nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
hey jayz did you do the brown paper trick before you painted the mig

Okie no i dident dident apply the paper trick on this build but we have been talking about it on here and i plan to try it on one of my next builds to see if i like it

???

I have a dumb question lol

I'm used to just spray gluing plains on the board and cutting out, without thinking about it I printed 2 wing pdfs, which when I went to assemble I realized I have 2 left wings. how are you guys getting a mirror image for the right side?

jayz 84

Jayz,
Just post something that shows the whole plane so that we can see the spinner. A few pics like Nic posted at the end of his build log in the first post. Thanks man. Did I ever mention how much I love this forum? It feels like we're all friends from the FT RC Club.:)

Sure jaxx i can do that for you when i get the chance. Unfortunately i think i pulled something in my back a week ago and the pain has hit me hard this weekend to the point. I couldn't get out of bed so stuck on the couch all day. But sure will get you them pics. And i love this foam to it really dose feel like were a club of friends.(would be cool if we could all fly together)

Jaxx

Jayz,
Thanks. There's no rush; just whenever you get around to it. Hope you feel better soon. That back stuff is no joke. Been there, done that, and hope it never happens again. It's some painfull stuff. I did that one time, and couldn't get out of the car when I got home from work. Had to call the wife from my cell, and have her come out to help me.......and I'm not even old yet. I'm just glad there was nobody around to see it. It was pretty amusing to see me trying to get out from behing the wheel.:)

Last edited:

jayz 84

I'm used to just spray gluing plains on the board and cutting out, without thinking about it I printed 2 wing pdfs, which when I went to assemble I realized I have 2 left wings. how are you guys getting a mirror image for the right side?

We dont glue them down we just tape and cut or tape trace and cut . I tape trace and cut so after you do the left side flip the paper over and you can see the lines threw the paper. So then you just tape and trace in place again

Jaxx

Now you have no choice but to build two right wings, two fuselages, and eventually two planes. I do the same thing, but I mark my straight lines with a pin hole on each end, then remove the plan and join the holes with a straight edge. Then I just flip the plan over, and use the same holes from when I traced the left wing.

Last edited:

jayz 84

Jayz,
Thanks. There's no rush; just whenever you get around to it. Hope you feel better soon. That back stuff is no joke. Been there, done that, and hope it never happens again. It's some painfull stuff. I did that one time, and couldn't get out of the car when I got home from work. Had to call the wife from my cell, and have her come out to help me.......and I'm not even old yet. I'm just glad there was nobody around to see it. It was pretty amusing to see me trying to get out from behing the wheel.:)

Ya man thats were im at today. Yesterday was alittle painful with holding my little one. Today if felt like my back was broken. Its at my spin and hip joint so anything i do period kills me

???

I tend to crash so 2 wings might be very worthwhile haha

and looks like I'll print another one and flip it over. try out tracing to the board.

thanks guys. I thought you guys might being using a computer program to invert or something.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor

Hi friend. Yeah I don't supply 2 wings in the plans because they are identical and flipping the one over saves on paper and time.

Post some pics of your build!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Sure jaxx i can do that for you when i get the chance. Unfortunately i think i pulled something in my back a week ago and the pain has hit me hard this weekend to the point. I couldn't get out of bed so stuck on the couch all day. But sure will get you them pics. And i love this foam to it really dose feel like were a club of friends.(would be cool if we could all fly together)

Oh that's a bummer. I do that to my neck sometimes.. nothing ruins everything faster than back problems.

Jaxx

I tend to crash so 2 wings might be very worthwhile haha

and looks like I'll print another one and flip it over. try out tracing to the board.

thanks guys. I thought you guys might being using a computer program to invert or something.

Nah. I started using one half of the wing plans to trace both when I was printing the tiled plans. I found that once they were taped together, the plans for the individual wing halves where not a perfect match (I could never get them perfect when I cut and taped them together). So using one half of the plan to trace both the left and right wing halves ensured the two sides would match more closely. It also saves paper if you only have to print one half of the wing.

Last edited:

???

Hi friend. Yeah I don't supply 2 wings in the plans because they are identical and flipping the one over saves on paper and time.

Post some pics of your build!

yeah I see why. I just didn't think ahead haha. I tried cutting the bevel on the first one anyways and they 2nd I sanded. sanding worked much better. so redoing it isn't that bad a thing.

I'll try and snap some pics.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Jayz,
Just post something that shows the whole plane so that we can see the spinner. A few pics like Nic posted at the end of his build log in the first post. Thanks man. Did I ever mention how much I love this forum? It feels like we're all friends from the FT RC Club.:)

That would be so cool! Who's going to FF2015?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
yeah I see why. I just didn't think ahead haha. I tried cutting the bevel on the first one anyways and they 2nd I sanded. sanding worked much better. so redoing it isn't that bad a thing.

I'll try and snap some pics.

Cool, oh and welcome to the forums :)

Guy

Guy,

With a hacksaw make your cut at 14cm. You'll cut halfway down the width of the spar. Once the cut is done you just bend the aluminum to close the gap you created with the hacksaw blade. This creates your dihedral at the right angle.

Awesome, thank you Nic

I just started to record (filming) the build of my right wing, i am experimenting with technics to create the bevels ;-) turns out not to bad for a first. But i am sure i can get them perfect with practice.

The aluminium flat i have around are 3/4in 1/8in, do you think they are worth a try ? or maybe too heavy for the bird...

Guy

jayz 84

Awesome, thank you Nic

I just started to record (filming) the build of my right wing, i am experimenting with technics to create the bevels ;-) turns out not to bad for a first. But i am sure i can get them perfect with practice.

The aluminium flat i have around are 3/4in 1/8in, do you think they are worth a try ? or maybe too heavy for the bird...

Guy

Thats great to hear your wing is coming along. And your learning new ways. Just keep i mind to take your time. Its no fast task and one of the most important parts of the wing build. But for your spar 3/4 is too tall for this build were using 1/2in by 2/8 or 3/8 in thickness you can prob get away with 1/8 thickness depending on you speed goal but 3/4 tall wont work

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah you'll be too tall with that spar. The wing is 3 sheets of foam thick so there is no wiggle room. The spar you have would work with the standard wing that I'll be releasing soon for the nnMiG.

JohnRambozo

With cooler weather on the way, I'll have to put some time into building an nnMig3. Bring on the hot glue burns.