Newbie - Power Pack B Motor/Prop question - Simple Scout

StanfR0

I'm just about to build a Simple Scout using the quick build kit but want to source my own motor, prop, ESC, servos etc.
I love that Flite Test publish free plans as well as kits for those of us that are new to fixed-wing (I've been flying quadcopters for a while).
Can anyone point me in the direction of the motor/prop specifications for kit B?

I have looked at the Simple Scout build video and it seems to start off with an e-max 2204 (classic quadcopter motor) but there is a different motor in the plane at the end of the build.

Things I think I need to know (i.e. I don't know what I don't know).

Motor dimensions e.g. 2204
Motor KV
Motor weight
Recommended prop for a 3s battery (I don't think a 4s will fit in the plane)
Thrust for a given prop
I'm not sure about wattage as it depends on the motor efficiency (i.e. inefficient motors use watts in heat)

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Byrdman

I'm just about to build a Simple Scout using the quick build kit but want to source my own motor, prop, ESC, servos etc.
I love that Flite Test publish free plans as well as kits for those of us that are new to fixed-wing (I've been flying quadcopters for a while).
Can anyone point me in the direction of the motor/prop specifications for kit B?

I have looked at the Simple Scout build video and it seems to start off with an e-max 2204 (classic quadcopter motor) but there is a different motor in the plane at the end of the build.

Motor KV
Motor weight
Thrust for a given prop
I'm not sure about wattage as it depends on the motor efficiency (i.e. inefficient motors use watts in heat)

Thanks in advance.

Robert

I fly mine with a Turnigy 2830, 1000KV, on 3s with a 9x4.5e prop and 30a ESC. I think the motor weighs about 50-55g. I am able to fly it off the water on floats with this setup. From what I have determined with the limited and confusing information out there, this motor is in-between the current "C" and "B" motors in the store and close to the old "C" motor's weight and power. The current "B" motor is close to a 2826 size motor. One of the reasons it is so confusing is that many manufacturers label them by bell housing size and others by stator height and diameter and vary rarely post performance numbers on various batteries and props setups.

I have built and flown a few FT planes with the SBK and scratch built. IMO, the Scout is probably one of the best flyer's and you picked the best one to build for the first time. You should also try to scratch build the mini scout for smaller flying areas. I even scaled up a mini scout to 125% and put ailerons on it, just because I could.

StanfR0

I fly mine with a Turnigy 2830, 1000KV, on 3s with a 9x4.5e prop and 30a ESC. I think the motor weighs about 50-55g. I am able to fly it off the water on floats with this setup. From what I have determined with the limited and confusing information out there, this motor is in-between the current "C" and "B" motors in the store and close to the old "C" motor's weight and power. The current "B" motor is close to a 2826 size motor. One of the reasons it is so confusing is that many manufacturers label them by bell housing size and others by stator height and diameter and vary rarely post performance numbers on various batteries and props setups.

I have built and flown a few FT planes with the SBK and scratch built. IMO, the Scout is probably one of the best flyer's and you picked the best one to build for the first time. You should also try to scratch build the mini scout for smaller flying areas. I even scaled up a mini scout to 125% and put ailerons on it, just because I could.

Thank you so much, I have actually been thinking of a mini scout with ailerons as my next build. I'm thinking about trying to keep the weight under 250g to give me some more choice in flying locations. I've also got a hankering to build a bi-plane. As a child, my favourite was the Se5a.
One build at a time :)

Byrdman

Thank you so much, I have actually been thinking of a mini scout with ailerons as my next build. I'm thinking about trying to keep the weight under 250g to give me some more choice in flying locations. I've also got a hankering to build a bi-plane. As a child, my favourite was the Se5a.
One build at a time :)

The DR1 is a great flyer and easy build. From what I researched, the SE5 is not near as easy to fly as the DR1 and it's difficult to get it to balance without adding weight, which defeats the purpose. That is why I built the DR1 instead.

If you want to put ailerons on the mini scout, you should scale it up some or go without rudder control. IMO, the mini scout flies fine without ailerons. Keeping it as a 3 ch, you can save a good deal of weight.

BTW, once you get pretty good at flying fixed wings, scale down a Simple Stick. I built one at 71% and it is awesome! I would recommend to scale it up higher than 71% because I found it difficult to fit all the gear in it. I picked 71% because that gave me a one piece wing around 29"

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Motor KV
Motor weight
Thrust for a given prop

Thanks in advance.

Robert
Ft showed the build footage for the mighty mini power pod Instead of the standard size pod in the scout video. Here’s the motor/esc setup I used in my simple cub. It has plenty of power.

http://www.valuehobby.com/2830-1200kv-outrunner-motor.html

http://www.valuehobby.com/gforce-30a-esc-xt60.html

In my simple scout I used a lumineer 1300mah 3s. Amain doesn’t carry them anymore so here’s a link to tattu’s 1300 3s. I have lots of tattu packs and they work great.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/tattu-...txh-tat-45c-1300-3s1p-xt60/p-qeaxqakqyzzxactz

APC 9x4.5 propeller:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/apc-9x4.5-thin-electric-propeller-apc09045e/p-qqqztsrqlzxxactz

According to the motor specs you’ll be getting about 800g of thrust with that setup.

StanfR0

The DR1 is a great flyer and easy build. From what I researched, the SE5 is not near as easy to fly as the DR1 and it's difficult to get it to balance without adding weight, which defeats the purpose. That is why I built the DR1 instead.

If you want to put ailerons on the mini scout, you should scale it up some or go without rudder control. IMO, the mini scout flies fine without ailerons. Keeping it as a 3 ch, you can save a good deal of weight.

BTW, once you get pretty good at flying fixed wings, scale down a Simple Stick. I built one at 71% and it is awesome! I would recommend to scale it up higher than 71% because I found it difficult to fit all the gear in it. I picked 71% because that gave me a one piece wing around 29"

I love the DR1, I've watched a couple of videos and can't get over the amount of lift it has. What is it like to land? The short length and hight of the top wing seem to make it a bit tricky on grass. Is it worth fitting bigger wheels?

Thanks for the info on the mini scout. I think I will go with your suggestion of 3 channels.

I hadn't heard of the Simple Stick. I've researched it. Is yours the Hangar's version or the FT version?

StanfR0

Ft showed the build footage for the mighty mini power pod Instead of the standard size pod in the scout video. Here’s the motor/esc setup I used in my simple cub. It has plenty of power.

http://www.valuehobby.com/2830-1200kv-outrunner-motor.html

http://www.valuehobby.com/gforce-30a-esc-xt60.html

In my simple scout I used a lumineer 1300mah 3s. Amain doesn’t carry them anymore so here’s a link to tattu’s 1300 3s. I have lots of tattu packs and they work great.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/tattu-...txh-tat-45c-1300-3s1p-xt60/p-qeaxqakqyzzxactz

APC 9x4.5 propeller:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/apc-9x4.5-thin-electric-propeller-apc09045e/p-qqqztsrqlzxxactz

According to the motor specs you’ll be getting about 800g of thrust with that setup.

Thank you for resolving my confusion on the video.

Thank you also for the specs of your setup.

Are you the Hangar who designed the Simple Stick
? :)

Byrdman

I love the DR1, I've watched a couple of videos and can't get over the amount of lift it has. What is it like to land? The short length and hight of the top wing seem to make it a bit tricky on grass. Is it worth fitting bigger wheels?

Thanks for the info on the mini scout. I think I will go with your suggestion of 3 channels.

I hadn't heard of the Simple Stick. I've researched it. Is yours the Hangar's version or the FT version?

My DR1 was built without landing gear. I fly in my back yard a lot and over a lake so I toss it in the air, fly it around and then stall land it in the grass. I have brought it in tumbling due to the the wind direction not cooperating and I have not had to repair anything yet. It looks fragile, but it's built like a tank.

As far as the Simple Stick goes, I bought the SBK and received the plans as a gift for joining FTCA. So I built the scaled down version using the FT plans and I'll probably be finished with the SBK sometime this weekend. Hanger's and FT's versions are similar, but Hanger's has a flat bottom airfoil vs the FT's symmetrical airfoil.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions! Welcome to FT!!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
My DR1 was built without landing gear. I fly in my back yard a lot and over a lake so I toss it in the air, fly it around and then stall land it in the grass. I have brought it in tumbling due to the the wind direction not cooperating and I have not had to repair anything yet. It looks fragile, but it's built like a tank.

As far as the Simple Stick goes, I bought the SBK and received the plans as a gift for joining FTCA. So I built the scaled down version using the FT plans and I'll probably be finished with the SBK sometime this weekend. Hanger's and FT's versions are similar, but Hanger's has a flat bottom airfoil vs the FT's symmetrical airfoil.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions! Welcome to FT!!
Does the dr1 fly well??

Byrdman

Does the dr1 fly well??

Yes! It is a great flyer. It has so much lift with the 3 wings, it barley drops the nose in turns as a rudder only. IMO, it's probably one of the best trainers for someone that has never flown before. It's slow, and like I said earlier, built very strong for those not so smooth landings.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Im going to build it this weekend or maybe even now...
Yes! It is a great flyer. It has so much lift with the 3 wings, it barley drops the nose in turns as a rudder only. IMO, it's probably one of the best trainers for someone that has never flown before. It's slow, and like I said earlier, built very strong for those not so smooth landings.

boogieloo

Quadcopters. I've seen some live. They go really high up. 600 ft. Lights. Blinking lights. But this model was really expensive. The others have made one of their own design. Some of them I saw made it from pvc pipes. Some use steel iron. I'm not sure where they stop and shop, but they have those computer chips boards and they sell it by kits to make one.

What is the biggest company known that sells these chip boards? Nothing to an ardino program really. Just plug it in, and it runs on your pc to check your specs on a quadcopter. And you can see how much of the engine rpm it is firing at. ESC

What is your likings? Some just like airplanes. Me. More fun. Some like quadcopters, more deceptive. Some like trucks and gas airplanes. It all depends on your likings.:cool: Those gas airplanes from Irvine, California, the 2 and 4 cycle ones are very popular for many years now. These gas engines can be fired up directly from your control box. No need a starter as it was before.

you ain't getting jack shit information from me. hand my name in if you want to an agency. you still not getting anything out of me.

Last edited:

Bifi.baarlo

Quadcopters. I've seen some live. They go really high up. 600 ft. Lights. Blinking lights. But this model was really expensive. The others have made one of their own design. Some of them I saw made it from pvc pipes. Some use steel iron. I'm not sure where they stop and shop, but they have those computer chips boards and they sell it by kits to make one.

What is the biggest company known that sells these chip boards?
Off topic, the question is about the powerpack for a Scout.

SSgt Duramax

I too have a 125% mini scout (comes right in at a 30 inch wing, and more room to fit things inside) and I run this set up for the low price of 15 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1748171818...var=474062740802&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Has adequate power on 2S and will pull it vertical on 3S. Not bad for 15 bucks. Dare I say it would probably tug the full sized one along decently too. A full size scout is really just a 150% mini scout, right?

StanfR0

I too have a 125% mini scout (comes right in at a 30 inch wing, and more room to fit things inside) and I run this set up for the low price of 15 bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174817181843?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=474062740802&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Has adequate power on 2S and will pull it vertical on 3S. Not bad for 15 bucks. Dare I say it would probably tug the full sized one along decently too. A full size scout is really just a 150% mini scout, right?

Thanks, this is amazing value. I'm going to have to investigate costs for importing to the UK.