Moth Minor Swappable - design, build, and review log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nice job. Great maiden. I had a feeling you'd need to kick it up a notch (in terms of speed) after this one. At least you know you can build slow planes when you want to. They're a ton of fun in the park.

The Minor does indeed look like a unique experience. For some reason I got the urge to build a glider, too. I can't wait to see the nnMIG 3!

Thanks man. I have plans mostly done but I want to finish the nnChipmunk first, so it will be a few weeks.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks man. I have plans mostly done but I want to finish the nnChipmunk first, so it will be a few weeks.

That sounds good. I need time to re-up on parts anyway.

I started working on a Hughes H-1 but I want to see if the way I chose to handle the round fuse is practical before I talk too much about it. I'm also going out on a limb and using the smaller racing wings. I did some estimates on wing loading and I think it will fly. I'll post a thread on it very soon.

Great review. I love the Bucker, but that review has some pretty convincing reasons to build the Moth, too.

Last edited:

nagromnewo

The H-1 is a very sexy airplane and an excellent candidate for chrome tape. :)

I actually think my depapered and chrome taped P-51C Mustang is both stronger and lighter than a stock FT Mustang. A good way to keep the wing loading down. Of course, you could go a lot lighter by using colored packing tape instead of chrome tape, but the H-1 really needs to shine... ;)

Hmmm...

http://www.h1racer.com/aviator

Owen

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
The H-1 is a very sexy airplane and an excellent candidate for chrome tape. :)

I actually think my depapered and chrome taped P-51C Mustang is both stronger and lighter than a stock FT Mustang. A good way to keep the wing loading down. Of course, you could go a lot lighter by using colored packing tape instead of chrome tape, but the H-1 really needs to shine... ;)

Hmmm...

http://www.h1racer.com/aviator

Owen

Let's not clutter up this thread. My progress on the Hughes H-1 is this way.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Did anyone end up building a nnMoth Minor? All my other designs have been enjoyed by a lot of people but I've never actually gotten feedback from anyone about building this one.

If anyone reading this has built one I'd love to hear from you.

jamboree1

Did anyone end up building a nnMoth Minor? All my other designs have been enjoyed by a lot of people but I've never actually gotten feedback from anyone about building this one.

If anyone reading this has built one I'd love to hear from you.

Alright, so no takers on build, I will give it a shot as soon as servos come in, just hope the only motor I have sitting around, a bl-2217/6 1500 kv will be sufficient

jamboree1

printout and battery

After printing and trimming I noticed that there is only 1 wing printed, I am assuming for the other side I should flip the template over and cut it. And of all these pics not one place do i see where you mounted the battery. I'm guessing that it is inside the power pod and you remove and replace it every flight. A pic of all your electronics placement would be quite handy.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
After printing and trimming I noticed that there is only 1 wing printed, I am assuming for the other side I should flip the template over and cut it. And of all these pics not one place do i see where you mounted the battery. I'm guessing that it is inside the power pod and you remove and replace it every flight. A pic of all your electronics placement would be quite handy.

That's correct you'll need to flip the template over for wing 2. The battery does need to be inside as the nose doesn't allow enough space for anything else. I will take a picture of where a 2200 sits for me.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Please ignore how busted up she is, I gave my original nnMoth Minor to my dad and he's still in the learning phase..

3CcsdrQ.jpg

That's a 2200 3S and a 70g suppo motor. The ESC is mounted under the pod just a few inches from the firewall. Hope this helps!

jamboree1

battery position

It does help, the issue im trying to figure out now is that the airplanes nose smallest point is 1 3/4", while flitetest power pods are 2" wide. I'm not to keen on the idea of having to remove the nose cone and power pod to remove the battery so i will be looking at a way to modify the top portion as a removable cover.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
That's a great idea. I've started doing that on my builds and will be incorporating those changes into the plans. Shouldn't be hard to do on this one.