nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Oh okay nice! Like jayz said the standard wing will be out soon also.

I hear you about the added durability with tape. I've had the same experience also. However, my planes still wear out. The paper slowly lets go of the foam and everything gets soft and wiggly. I will be switching to the new polycrilic paper switch method for my builds. I have tested it and the results are fantastic, best part is the paper can't release from the foam so everything will stay solid and true.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Oh okay nice! Like jayz said the standard wing will be out soon also.

I hear you about the added durability with tape. I've had the same experience also. However, my planes still wear out. The paper slowly lets go of the foam and everything gets soft and wiggly. I will be switching to the new polycrilic paper switch method for my builds. I have tested it and the results are fantastic, best part is the paper can't release from the foam so everything will stay solid and true.

Which method are you using nic the the flitetest water proofing polycrilic and paper method? Im thinking about doing it just with a lighter paper

jayz 84

Hey nic i like this bird so much i think in just over a year from now when i get my new house im gonna build this bird in a 200% size with the 60series 2500watt 8s motor should be a monster

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
nnMiG 3 vs mid air collision
e9qTEm1.jpg

dpJKXBj.jpg

tYT3Oii.jpg

:-(

Last edited:

jayz 84

No! Damn man that sux. mig3 vs 800mm mustang? Atleast tell me all the electronics are fine..

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah it's a 800 mustang. It was a head on hit, we were both doing over 50 and my wing sliced right off. It was a pretty crazy crash. I started to spiral immediately and nosed in from about 60 feet up.

Electronics look okay, I've not spun the motor up yet though.

jayz 84

Yeah it's a 800 mustang. It was a head on hit, we were both doing over 50 and my wing sliced right off. It was a pretty crazy crash. I started to spiral immediately and nosed in from about 60 feet up.

Man that sux ive had a hit just like that once and it dident end to pretty. Hope the motor is ok

egunderson

it still was a pretty spectacular finish for the both of them. That was one way to come back from a week off of flying!

Even though we crashed, i am honored to have crashed into the Mig.

Onto the next masterpiece!

Hell2Go

did you like the nnMIG enough to rebuild it or are you just gonna salvage the parts for a different build?

Jaxx

it still was a pretty spectacular finish for the both of them. That was one way to come back from a week off of flying!

For a second there, I was starting to wonder if Nic was flying both planes. At this point, I don't think there is anything he isn't capable of.:)

Jaxx

As I was running out of planes to fly do to mechanical failures, I had to put my turnigy 2826-2200kv speed plane motor on my beloved FT Flyer with a 4s and a 6x4 prop for something to fly.

Hell2Go,
Did you have any issues running this motor on a 4S? Did you connect a watt meter to check current/power draw? I'm curious about this, but a little concerned about burning up the motor.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor

I just wish I had my faux pro recording it all. When I grabbed all my gear I almost went back for it, never again!

Hell2Go

Hell2Go,
Did you have any issues running this motor on a 4S? Did you connect a watt meter to check current/power draw? I'm curious about this, but a little concerned about burning up the motor.

no meters here, just trial and error.... with 6X4 I only use full throttle in short bursts, my son uses a 5x5 with the 4s so he can have longer burst of full throttle. we land and check how hot the motor is getting often. If it gets hot we throw in the 3s for the next flight for a cool down. We always test with the smallest prop first and work our way up in size till the motor starts getting warm, then back down a size.

jayz 84

Man nic i just might out run that big foot motor vs my EF-1 motor i just ran three of my nano tec 35-70c 4s battery threw it and my watt meter getting the same results. With my 8x8 prop im only getting 830watt at 53 amps motors rated for 930watts at 65amps. So i think i might order them 8x10 apc thatll give me a pitch speed of 172. So calculate efficacy and drag puts me in the 130s. Hey dosent hurt to try and see what i get

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
What does your voltage drop to on your batteries at full load? More than likely they are dropping to 3.4-3.3v per cell and this will drop your achievable watts down. You really need a larger battery to get full potential out of that motor. My 2000mah 4s 45c batteries drop to 3.4v at full but my 4000mah 4s 40c stays strong at 3.9-3.8v at full so I get a huge amount of extra power from the 4000.