NutBall Scratch Build

Vindfrisk

Is it possible to use depron instead or is it not stiff enough?

I have a hard time finding this foamboard, foamcore, redibord, dollartree thing in Sweden.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

Välkommen, vindfrisk!

Yes, you can use depron. In the USA people use foamboard because of it's availablility and price. The main difference (apart from price) is that foamboard7dollar tree foam has paper on it. The difference in the build would just be using tape where the paper would be (hinges and folds).

It's okay if not better to use depron. Just make sure it's thick enough or reinforced enough to hold up if you decide to go bigger.

Hope this answers your question!

Vindfrisk

Välkommen, vindfrisk!

Yes, you can use depron. In the USA people use foamboard because of it's availablility and price. The main difference (apart from price) is that foamboard7dollar tree foam has paper on it. The difference in the build would just be using tape where the paper would be (hinges and folds).

It's okay if not better to use depron. Just make sure it's thick enough or reinforced enough to hold up if you decide to go bigger.

Hope this answers your question!

Tack så mycket Colorex!

Are you swedish or did you just look that phrase up? =)
Thanks a lot for your response, now I know I can buy depron aswell.
I actually found a local store for architects that have something they call "cellpannå",
it's 7$ a 70x100mm, and it looks exactly like the one Josh is using.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Tack så mycket Colorex!

Are you swedish or did you just look that phrase up? =)
Thanks a lot for your response, now I know I can buy depron aswell.
I actually found a local store for architects that have something they call "cellpannå",
it's 7$ a 70x100mm, and it looks exactly like the one Josh is using.

Just make sure it's light enough. I assume you mean 70x100 cm.

If it's this you're referring to then it's great!

http://www.mattonbutiken.se/index/product/id/123900/Cellpanna_Vit_5mm_70x100.html

--------

OFFTOPIC: I am from Ecuador, but both my parents are from Sweden.

davereap

you are welcome to the plans...if a different size is wanted let me know and I will scale it for you...I think I can also tile at letter size if that is more convenient..please try this and see if its better for you... dave

Attachments

• nutball-swapable-plans-1_letter_tiled.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 518
Last edited:

voipmonkey

@Davereap, can i ask Dave how do you do the scaling and PDF creating? How do you get a nice tiled PDF from a JPG image?

John Campbell

@Davereap, can i ask Dave how do you do the scaling and PDF creating? How do you get a nice tiled PDF from a JPG image?

It is actually fairly simple. From the program, such as CAD you can simply print the file as you normally would, but when you select the printer, choose PDF. Options in the PDF printing for Sizing/Scale Then take the file to to be printed.

Ramen

weight

what weight should it be? My 20 incher came as 180g. I think that is on the heavy side, isn't it?

davereap

ScaleAndTile3 is a little java program written by Bill Segraves a rcgroups member.. If you contact him through the groups site he will email it to you.. there are two versions, one is free , and another has more functions and for this one he likes a donation to his charity..
Ive reviewed the free one here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1560478&page=3

Is the 180 gms the all up flying weight including its battery? If yes then thats a very good weight ..and at just under 3 ozsqft it will float nicely.. the hextronic motor will give somewhere near 14oz thrust on three cells that is plenty of power for a light model..
going heavier for 4ozsqft .. 246gms.. still will fly fine especially outdoors,
although for indoors lighter is better

The most important point when first flying a nutball... throttle it down after take off, and fly on the lowest throttle you can manage.. with more throttle they are HIGHLY maneuverable and quick responses are needed..

Last edited:

PrInCe

Details

where are all the details? wire size/gauge, what horns, i don't see anything on pdf saying where the servo holes need to be cut etc etc etc?

teflyer

Full Circle
What do you mean by servo holes? Ther servos can be locates anywhere you want on the wing. In the video, they are posted right next to each other on the diameter of the circle. The control horns can be attached by cutting a slit into the control surfaces, pushing the control horn up so that part of the control horn is above the control surface and the base is on the bottom of the control surfaces. Make sure that the holes on the control horns line up with the hinge. For what type of control horns, just buy any type from Hobby King with the screw on base. Here is a iink for one of them. Discard the small rectagular base piece as it is not necessary in this case.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8599

Wire size can be any size really as long as it is not flimey. Personally I use 0.047in. Music wire. If you use this music wire, you will need a small drill to enlargen the holes on the servo horns.

davereap

I have a hard time finding this foamboard, foamcore, redibord, dollartree thing in Sweden.

depron is great... tape covered with 2" colored packing tape it is much lighter than rediboard and will fly better.. you will likely need some CF or similar as a spar to stiffen the wing across the span, but the fusulage box will stiffen the wing down its length..

gear positions... are always done to get the COG in the right spot.. likely your servos will have to go forward as does everything else.. build the model fit your engine and UC then rough position the other bits to get the COG at 25%.. then cut your holes
If you are doing a readiboard build like josh then look to see where he has fitted his gear, and you wont go far wrong...

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I don't have a dollar store but I was able to track down some foam board in a fabric store for about 3.50 a sheet. They also had some 1/2" thick stuff I'm experimenting with but it's quite a bit more.

davereap

Try to find the foam with out the paper.. its much lighter but will need a spar or two to stiffen the wing and tape to strengthen the foam..lighter flys beter..

Johntra

Does this thing have a COG? or does it just fly with whatever?

Edit: okay i found it 25% back from the motor.

Last edited:

John Campbell

Does this thing have a COG? or does it just fly with whatever?

Edit: okay i found it 25% back from the motor.

Glad you found it, was about to reply to you on it. I have not started mine, as I have so many other projects on my bench... I need to establish a priorty for each of them. I think I have 5 open projects... 3 of them waiting on parts.

Johntra

I couldnt get get cg right on mine. I had to put a 1600mAh 3S to get it to ballance. and then i ran out of 8x3.8s so i put a 10x4.7 on it and it was doing a harrier. lol 3D nutball.

Ompapamowmow

I have a 35-36c Motor laying around and was wondering how big of a nutball I should make with it. Is there a good nutball size to motor size ratio figure outer? Also what size prop and esc. Thanks in advance.