New Balsa DLG Kit from Hobby King

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Not that I need any other projects or planes to build, but when this one gets to the US warehouses I'm going to buy it. I don't know if I'll be able to launch a DLG due to shoulder problems, but it'll be worth trying. Previously I was eyeing up the DLG-50 from Mountain Models, but as this is an experiment it'll save quite a bit of money for me if the shoulder isn't up to it.

Here are the specs:
Wingspan: 1000mm
Length: 784mm
Airframe Weight: 110g (uncovered)
All Up Weight: 140g

Requires:
2 Channel Transmitter and Receiver
2 x 5~9g servos
Micro receiver battery
Covering Film
Building Adhesives

Take that 140g AUW with a big grain of salt, knowing that the HK details are often FAR from accurate.

DLG-2.jpg

Find it HERE.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Looks like a good DLG, and I would know *suspiciously eyes DLGs resting on wall* you will also notkce they have a new product, the wingetic sport speed wing epo. Look familiar??? You will also notice it is made by hobbyking, not someone else...*cough cough bloody cough wonder*

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The Bloody Wonder evolved from the SIG Wonder, if I remember correctly, and to me this looks like more of an updated version of the SIG plane than the Bloody Wonder.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
The Bloody Wonder evolved from the SIG Wonder, if I remember correctly, and to me this looks like more of an updated version of the SIG plane than the Bloody Wonder.

And Bloody Mic's funbat! And there's the whole rotor bits thing... Still though, anything is cool if it flies and doesn't need to be constantly jamming on the sticks

earthsciteach

I'm pretty interested in this DLG for the cost. What the heck?

I made the same observation about that new HK BW looking plane. For the cost, I can build a bunch of Bloody Wonders!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A quick update on this thread, I ordered the DLG and it shipped yesterday. I couldn't resist and will finally try my first DLG. Once construction actually starts I'll turn this into a build-thread.

Bust out the wallet, Teach, and join the fun!

mikemacwillie

Mine arrived a little while ago. It certainly looks better than the other HK balsa kits. The parts are all labeled, mine are all cut right through, and there is even a layout sheet. I haven't started building it yet, so no idea how well it fits together.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A layout sheet is included? Their quality-control department must have stopped drinking! I've only found one build-thread so far on it, but they never mention how/if it flies.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
My DLG just arrived today. At first glance it looks like a better kit than Hobby King usually sells. Although I would like to start it right now I've got another plane or two to finish first. I'll likely do a build-thread for it once I finally get it started.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
They are also selling (Copying) the Rare Bear from Horizon.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product...e-bear-with-as3x-technology-bnf-basic-efl1250
EFL1250_a1.jpg

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__36705__Rare_Bear_EPO_w_Retracts_and_Flaps_1400mm_PNF_US_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=Rare%20Bear
27581-main.jpg

Now I know that the HH version is a speedster as in 100mph plane and the one from HK is a larger (1400mm) plane, but I think it's interesting I saw nothing of it until the HH version came out. Just more of the same from HK.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Other than both copying the colors/design of the real Bearcat Rare Bear (a regular contestant in the Reno Air Races for quote a while), how do you figure the HK version is a copy of the HH plane? The size is drastically different, the graphics are different, the HK version has retracts, etc. It also appears HK came out with their Rare Bear around October of 2012 based on the date of their video showing off the plane. I don't know when the HH version came out, was it around the same time?

Although HK and other Chinese companies certainly rip off others far too often, in this case I don't see it. Unless HH has the exclusive rights to market the Rare Bear's likeness?

Back to the DLG, it appears that in this case that the reason it's better quality than the other balsa kits I've built from HK is because another company makes it and HK just slaps their name on it to sell it. It looks like this kit is actually by balsafactory.com, according to what I've found on RC Groups so far. No idea if Balsafactory ripped the design off or not though, but I haven't seen this design around anywhere yet and people are usually pretty quick to point out when something is a stolen design.

Rare-Bear-Reno-2012-9.13.12-Evening-On-Ramp.jpg

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Am I the only one who looked at it and thought that a rocket pod atop the wing and an inverted V-tail would be an awesome idea?

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Probably, but the idea sounds destructively fun! Maybe a "C" sized rocket motor...?

It'd handle a D no problem--those carbon spars can take it. I'd suggest going all the way up to an Estes E-11, but the casings might be heavy enough to ruin the glide pattern (wouldn't hurt to try, though--they're both 24mm engines).