished scratch building my mini vampire and placed it in a shelf while waiting for the weather to get better so I can maiden it.

Somehow it felt from that shelf and now the tail booms are bent although I had them reinforced with a barbeque skewer. I think I need to rebuild the entire thing.

Can you show me how you reinforced the tail?

Thanks!
Did you put on the balsa doublers or just use the skewers? I had the same question, whether it needs doublers and skewers, or just doublers, or just skewers. If it is just the booms that are bent, you can cut out the bent section and splice in new foam. I also remember seeing a post about using rubbing alcohol to remove hot glue, but I haven't tried that yet.
 
Did you put on the balsa doublers or just use the skewers? I had the same question, whether it needs doublers and skewers, or just doublers, or just skewers. If it is just the booms that are bent, you can cut out the bent section and splice in new foam. I also remember seeing a post about using rubbing alcohol to remove hot glue, but I haven't tried that yet.
I just used the skewers. I couldn't find balsa nearby so I just went with it. I guess I got what I deserved.

I think I will try to remove the tail booms completely (maybe try the alcohol. I've seen it in one of the FT videos) and cut new ones. The extra effort compared to splicing a new bit is worth it, I think.
 
The first one of these I built I built using the regular size plans posted here. I put in a tiny receiver and at one point got out to far and lost reception then crash, it was ugly. It really flew so nice that I wondered what it would fly like if it was larger.

So I Just built the Mighty Mini Vampire again and this time up-scaled it to 120% and WOW. This thing really does fly sweet. I designed and 3D printed a motor mount, a canopy, and also a battery hatch cover that also acts as a skid plate. I reinforced the booms starting by embedding BBQ Skewers the full length into them then gluing 3/4"x 1/8" balsa wood strips over them. I also put BBQ skewers, one in each wing, that follows one of the fold lines inside the wing out to the tip for strength. The wings build just like any other Flitetest model.
I am using a BR2205 Motor with a 3 blade prop (6x4.2x3) and 20A ESC. I upgraded the receiver in this one to an orange 6 Channel with Satellite.
This thing fly's so well that I am now thinking of building a 200% version, maybe with landing gear. We shall see.
Here are some pics of the 120% version. I will try to put up the maiden video soon.
This is a very nice design jameswhom.
 

Attachments

Last edited: