Optimized RCExplorer Tricopter Template

glydr

How many letters do we ge
The logo is brilliant, though would it not be covered with equipment on the top and camera mount underneath?

I'm putting together a tri at the moment off these templates (cheers Colorex) and have been thinking about a similar shaped equipment guard (ala fpvmanuals tricopter) stood above the rest on nylon standoffs. That would look absolutely brilliant with a logo and protect the flight gear (multi wii in my case).

G

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I'm putting together a tri at the moment off these templates (cheers Colorex)

:D

The logo is brilliant, though would it not be covered with equipment on the top and camera mount underneath?

Yes it will, unless you mount the Rx elsewhere.

tricopter90.jpg

have been thinking about a similar shaped equipment guard (ala fpvmanuals tricopter) stood above the rest on nylon standoffs. That would look absolutely brilliant with a logo and protect the flight gear

That would be awesome! But you'd need waaay longer screws...

voipmonkey

We only have one type of plywood here, it's quite heavy, but 4mm is enough in my case (with my hand-cut pieces).

Just make sure you get a bit longer screws - I use 25mm x 3mm.

I also used 3mm ply for mine and it is very strong once bolted together. not damaged it yet ;)
although i have broken a few props :(
Mark

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Oh the logo on plates is cool how did you get that on using colorex transfer technique?

No, that is laser engraved...

But you can use the transfer technique as well! If you use a big copying machine, turn the contrast waaay up so that you get a darker image. And practice, practice, practice; it may come out blurry sometimes.

I thought about it and I think I can find some time to make a few more.
How much are you willing to spend on it (including shipping)?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
UPDATE!

UndCon
is now hosting the files. Make sure you go to http://www.undcon.com/colorex and check it out!

I have also released revision 1.2 of the files, which includes the following:

- Added modifications so you can use 9 mm, 10 mm, or 12 mm booms.
- Added the optimized RCExplorer.se "coffin" design. Only available for 10 mm booms.
- Added the Battery and Camera plate.
- DWG and DXF files available for download. These are for use in CNC/Laser Machines.
- Files now hosted on UndCon's website.

davyg

thanks guys for all your time and effort... I have downloaded a few of the templates.. could you tell me what the actual dimensions of the battery tray are before I print out and cut the plywood:D

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
thanks guys for all your time and effort... I have downloaded a few of the templates.. could you tell me what the actual dimensions of the battery tray are before I print out and cut the plywood:D

Same as the original RCExplorer - 190 x 40 mm

7.4803 inches x 1.5748 inches

Astroman

I just printed mine off, using the optimised 12mm template, unfortunately I had no black ink so I had to put it into GIMP and re-colourise it to red then printed it. One down size to this was it came out smaller so I put it through a photocopier and enlarged it to 1.15x fitted perfectly then... One thing I did change was I made it into a coffin body, looks much nicer I think.

PS. Yes I know I have the front arms bolted on wrong on the second pic :) That is what happens when you work without photos and try to go by memory.

Attachments

• tripic3.JPG
    tripic3.JPG
    383.2 KB · Views: 79
  • tripic4.JPG
    tripic4.JPG
    466.2 KB · Views: 90

Astroman

I am not too sure if it is a big issue or not, but what I meant by being wrong is that it differs from other images I have seen of the way people have put it together. Thinking aloud here, I cannot see how it would be a big issue as long as both sides are equally spaced and are symmetrical, is this correct?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I am not too sure if it is a big issue or not, but what I meant by being wrong is that it differs from other images I have seen of the way people have put it together. Thinking aloud here, I cannot see how it would be a big issue as long as both sides are equally spaced and are symmetrical, is this correct?

I think know what you mean - The arms pivot on different screws. I'll explain: The original RCExplorer Template has the arms pivoting on the inner screws, and the outer screws are the stoppers for the arms. On the Optimized RCExplorer Template, the arms pivot on the outer screws instead. The way you mount the arms may change the angle a bit, so if you're using the optimized template make sure you pivot your arms on the outer screw.

Here is David's original design:

tricopter59.jpg

Your design is correctly mounted :)

Budge

Pivot Holes in Booms

Hi. Thanks for sharing and posting the optimized tricopter templates. How far from the edge of the boom are your drilling your pivot hole for the 3mm screw? David was using 15mm with his original template, but his holes were in a different location.