Optimized RCExplorer Tricopter Template

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I have some kind of a middle thing on that problem. I made both a little longer :D Thought that this would reduce both in a way.

back to topic! I got some news !

I flew the Tricopter today again under rather windy conditions where I could barely stand more then 5 minutes due to the coldness :D

However, even though I "crashed" two or three times (I am saying "" because crashin is normally associated with damaging somthing) but nothing happened. As usual the arms just folded back.

If any of you have seen my new camera mount (look at this for pictures), I might put my new GoPro HD Hero 2 on that mount, that is what it was actually done for but I am not sure if I will keep the camera as I am not fully persuaded with its quality, yet.

But what I wanted to ask is if anyone know if I need to reprogramm the board if I want to fly the Tri as a T copter and not as a Y-Copter. In theory I would only need to do a little more expo trimming and that should give me the same flight experience, shouldn´t it!?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
But what I wanted to ask is if anyone know if I need to reprogramm the board if I want to fly the Tri as a T copter and not as a Y-Copter. In theory I would only need to do a little more expo trimming and that should give me the same flight experience, shouldn´t it!?

Before researching: I think that converting into a T will only make the tricopter more elevator-pitchy. The weight will be distributed between the two front motors, and the tail motor will only counter-balance, eg spin much slower.

After researching: I checked on the programmer software, there is nothing like T-copter firmware, and other people are using standard tricopter firmware to fly with their T's.

--------------------------

Thanks for the pics, voipmonkey! I'll put them in the picture post

Manfet

If you don't adjust the CG it will be very pitchy for pushing the elevator down but much less for getting up. Because like colorex said the CGs almost between the front motors and they need much more force to turn the copter around the CG because they have less lever arm in the T-Mode.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah thats what I was thinking too.

For the conversion I guess we´d need to place the battery somewhere on the tail boom. I have two velcro straps, so that shouldn´t be a problem. I´ll give it a try as soon as it gets warmer :D

voipmonkey

Before researching: I think that converting into a T will only make the tricopter more elevator-pitchy. The weight will be distributed between the two front motors, and the tail motor will only counter-balance, eg spin much slower.

After researching: I checked on the programmer software, there is nothing like T-copter firmware, and other people are using standard tricopter firmware to fly with their T's.

--------------------------

Thanks for the pics, voipmonkey! I'll put them in the picture post

No Worries having fun trying to get this to fly in the wind :(
I think I have a good set-up now we shall see.
Mark

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I think it is better to have the ESC's close to your motor, if you put them far away this might lead to timing problems at higher RPM.
source

And Colorex, could you post the CAD file for me, this way i can cut it out on the lasercutter.

Actually, someone suggested a thread on FG that long power cables kill your ESC. Read here for more information:

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42035

And, just PM me your e-mail and I'll send them to you. I'll see if I can get them uploaded some day.

UndCon

UndCon
True long cables are bad as there are high frequencies we are talking about...

Colorex - I can host the files if you want to have them available for download

//UndCon

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
True long cables are bad as there are high frequencies we are talking about...

Colorex - I can host the files if you want to have them available for download

//UndCon

OK! Thanks! Can you PM me your e-mail address and I'll send the files to you. I might have to clean them up a bit first.

dssaction

if u guys are looking for those frame cut out of g10 rather 2.5 mm or 1.5 mm i can help u out.just send me he message.
thanks

Files downloaded and saved.
Parts ordered and getting on the slow boat from China.

<<insert evil scientist laugh here>>

I got the tricopter files from Colorex, cut them out today. see the result for yourself: IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

I'll think about it. Do you think 4mm birch plywood is strong enough?
If so, I might get a board of it and cut out as much as possible and sell them.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I'll think about it. Do you think 4mm birch plywood is strong enough?
If so, I might get a board of it and cut out as much as possible and sell them.

We only have one type of plywood here, it's quite heavy, but 4mm is enough in my case (with my hand-cut pieces).

Just make sure you get a bit longer screws - I use 25mm x 3mm.