MS Bf-110 build & plans

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think I printed the plans as soon as you posted them! Amazing work on them- I'd recommend everyone add your Bf-110 to their collection. I can't wait to fly it. Thank you!
I'm planning on it, just hard to find time for all the builds I want to do... Beautiful work on yours! In the pic I see a glass that says IU on it - are you a hoosier?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I'm planning on it, just hard to find time for all the builds I want to do... Beautiful work on yours! In the pic I see a glass that says IU on it - are you a hoosier?

Good eye for the details, Hanger! While we've bounced around the US a bit, we did live in southern Indiana for several years before moving out to Oregon. IU was a great school, and Bloomington was a pretty hip place. There used to be a great brewery called Upland that served the BEST nachos. Mmmmm....

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Where did you download the plans? The ones I posted in this thread had an error where the labeling on the nacelle boxes was wrong. I've updated it now, but you may have used those plans before the error was fixed. The green arrows were supposed to point towards the wingtips. As for skin 1, I'll make the nacelle box longer. I was designing it to work with some spinners, and I totally forgot about prop clearance! :rolleyes: The tail does need some reinforcement, I thought that the BBQ skewers on the front would be enough, but. I think I'll add a slot for reinforcement of some kind. In the next version of plans I hope to fix all of these things, and hopefully have a polished plane!

I can't thank you enough for building this plane, especially since nobody has built it before. I'm glad most parts worked out, and I'm sorry if some things didn't, but that's an amazing looking plane you have there! I'd love to see more pictures, especially if you paint it! Good luck on the maiden!

I wanted to add that you were correct about the BBQ skewers in the front of the horizontal stabilizer. It makes a huge difference in stiffness. I totally missed that step (whoops!) during the build. Fortunately, I was able to peel back the trailing edge paper and insert the skewers. Your plans were spot on!

Attachments

• 20210218_063809.jpg
    20210218_063809.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Good eye for the details, Hanger! While we've bounced around the US a bit, we did live in southern Indiana for several years before moving out to Oregon. IU was a great school, and Bloomington was a pretty hip place. There used to be a great brewery called Upland that served the BEST nachos. Mmmmm....
Cool, I’ve spent several summers in Bloomington - it’s a nice place!

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
I wanted to add that you were correct about the BBQ skewers in the front of the horizontal stabilizer. It makes a huge difference in stiffness. I totally missed that step (whoops!) during the build. Fortunately, I was able to peel back the trailing edge paper and insert the skewers. Your plans were spot on!

Thanks! Those definitely add a lot of strength, but I was still a little worried about where the tail connects to the fuselage. Since the skewers don't go through there, it could become a weak spot.

Samh

Elite member
It's easier to do it in Fusion 360 because then it's really easy to compare the edge lengths. If they don't line up I know, and I can fix it. I wouldn't be able to find that out in Inkscape. Also, it's a lot easier to mirror things in Fusion. I'm surprised Inkscape doesn't have a good mirror tool. The one in path effects is tough to use.
They actually do have quite a good mirror tool. It is under extensions. You just have to be sure to make a copy of the part you are mirroring, and stack the two over each other. Click one of the parts, click and hold shift while you click the mirror line. Then just run the extension

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I couldn't wait for the decals to arrive- the weather this morning was too glorious...and so was the maiden flight! The Destroyer flew great. I used a 3000 4S battery with an additional 3oz of weight in the nose and it seemed pretty close to the CG, which is assume is close to the front chord of the wing. I apologize for the poor quality Go-Pro imitation camerawork. What a cool looking plane- thanks for the plans and support!
https://youtu.be/CyD7-l5wCzg

Timmy

Legendary member
I couldn't wait for the decals to arrive- the weather this morning was too glorious...and so was the maiden flight! The Destroyer flew great. I used a 3000 4S battery with an additional 3oz of weight in the nose and it seemed pretty close to the CG, which is assume is close to the front chord of the wing. I apologize for the poor quality Go-Pro imitation camerawork. What a cool looking plane- thanks for the plans and support!
It looks great! How do you build so fast?

Whit Armstrong

Elite member

That is so cool! I love the paint job!

How did it fly?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Smooth... like "spit on a marble!" I grabbed it underneath to launch it, and she flew out of my hand at about 50% throttle. Only a few clicks of down trim needed. I didn't get too rowdy on the maiden, but she flies scale: not super maneuverable but responds well to the controls. Very similar handling as the P-38: hard to stall and even then retains a little aileron control. Just floats. For landing I came in under a little power and then chopped the throttle right before touchdown. No bad characteristics noted. Smooth!

Whit Armstrong

Elite member
Smooth... like "spit on a marble!" I grabbed it underneath to launch it, and she flew out of my hand at about 50% throttle. Only a few clicks of down trim needed. I didn't get too rowdy on the maiden, but she flies scale: not super maneuverable but responds well to the controls. Very similar handling as the P-38: hard to stall and even then retains a little aileron control. Just floats. For landing I came in under a little power and then chopped the throttle right before touchdown. No bad characteristics noted. Smooth!

Amazing! Just what I was hoping for with the flight characteristics! It will make having bomb drops super fun!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Great maiden. And it had be too long since I had listened to Mars! I was sad when the video was over! :LOL:

BoredGuy

How on earth did you make that paint job look so good?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Mostly rattle can Rustoleum 2X and a lot of painters tape, but I also bought one of those cheap Testors airbrushes to try out that tough Luftwaffe mottling style on the fuselage. I still get some winkles from painting in the cold and from using cheap Dollar General foamboard, but it doesn't look too bad when its flying by!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Mostly rattle can Rustoleum 2X and a lot of painters tape, but I also bought one of those cheap Testors airbrushes to try out that tough Luftwaffe mottling style on the fuselage. I still get some winkles from painting in the cold and from using cheap Dollar General foamboard, but it doesn't look too bad when its flying by!
Do you like the cheap airbrush? I’ve been thinking about getting one but I don’t want to spend $100 haha.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Do you like the cheap airbrush? I’ve been thinking about getting one but I don’t want to spend $100 haha.

I know, right? I'd love to be like those talented folks with their fancy airbrushes painting smoke, panel lines, and weathering on their planes. Here's an Amazon link to the cheapy version. It doesn't allow you to adjust the pressure or spray, so it's not an ideal substitute for more expensive airbrushes. However, if you're just looking to play around first before committing to a "real" airbrush, it is easy to use and allows for more fine detail work than the cans of spray paint I have been using.