• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mounting EDFs

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Dear Flitetest Community,

I recently finished building my EPX 900NX, its an Eco friendly flier. It is my FIRST plane so it looks kinda messy but its quite good for a first try I'd say. The plane takes off but is really tail heavy so I shall correct it soon. But for now, I have mounted the EDF's with TAPE!! It looks really messy so any of you guys have any ideas on how to make a simple (cheap) EDF to Wing mount [I have 2 external airliner style mounted EDFs but they use tape] :applause:

Ideas are welcome. I have a thread somewhere at Rchobbies.com http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=371472

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
That is VERY tailheavy!

You should push your battery way more to the front and also stop trying to fly this beast InSIDE!

That can´t really go well and for the time and effort you put into this plane I wouldn´t risk it.

Also did you have any flying experience before? Your risk of crashing in the first flight with such a plane is much higher then with a trainer.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
That is VERY tailheavy!

You should push your battery way more to the front and also stop trying to fly this beast InSIDE!

That can´t really go well and for the time and effort you put into this plane I wouldn´t risk it.

Also did you have any flying experience before? Your risk of crashing in the first flight with such a plane is much higher then with a trainer.
I KNOW its tail heavy, i am now going to mount the batteries at the front or middle accordingly (i'll mount while plane is on a balancer i shall build). I spent ALOT of time into this plane! started with styrofoam sheets stuck them together and sanded it down with basic sandpaper and coping saw is what i had with me.

I'll try use Zip ties if I can get them...

About the first time flying thing, I fly alot of FS and I honestly dont see whats so hard [I am being sarcastic]
I did some flying on a simulator (FMS :D ) and I guess I'll just have to take that risk because I cant afford to get a trainer (too expensive to ship here, perhaps in India but there are no flying locations where I live. I flew a 2 channel trainer once, but I was too scared and just managed to take it off before i gt it back down again in fear of crashing (I was 10 yrs old...). This plane of mine just has to TAKEOFF, no big manuevers, just takeoff and fly level for about a meter or so then land, straight line for now. After that, I will take it to my school field and TAKEOFF and fly over the sea.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
What angle do you have the edfs at? Looks like STOL ;)
The EDFs are not at any up or down angle, they are level with fuse, but the fuse is at a high angle of attack hence, now the fuselage sits lower to the ground and more horizontal (but still abit high angle of attack) but lets see how thing go.

The EDFs are not at any up or down angle, they are level with fuse, but the fuse is at a high angle of attack hence, now the fuselage sits lower to the ground and more horizontal (but still abit high angle of attack) but lets see how thing go.
I was gonna say it looked like you had the edfs pointed down at least a little to get such a short takeoff but I know what you mean with the way it was sitting on take off. Still pretty impressive for edf!

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Nice build, though you're taking off on pure thrust, not any lift!
NEgative, I am taking off with lift, the EDF's run off 2S and hence the plane doesnt have 1:1 thrust ratio, the plane sits at a high angle of attack hence it takes off with the wings.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Then i would first get the plane balanced and see how well the tape holds. It sounds like your options are kind of limited.
My options are VERY limited. I made a mount (no nacelle but a mount) which allows the EDF to hang slightly forward of the wing. This should move up the CG abit, I have to make a new battery canopy while balancing.