Should I get the Turnigy 9X or 9XR?

nunieboy

interferance? kinda like when josh s. lost the rarebear?*(can't remember) i think it was cause of interferance or a dead spot.
maybe the failsafe would've helped

martin mcfly

That depends on the kind of flying you're planning and what you think you might be doing in the future...

I noticed that some Quadcopter ESCs have Throttle signal loss protection, can we use the failsafe feature of the ESC as compensation for 9x stock receiver ?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That just cut's throttle if they lose signal or keeps it at the last point it had signal, I think...

Either way, bad things will happen. With a true failsafe, you can set it for return to home if the multi loses signal.

Flight_Noob

So i have a few questions.

Im completely new to the hobby and have no freaking clue what im looking for or what i need. I currently have a nice heli which i cant fly because i have no idea what im doing and looking to get into some of these swappable planes. I have spent a lot of time the last few days reading through post after post after post. Three radios i keep seeing a lot of are these two turnigy 9x 9xr , and or Dx spectrum. So im trying to decide which to buy. I like that the 9x and 9xr are super cheap compared to the spectrum stuff.

First what are these modules i keep seeing every one talk about? I think i get what they are however just not sure.

Second I see that there is new V2 software loaded on the 9x turnigy radio does that mean one would still have to do the upgrade to the E9x for it be a good radio ?

Lastly why is the Turnigy radio 50 bucks for 9 channel compared to the Spectrum which are hundreds of dollars for just a 7 or 8 even? Is there that much of a difference that price determines better equipment ?

I know its been asked several times and i see several different threads and there are so many different choices how can anyone ever decide on the right one. I just hate to buy something and it be junk and have to buy something else any way.

XX Edit XX

So after reading and reading and reading... i give up trying to pick a radio. i hate the price tag on the Dx8 however it seems to be a great radio. I love the price tag on the Turnigy 9xr but seems people like the 9x better. I guess i just need to suck it up and just go buy one.

Any more choices like this and i might lose my mind :D (its were all the fun is right)

Thanks for all the help in advanced.

Last edited:

Johan

I bought the 9x and flashed (requires soldering...) it to the er9x firmware (makes it like a 9x, but less flashy).
That could be an option as well ....

earthsciteach

Oh, man. There is no easy answer. If you buy the Turnigy 9x with stock module (its the thing that actually communicates with the receiver in the plane and plugs into the back of the radio) you'll be happy. Eventually you will want to upgrade to the ER9x firmware, but you have time before you reach that point.

If you buy the Turnigy 9Xr, you will have to buy a module, as well. I recommend the FrSky. Great stuff! The 9Xr comes the the ER9x firmware already. With that and the FrSky module, you should be quite content for a long time.

I won't even talk about the Spektrum stuff. Way pricey compared to Turnigy. Those are just my personal opinions. There are plenty of others who won't agree. It just like that with radios.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
So after reading and reading and reading... i give up trying to pick a radio.

Feel your pain and then some, but you'll be hard pressed to find anyone here who hasn't beat their head against this wall.

As long as what you get works, you'll likely fall in love the nice parts and learn to work around the things you hate. When it won't fly the plane you like or some "feature" finally bugs you one time too many, you'll be better suited to make the decision you'll like.

FWIW, I'm really pleased with my DX7s, and even have plans to run up to the full 7 channels -- though not for 8 . . . yet. If it fell in the lake and I had to start over . . . not sure I'd want different or not . . .

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If your choice is between the 2 Turnigys, there is a somewhat easy answer. If you are comfortable making the necessary mods, most involve soldering to some tiny pads and circuit traces, to flash the firmware, get the 9X. If you'd rather just plug it in and go, get the 9XR. Just starting out, the build quality won't mean anything to you since you have no basis for comparison. And both radios will fly anything you'd like to try, at this point. The main thing is not to sweat too much about it, get in the air and have fun!

klaw

I have both 9X and 9XR radios.

The 9X is a great radio for the money. It's simple and reliable, it has all the necessary features, and it comes will everything except the AA batteries that power it. I have never encountered any problems with build quality or signal interference.

I bought the Smartiepants programmer board and upgraded the stock 9X firmware to ER9X. The firmware upgrade is easily the best modification for the 9X - it opens up a new world of possibilities. And the Smartiepants board means that even a total noob can upgrade firmware, and add an LED backlight, without worrying about messing up the soldering or frying something. I also did the RCModelReviews LiIon battery upgrade - a battery that easily lasts all day, for $8. For a total investment of about $130, this combo is still unbeatable.

The 9XR is definitely a nicer piece of equipment. I'm not super fussed on the black/chrome styling, but the switches feel nicer and the build quality is definitely improved. I like the ability to change modules more easily (the 9X module requiers you to snip the factory antenna cable to change modules) and the built-in programmer interface is very convenient. The screen seems a little sharper too, and the integrated antenna in the handle is a great idea to make it less fragile.

However, the 9XR is more expensive to get started with. It requires a module & receiver, and a battery, to get started with - that means you're up for at least $40 extra in setup costs. Plus, there are no modules yet that can access the integrated antenna, so you still have a floppy fragile antenna hanging out the back.

For a total beginner, I still recommend the 9X. It's simple to use, the stock firmware is good enough for all basic models, the radio system is reliable and the receivers are dirt cheap. It's a great combination of features for a very low price - very hard to beat.

MrClean

Assume you will be playing in this hobby for a good long time. In that case buy the 9xR and a FrSky module for it OR if you can get it buy an Orange Spektrum module for it (Don't seem to be available at HK right now). The FrSky module uses better methods of communicating then the Spektrum does. FrSky doesn't have any really cheap receivers like the Orange ones at 7 bucks a pop. Their 4 channel RX is about 15 bucks.

The 9xR or 9x will fly most of the airplanes n helicopters you ever plan on flying for not very much money. New radios are coming in all the time like the new Taranis from FrSky. Native mode uses the good FrSky system and there's a hole in the back for an external module (I plan on getting the Orange Spektrum for my foamies and those dozen or so 7 buck receivers I have). That has 50 model memories and 16 channels and only runs about 175 if you don't get the 16 channel receiver with it.

Why not go that route first? Because it's a pain in the patoot. You have to program every plane you put into it. Oh, theres templates saved in it for you to apply but then you have to fiddle with those. It's not like a basic 4-6 channel radio where you put the RX in the plane, attach the servos and maybe flip a reverse switch if the throttle is backwards. There's program switches to hit for that. And for end point adjustments, and analog curves you can set up, and dual rates, and couple mixes and a bunch of other stuff AND it's 175 bucks not 50-100 (dang near 10 Orange receivers). But you can pull the module out of the back of your 9xr and stick it in the Taranis if you go that route some day. Shoot, if it's a couple years before you do it there's liable to be a NEW radio out that mocks the Taranis. All the features plus simple programming and 100 bucks, you never know. I can't believe I'm playing with a radio that has this kind of power for under 200 bucks.

Buy the 9xR and lets get some flying done.

Flight_Noob

Lots of great advice. thank you so much from everyone.

This radio thing i never thought in 100 years the remote to fly this stuff would be so much more complicated than it is! The inevitable brick wall is not my friend.

So with all that im fairly confidant im going to get the Turnigy 9xr. Im still a little confused on the modules though.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...roduct=14349&gclid=CJ7vgbLE_7gCFWJqMgod5VUA1A
is that what is needed for the radio ?

and do i need one of these
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14350__FrSky_V8FR_II_2_4Ghz_8CH_Receiver_HV_.html
for every plain / heli i have if i dont want to switch it to other models ?
and does the receiver have to match the module type in order for it to be compatible. im assuming so.

is that how it works? sorry for the stupid question.

you all have been wonderful !