Show your Warbird mods

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
We usually get a good amount of snow here in Michigan but this year we have only had about 4 or 5 inches total all year. I don't mind that at all. But I am more than ready to fly...C'MON SPRINGTIME!

WarbirdFan66

Parkzones F4F Wildcat

Hi there pilots,

and today im back again with one of my favorite Planes, which is also the first Parkzone bird i baught...the F4F Wildcat. I liked that plane right from the start, for it looks (it looks great, even out of the box), it flight characteristics and its performance, plus its a perfect bellylander.
Still there were a few things i was missing on the Wildcat and after checking out a few pictures on the net i started working on a little mod. I put the 4 50.cal maschineguns into the wings, opened the cockpit, put on a 3-bladed prop, added a lightkit and did a little weathering with my airbrush to give it a little bit more realistic look. This is not a very extensive mod, just a few miner detail but i think it makes the plane look a lot better then the standard version :cool:.

The setup is more or less the same, the only thing i did was, switching the 18Amp ESC against a 30Amp to deal with the 3-bladed prop. And i know some of you guys might think "mmm a 3-bladed prop on a bellylander", i can tell you, i have logged a little bit over 11 hours of flighttime (thats over 80 landings) with this prop and its still the first one, just in case some of you guys wanna try.

And here a few pics of my Wildcat...
F4F Wildcat Stills 2012-02-11 003_kl 200.jpg F4F Wildcat Stills 2012-02-11 007_kl 200.jpg F4F Wildcat Stills 2012-02-11 010_kl 200.jpg F4F Wildcat Stills 2012-02-11 014_kl 200.jpg F4F Wildcat Stills 2012-02-11 021_kl 200.jpg

ands

IMG_0262.JPG Great job WBF,

Love the nose art. Is it a decal or hand painted? Have you ever used Tamiya smoke? Works great to add depth to panel lines and obviously smoke effect :p
Here is a crappy picture of my old Cat, god rest her soul. Her sudden departure is still being investigated by Horizon. New airframe in the hanger waiting to be put together. Busy doing a full mod on the Pz Corsair. First time using Fiberglass and Liquid Wings :eek:

Anyway, apologies for poor quality of pic. and yes, I know; wrong nose. Different bird, but hay; I had been grounded for two weeks due to bad weather...it was a moment of madness!!! ;)

Last edited:

WarbirdFan66

go Wildcats

View attachment 3064 Great job WBF,

Love the nose art. Is it a decal or hand painted? Have you ever used Tamiya smoke? Works great to add depth to panel lines and obviously smoke effect :p
Here is a crappy picture of my old Cat, god rest her soul. Her sudden departure is still being investigated by Horizon. New airframe in the hanger waiting to be put together. Busy doing a full mod on the Pz Corsair. First time using Fiberglass and Liquid Wings :eek:

Anyway, apologies for poor quality of pic. and yes, I know; wrong nose. Different bird, but hay; I had been grounded for two weeks due to bad weather...it was a moment of madness!!! ;)

Damn ands, thats one nice looking Cat you got there, good job man. And no i never used Tamiya smoke yet but i can clearly see why you like it so much :), is it and airbrush color or do you use a normal brush for that :confused:, the panel line look very cool.
And by the way, what is that "liquid wings" stuff you are talking about, is that some kind of foamie repair kit, never heard about it :confused:?
And about the nose art, the checked pattern is airbrushed and the lady is hand painted, but with some help to be honest :eek:, printed her out and then put some paint over it, i wish i could do stuff like that freehand, i am practiceing but im far from a presentable result, yet ;).
I also know that its not how O'Hare really flew, it was more like an experiment for the nose art, and i case i wanna go scale (if you can call it that) i have a weathered spare cowl. Baught and extra one in case the mod didnt turn out that well :eek:

ands

Thanks WB, will pm you a link for the Liquid Wings, there is quite a bit of info on it on RCG. Yeah, tamaya Smoke is through the airbrush. You can get some really nice subtle tones with it, not that you would notice with my old Cat! kinda rushed that one and went freehand, no masks etc :rolleyes: New airframe is going to be way better now that she is up there as one of my favourite birds and I have got a cool idea for her finish, might cause a bit of a stir :p :D

Just experementing with some clear resin led covers for the reflectors I have.. I just cant buy what I want! dont even think they exist :confused: Think I have found a workable idea, will take some tweeking but not bad for a first attempt. Come to the conclusion that I dont want the covers to be clear! going to make them misty so will defuse the light more :D...well that's the idea anyway :D

Attachments

• IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
Great work on both of those bords. A couple fine looking cats, for sure! I just started the weathering on my new Zero. Still lots of work to do. Man, there are about a mile of panel lines on that damn thing! Gonna have to look for some of that Smoke, that looks killer!

ands

Thanks man, yeah, the Tamiya Smoke is great stuff. Gotta put it through your airbrush with some thinner and a low psi. Also don't lay it on to thick cos you think its not visible enough; you'll be surprised. Dry's satin ish; so you might want to seal. Can also be used to tint canopy's.

anouther prodeuc I use quite a bit is http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/accessories/alclad2.htm

Amazing stuff. It really is the Dogs bo**ocks (English Slang for really rather good) ;) Just dont even let it in the same room as foam, use on plastic only.

You doing a mod blog on the Zero?

Ands

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
Haven't given it much thought to be honest. On second thought, maybe I will. Might be helpful to some others out there.

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
Spektrum514,
Looks like you got the tri-fecta there! Any plans for a P40 in your future?

A P-40 Warhawk is indeed on my future wishlist. Right now I am concentrating on building a GP Revolver and a flying angry bird.

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
@DejaD - Very nice work man, and not overdone at all if you ask me, i like the weathering...i wish i had some hangarspace left for a nice supersize P-51. I might miss a bit residue on the engine exhausts, but thats all. And nice nose art too, is a decal or painted? By the way are you still using the stock electronics or did you change/add anything?
And one other tiny thing i just noticed, i miss a nice 4-bladed prop but thats just me, if you want more speed i understand that completly, anyway - good job. :applause:

Warbirdzfan66, First of all, let me appologize for not responding sooner. I can't believe I missed your post...Very sorry.
If you look VERY closely there is a just a hint of mist aft of the exhaust. It is VERY light and barely shows in the pics. I will try to darken it, I just couldn't bring myself to point my airbrush at Rose...lol.
The nose art is from Callie-Graphics here in The States. It is a decal.
As far as electronics go, I replaced the ESC with a 65A Castle Creations and added a 10A BEC. I moved the elevator servo to the rudder and enlisted a beefier 84? ounce (don't recall the model number) Spektrum servo to operate the elevator for me. Overkill? Yes. But it was laying there and I decided to put it to work. It fit with a little modding to the tray.
I totally understand your fondness for the 4-bladed prop. I love the sound, not to mention the look of it over the 2-blader but when I saw the performance increase I couldn't say no.

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
Thanks man, yeah, the Tamiya Smoke is great stuff. Gotta put it through your airbrush with some thinner and a low psi. Also don't lay it on to thick cos you think its not visible enough; you'll be surprised. Dry's satin ish; so you might want to seal. Can also be used to tint canopy's.

anouther prodeuc I use quite a bit is http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/accessories/alclad2.htm

Amazing stuff. It really is the Dogs bo**ocks (English Slang for really rather good) ;) Just dont even let it in the same room as foam, use on plastic only.

You doing a mod blog on the Zero?

Ands

Ands,
Just to let you know, I did start a blog for the Zero. Not too much there right now, mainly a little about my "plans" for the Zero. But do me a favor, check it out and let me know if I'm on the right track, would you please? I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right or not...I'm SO confused!! :confused: They say once you hit 50 you start to lose it a little...I hit 50 Sunday and forgot to take out the trash on Monday! (That's what I told my wife, anyway.)

Last edited:

WarbirdFan66

no problem

...I replaced the ESC with a 65A Castle Creations and added a 10A BEC. I moved the elevator servo to the rudder and enlisted a beefier 84? ounce (don't recall the model number) Spektrum servo to operate the elevator for me. Overkill? Yes. But it was laying there and I decided to put it to work. It fit with a little modding to the tray.
I totally understand your fondness for the 4-bladed prop. I love the sound, not to mention the look of it over the 2-blader but when I saw the performance increase I couldn't say no.

And if you ask me you really did a good job on your bird.
And by the way, since i crashed one of my P-47´s because of a burned out ESC i always put in external BEC into my planes, for safty reasons, but usually smaler once (5Amps). Cant stress this enough, for me its mandatory.
And i also so understand you prop choice, if you want more speed there is now way around a 2-blader. Still for me speed is not that improtant, i like the sound and the extra thrust the thing provide.

ands

Great start on the blog Dave. Dont worry to much about the right and wrong way, just enjoy and use it as your own diary. If people follow, comment and get tips, then all the better. :D

Mustang looks great by the way. :applause:

Ands

DejaD

ARG=almost ready to glue
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your comments. I never thought of the blog as a diary. Excellent idea to have a record of what Ii did and when I did it.