Simple Beech Staggerwing

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I don't know what the angles are, but I shaved about 4 mm off the pod face both down and right. You can see it in the modified plans I sent you.
The wind in Indiana finally died enough for me to try your mod to the thrust angle. It was PERFECT!!!!! Flew like a dream, no pull to the left on launch, no abrupt climb on throttle. It looped and rolled like it was made for it. Good job!(y)(y)(y)

luvmy40

Elite member
Good to hear!

I have yet to build #2 but it is on the list. I have several builds in process and I really think I should actually finish some before starting another... Yeah, riiigghht.

jpot1

Elite member
Here is my build. I put the elevator and rudder servos in the fuse and leave the front open, secured with magnets to install the battery. I glued all wings in.

Is Cg 1/2” back on top wing?

image.jpg

image.jpg

jpot1

Elite member
4 good flights today until I pushed a bit too far. Was flying inverted and got my up/down confused. Smooshed the nose, broke the cowl. Tempted to build this XL size.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
4 good flights today until I pushed a bit too far. Was flying inverted and got my up/down confused. Smooshed the nose, broke the cowl. Tempted to build this XL size.
Glad you got some good flights in. I've tried inverted a couple of time with my Spitfire but only at about 4 mistakes high, I have enough trouble right side up:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

tomlogan1

Elite member
Just starting mine, but using 3d printed servo mounts (thingiverse) that allow you to screw in the servos and remove defective servos without damaging the plane itself.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Love it! I can't tell from the picture but did you put in some down and right thrust on the motor?
Yep, as you described. I increased the size of the spars (never could follow directions) so the profile of the wing is a bit more extreme than the plans dictate. Easy fix if I need to redo. Otherwise an easy build, especially if you spread it out. The whole plane is covered with clear packing tape to keep the moisture from destroying it.

Last edited:

RossFPV

Yep, as you described. I increased the size of the spars (never could follow directions) so the profile of the wing is a bit more extreme than the plans dictate. Easy fix if I need to redo. Otherwise an easy build, especially if you spread it out. The whole plane is covered with clear packing tape to keep the moisture from destroying it.
you should try minwax polyurethane to waterproof planes, i put a piece of foam with poly submerged in water for about an hour and it was fine but make sure you buy oil based minwax polyurethane.

flyranger

Here is my build. I put the elevator and rudder servos in the fuse and leave the front open, secured with magnets to install the battery. I glued all wings in.

Is Cg 1/2” back on top wing?

View attachment 230962
View attachment 230963
Not on mine. At .5 inches on top wing, it was massively tail heavy. My balance point is 60mm back from lower wing. All up wt with 2200 3 cell was 31 ozs. C motor swinging 10x4 prop drawing 7 amps gives 30oz static thrust. Many flights, some grass and goes, and a hand launch, but could use more power. Had to add 70cm length to the nose to get good balance .

Attachments

• 20230710_140209.jpg
    20230710_140209.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

flyranger

Started my own (and my first bipe).
Maidened unsuccessfully due to cg very tail heavy. Rebuilt and extended nose 60mm. Increased dihedral from 1.5in to 2.5in on both wings. Shortened elevator by a third. 31oZ AUW with 2200mah. Added Landing gear and success! 5min flights with a 10x4 prop and "C" prop. Tore off damaged Landing gear and hand launched.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Decided to enhance the "gangsta" look. Thanks to Sponz and Cura being able to resize we have a new front end which will do the job.

Attachments

• IMG_20230907_162601507_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230907_162601507_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230907_162639806_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230907_162639806_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0