nnMIG 3 Swappable - design, build, and review log

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
What does your voltage drop to on your batteries at full load? More than likely they are dropping to 3.4-3.3v per cell and this will drop your achievable watts down. You really need a larger battery to get full potential out of that motor. My 2000mah 4s 45c batteries drop to 3.4v at full but my 4000mah 4s 40c stays strong at 3.9-3.8v at full so I get a huge amount of extra power from the 4000.

Just ran them again getting 3.7 to 3.8 per cell.

Hell2Go

What does your voltage drop to on your batteries at full load? More than likely they are dropping to 3.4-3.3v per cell and this will drop your achievable watts down. You really need a larger battery to get full potential out of that motor. My 2000mah 4s 45c batteries drop to 3.4v at full but my 4000mah 4s 40c stays strong at 3.9-3.8v at full so I get a huge amount of extra power from the 4000.

I knew it! My Dad And I have been arguing all summer about this... I told him that my motor has more power with the bigger battery and he would say, " 12volts is 12volts, its your imagination." Now i have a way to explain it to him. Thanks guys :)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Yeah as soon as you apply load your voltage will start to drop. This can be seen with a watt meter. The higher the c of the battery the more load it's able to stand but voltage will still drop. A higher mah battery will almost always hold voltage better under load when compared to a lower mah, higher c battery. This is true even if the total amp limit in each battery is the same. Higher c batteries can safely hold high amp loads but that doesn't mean you'll be seeing above mid 3v per cell.

jayz 84

I knew it! My Dad And I have been arguing all summer about this... I told him that my motor has more power with the bigger battery and he would say, " 12volts is 12volts, its your imagination." Now i have a way to explain it to him. Thanks guys :)

Oh ya man the bigger the battery the longer you can hold on to the higher discharge rate also how many amp the battery can produce. The high the mah combined with the C rating gives the amount of amps the battery can discharge. Its all math and its a good thing to know when powering you setup for its full potential

jayz 84

tried for my video today on the mig but i had a launch failure. Nothing bad happen just alittle noise damage mostly pod. Think she was tail heavy or not enough throttle. But ran the motor not noticing the prop was broken and it broke off on spin up and hit me in the arm luckly just surface cut but hurt like hell. Gonna try and fix her tonight and try again in the am

jayz 84

Hey nic im planing on a 800mm mig and wanted to ask about the 7x7 prop on the ntm 35x36 1800 did she run hot on that prop i was thinking on trying it over the 7x6. Got a new 85amp esc on the way for that motor

jayz 84

Got her all back together and once again i got tired of the pulling the pod out so i did my battery hatch and pod mod on it CAM00517.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hey nic im planing on a 800mm mig and wanted to ask about the 7x7 prop on the ntm 35x36 1800 did she run hot on that prop i was thinking on trying it over the 7x6. Got a new 85amp esc on the way for that motor

Yeah 7x7 pulls around 75a so you'll run hot. It's a huge bump over the 7x6 though, so it's worth it. And man, I love your paint job and that battery mod! I am really thinking about using that idea and incorporating it into the nnBirds, it's just so convenient.

Oh and as a small tease, I will be releasing scaled up and down versions of my planes in the future ;-)

jayz 84

Yeah 7x7 pulls around 75a so you'll run hot. It's a huge bump over the 7x6 though, so it's worth it. And man, I love your paint job and that battery mod! I am really thinking about using that idea and incorporating it into the nnBirds, it's just so convenient.

Oh and as a small tease, I will be releasing scaled up and down versions of my planes in the future ;-)

If its worth it then ill go for it. Ya man i like the paint job to i thought at first i wouldent but i do now its done. And man if i was you i would deff try the mod on a build and see how you like it. I love it man and so much easier. Diff scale bird would be great man

Guy

Hi everyone

Thank you Nic for this very nice design

I have questions about the aluminium spar.

What is the angle in deg to bend it so the wing is spot on your design ?
And what are the tools/technics that you guys used to get the flat to the right angle ?

Thank you all and sorry if those questions have been addressed before.

Regards.

Guy

jayz 84

Hi everyone

Thank you Nic for this very nice design

I have questions about the aluminium spar.

What is the angle in deg to bend it so the wing is spot on your design ?
And what are the tools/technics that you guys used to get the flat to the right angle ?

Thank you all and sorry if those questions have been addressed before.

Regards.

Guy

Hey guy i did a how to build on the wing that tells you step by step on how to build the wing nic has it posted for you to look at on page one. Cause not sure which angles you are asking for. check that out and if you still have any questions we will sure help you out

Jaxx

Jayz,
That bird looks awesome! The spinner just sets it off. More pics please! That battery hatch is a great mod. I will have to try that. Great job man.

Last edited:

jayz 84

Jayz,
That bird looks awesome! The spinner just sets it off. More pics please! That battery hatch is a great mode. I will have to try that. Great job man.

Thanks jaxx. Ya sence i hand alittle mishap and had to work on it i desided to do my mod. Its a great mod depending on your setup i have heavy motors so the battery has to sit far back in the fuse this one its under the canopy. I havent tried it on the full size spit yet knowing how the battery sets up front. But i have a cliped wing spit with a speed wing in the works and will be applying the mod to. ill be applying the mod to ALL. my planes now. Im sure itll still work sence the motor its self weight 150g. This mods great sence it gives easy battery changing and gives me the hole wing surface inside the fuse for battery. Adjustment and tons of room for larger batterys(hint nic;) ). The spinner really dose set it off but this one is still to small. Will be getting a bigger one.

What pix are you looking for jaxx ill be happy to post

Last edited:

Guy

Hey guy i did a how to build on the wing that tells you step by step on how to build the wing nic has it posted for you to look at on page one. Cause not sure which angles you are asking for. check that out and if you still have any questions we will sure help you out

Hello,

I am talking about the angles on the aluminium spar. The spar is bent at an angle at 14cm from each ends and i didn't find yet what is the angle (dihedral) I saw this on Nic's first photos on page 1

I know i must be wrong but the build log i saw with you is on page 30, and there is no mention of the technic employed to bend the spar or the angle of the dihedral ;-(

Thank you

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Guy,

With a hacksaw make your cut at 14cm. You'll cut halfway down the width of the spar. Once the cut is done you just bend the aluminum to close the gap you created with the hacksaw blade. This creates your dihedral at the right angle.

Jaxx

Jayz,
Just post something that shows the whole plane so that we can see the spinner. A few pics like Nic posted at the end of his build log in the first post. Thanks man. Did I ever mention how much I love this forum? It feels like we're all friends from the FT RC Club.:)