nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
worry about making it swappable later. I would just try to build one first. It will let you know what you have to change before you make it a more complex design.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
jayz great work on the step by step! That will be very helpful to anyone building the nnMiG 3!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Let me know if you come up with a good way for doing round fuselages. I would love to do a nicely detailed WACO, but it is definitely tricky at best to get a nice rounded surface out of DTFB.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
QUOTE=AkimboGlueGuns;137727]Let me know if you come up with a good way for doing round fuselages. I would love to do a nicely detailed WACO, but it is definitely tricky at best to get a nice rounded surface out of DTFB.[/QUOTE]
CAM00442.jpg thats pretty much were i stoped with the fuse i couldent deside on foam board or poster board to rap it in both way is going to end up with alot of cut lines but allso foam board will be heavry but stronger then poster board. But when i get to the project again ill be sure to let you know

Hell2Go

U could try the pink fanfold foam from home depot. Be sure to peel off the onion skin first. Make a pattern with paper, cut out your part, sand it smooth and to reduce the thickness a little (on both sides). Then work it slowly around your bends. I seen a guy at flitefest that built an extra 300 this way and he had great results.

jayz 84

U could try the pink fanfold foam from home depot. Be sure to peel off the onion skin first. Make a pattern with paper, cut out your part, sand it smooth and to reduce the thickness a little (on both sides). Then work it slowly around your bends. I seen a guy at flitefest that built an extra 300 this way and he had great results.

Ya ive thought about going that way but was tring to keep it simple for plans for others to build but im coming to the point it just might be a one off build for myself testing my skill to build a scale build and not a swappable. Not sure yet till i deside to go back to the build. Right now im restocking my walls with other builds like nics and going to be helping him test builds

Last edited:

jayz 84

Well "MY SECOND" Mig3 should be done tonight just have the canopy to do and decals or paint which brings me to which paint scheme i like the white but like it in camo to what do you guys think? Not sure if ill get time for a test flight do to the weather latly and im working all weekend on a lear 60 engine swap.

JohnRambozo

Well "MY SECOND" Mig3 should be done tonight just have the canopy to do and decals or paint which brings me to which paint scheme i like the white but like it in camo to what do you guys think? Not sure if ill get time for a test flight do to the weather latly and im working all weekend on a lear 60 engine swap.

Go camo this time. Weather isn't great for me either. Rain all day Saturday... hopefully Sunday clears up long enough to get in the air. Good luck on nnMig3 II. :)

jayz 84

Go camo this time. Weather isn't great for me either. Rain all day Saturday... hopefully Sunday clears up long enough to get in the air. Good luck on nnMig3 II. :)

Thanks man. I think i am going to go camo this time. And the weather has just sucked here its rained 40 outta the last 45 days so far it killin me but it gives me build time allmost got my bf 109 done too then onto nnchipmunk

Hell2Go

If you go with camo, i'd suggest using a bright color like ogange hunters camo. I built a ripslinger and it was basically camo colored and any time i had it low in the distance i'd lose sight of it with the trees in the background and at 70mph i couldn't reaquire it in time and had to ditch it. Since I've painted the wings glow orange on top and yellow on the bottom and hasn't been a problem since.

Hell2Go

I cutout my wing and covered it in clear packing tape on top and red on the bottom... it really adds durability to my planes. The only drawback is i can't use my monocoat iron to round off the edges cause it melts the tape. I have a flying wing i designed that is covered with tape and i cartwheeled it across a dirt field at 40mph, picked it up, dusted it off and threw it right back up. Just a couple dings in the corners!

jayz 84

If you go with camo, i'd suggest using a bright color like ogange hunters camo. I built a ripslinger and it was basically camo colored and any time i had it low in the distance i'd lose sight of it with the trees in the background and at 70mph i couldn't reaquire it in time and had to ditch it. Since I've painted the wings glow orange on top and yellow on the bottom and hasn't been a problem since.

A there does lay the prob with camo. The red dexals will still be on it and maybe red wing tips but i havent really desided on color yet i dident get to much lastnight on it except midwax. But also i dont have orientation prob i fly but how would yoy say it by thought. I allways know where im going like fbvdont know how i do it but thats just how i am. Except when i get crazy around things then were talking about possible mishap lol

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
jayz - I added your wing build post to the first post and my article, thanks for doing that!

Hell2Go

Just finnished gluing my wing up with minimal glue burns. Looks awesome! My shop is at my Dad's and i keep forgetting to copy my pics off my Dad's camera so i can show you. The packing tape looks good, i think you'll like it. I really like the design so far, great work Nic, thankyou.

jayz 84

Heys guys i know it dosent belong on this thred but figured i give nic a good cheap plane storage idea. Using old warp foam boards glued two together and some skewers in the legs. Then make a box frame. I hung up 6 of my planes last night for less then 3$ and a hour and a half of my time. They hold up like champs CAM00506.jpg had to come up with something i live in a apartment right now and got kicked out of the to be soon baby girl room

Well at least you get a sneak peek of my almost finished second mig3 lol;)

Last edited: