colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I think it depends! You have two screws that belong to one arm. One screw goes through the arm and the other one is the limiting one when you fold it out. What I did this time is not take the inner one as the screw that goes through the wood. No I took the outer screw for the one that goes through the arm and the inner one (the one closer to the CG) as the limiting. I was playing around with it and thought that no stability was lost with this because you placed all the wholes for screw closer to the CG anyways. I hope you know what I mean.

Oh, I see what you mean. I actually designed it to pivot on the outer screw instead of the inner screw. I did that for more sturdiness!

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Exactly that is what I did. Just as a tip. If you want to make it more userfriendly somehow mark that. Most of the people will be used to having the inner screw as being the one for the arm to pivot around it :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Exactly that is what I did. Just as a tip. If you want to make it more userfriendly somehow mark that. Most of the people will be used to having the inner screw as being the one for the arm to pivot around it :)

Wait until I have posted the plans and then we can add that to v1.1

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Hey eric any chance you can post your designs? or are they secret :)

Hey Mark,

No, they are not secret. LOL! :)

I am def gonna post them. Sorry for not doing it yet, I am under the gun on some deadlines so I have been working a bunch trying to get them finished. I will try to get them done in the next few days and on here for download.

Talk to ya soon!

Eric

Trinom

Crazy electrician
Hi, I have a quick fix for people, who use the RCExplorer's design. I'm using 12 mm square booms. The idea is to use a small piece (like a cube for example) and drill a 3mm hole in the middle of one side. Other option is to use a 12mm round timber shortened to 12mm and drilling the 3mm hole in the middle of the flat part. This piece makes a spacer for the screws used as stops (those two they don't touch the wood at this photo).
tricopter37.jpg

Manfet

@Trinom Are you talkin about switching out the small piece of wood in the front (distance holder) for those pieces you described?
Well it's not a bad idea. But in my opinion it probably won't change much. It is probably just a little bit lighter but a little less rigid. Be aware that your 12mm booms are putting the CG a little bit backwards. Not much but a little bit.

Trinom

Crazy electrician
It's very difficult for me how to describe it properly. So I've made a picture. The spacers are 12 mm long, 12 mm thick and have 3 mm hole in the middle.
18m6_spacers.jpg

Manfet

That's in my opinion a bad idea. You change the angle of the booms and the booms don't get a tight fit anymore because the force of the screw runs through the spacers. That screw is there for blocking the boom and locking it in place by force. And you change the blocking position and take away the force with the spacer.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Thats precisely why I drill through my booms, to make sure I get a tight fit. I am scared to death of a compression fitting to hold my boom arms in place. If that thing ever got loose in flight it would be disastrous. I know that drilling through them means that if there ever is a crash, that it will most likely break my boom arm, but to have a crash because it didnt stay in place to me is worse.

my 2 cents

:)

Eric

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Haha I can understand that. I was thinking about this too when I built my Tricopter so while I was building I thought: "is this actually going to work under "harder" conditions"
Up to now it is working great and I can fully understand your reason.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
So here is "MY NEW & IMPROVED Tri-copter"

I started over and created a completely new design. Larger center sections that house the esc's, wiring through the arms (for beauty purposes) folding landing gear for transport, Direct-drive tail mechanism, camera boom (like my quad)

It is powered by 3 E-flite Park-450's swinging 11x3.8 APC slow-flyer standard props.

Here is a video of it flying:

I built another one of these so that I could use it to fly/practice FPV. Plus they are just a blast to fly. :)

Cheers!

Eric

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Great Video! And a rock solid stable tri! And a good wife to do the recording!

What music is that? Reminds me of Röyksopp.

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Great Video! And a rock solid stable tri! And a good wife to do the recording!

What music is that? Reminds me of Röyksopp.

Thanks man! :eek:) I am stoked about the way it is flying! and you are right, I am very lucky to have a wife who will film this stuff for me....much better than putting a GoPro Helmet mount on my head and trying to fly and film it by myself. :)

Not sure on the music, found it in the Youtube editor....one of the songs that they "allow" you to use.....through audio swap.
It was better than no music i suppose.

Cheers!

Eric

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
You have convinced me to go over to aluminum rods once I get past the 50% crash rate. The wood I will use bends too much. However I can only find 3/4" square tubes, is this what you use?

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
You have convinced me to go over to aluminum rods once I get past the 50% crash rate. The wood I will use bends too much. However I can only find 3/4" square tubes, is this what you use?

they are actually 5/8" alum. rods ;)

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Good. I think they just say 3/4" because it's easier. I will design a frame that allows for the bigger tubes.

I like your vibration dampener, planning on plans?

Yeah, if I can ever get caught up on all this work that I have. My editing computer died 2 weeks ago, and it cost me $3,000 to get a new one, and put me WAY behind in my editing. Between getting my multi-rotors ready for doing aerial video for a few clients, and trying to get my editing caught up, it has taken up all my time completely. Soon as I get everything done however, I plan on getting stuff posted. Just not enough time in the day unfortunately.