Votes: 37 92.5%
  • I'm not sure why I would want to do something like that

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • No way, it will be extra weight for just a few seconds of "smoke"

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I drafted up a preliminary idea for the Twin Jet design.
Still super early-days on the design, nothing functional yet, but the look it really cool so far. :love:
Imagine 2 of these, one under each wing.. Awww, that would look awesome!!..
I recessed the servo into the body cavity/pylon, this helps keep the low profile but reduces internal volume. (n)

Anyway, Im most likely going to scrap this whole design and start again.
I just threw random measurements at it, and have no clue how big this'll be IRL.. lol
Looks pretty small base on the size of that 9g servo model.
This was more of an exercise to determine the challenges I'll face when trying to designing this properly.

So again, Kudos @cdfigueredo! This wont be easy.. o_O
beautiful design!!!!!
wanting to see more

AlLarabie

For this design to work, both inlets need to be controlled by the same servo.
What are the odds of this sliding link working reliably, I wonder?
I was thinking that the attachment points on the Turbine handler and the Servo horn slider-rod-thingy would be slightly lose screws.
Maybe M2, or maybe those (extra?) little screws that come with servos, we all have tonnes of those hanging around right!?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 11.57.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 11.57.36 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

AlLarabie

Thanks.. I can't wait to see it work too.
No clue when I'll be able to test it on a plane tho.. its been months since I've flown.

Looking at the size now, (if this thing actually works and lasts more than 2 seconds, lol), this would be a perfect size for Smaller racing type wings like in the 600/700mm range.

chickenhawk

If any thing, I would love it to be the same size as the first one. I have a large scale crop duster that is just begging for one of these.

AlLarabie

Ok Flite Test Community,

I think the design is ready enough for you guys to give it a try.
Keep in mind, this is like v0.1, I honestly have no clue if it'll work at all.

Attached is a Zip file with the STLs, some slicer screenshots and a quick write up in the Read Me file.
Video of basic functionality:

I designed a hatch for my HEE-Wing F01 (not included) with a little recess for it right on the CG. Not sure how it's gonna affect the flight characteristics..
And I bet my Prop will LOOOOVE being basically sandblasted too.. LOL Not many other places to put it tho.

For those of you that want a larger version, I've also included a "Main Body Servo Test" STL.
This is a cutout of just the Servo area of the main body.
The though is that it could be scaled (maybe +60%) in the slicer to make it large enough to use something like an MG996R servo.
You could do a few test prints, to determined the exact % to increase, so the servo fits without wasting too much time and filament.
Then print all the parts, enlarging them by that %. Assuming they'll fit your print volume.
I haven't tried it yet, and the tolerances may get a bit sloppy, but it could work... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, If anyone does print, please post your builds.

Attachments

• Twin Smoker on HEEWing F01.jpg
    Twin Smoker on HEEWing F01.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Twin Smoker.zip
    21.6 MB · Views: 0

AlLarabie

LOL, I guess I put the Rapid in "Rapid Prototyping"... :p (y)

I just love to CAD model and 3D Print stuff.
Like this Pan Tilt Ball turret Servo gimbal for Runcam Hybrid, that I designed and built like 2 years ago, but never put on a plane.
Its like 1 of 8 (or so) different gimbals I've designed and never used..
I had no reason to build it, ALL my planes are belly-landers, so I have nowhere to mount it.
But I had the idea in my head and just had to design/build it..
Its like an obsession..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.18.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.18.02 AM.png
    615.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.23.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 7.23.11 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

AlLarabie

hehehe.
Yeah, I tested it on top too.. Worked ok, but you can only look left/right or Up..
Not much to see when you look up. LOL.
And looking as far down as you can, all you could see was the plane body.
So the bottom 1/4 or 1/3 of your view was the top of the plane..

I guess I could have put it on a multi-camera switch and switch between a nose cam and this turret cam.
But again, you can only look up, sooooo..

Maybe it could work good AS the nose of the plane.. Something like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/dc/96/0f/dc960faf65d1d2adfbd34a65ee368da1.jpg
Only with a camera, not guns.. LOL..

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
LOL, I guess I put the Rapid in "Rapid Prototyping"... :p(y)

I just love to CAD model and 3D Print stuff.
Like this Pan Tilt Ball turret Servo gimbal for Runcam Hybrid, that I designed and built like 2 years ago, but never put on a plane.
Its like 1 of 8 (or so) different gimbals I've designed and never used..
I had no reason to build it, ALL my planes are belly-landers, so I have nowhere to mount it.
But I had the idea in my head and just had to design/build it..
Its like an obsession..

B-17, B-24, etc......

(y)

AlLarabie

Awesome, cant wait to see if it works.
My prediction is; I created the intake way too small and it wont be able to scoop enough air to effectivly blow powder out the back..

I hope to be proven wrong. LOL

Chaos523

Well yeah - I have to say... the small dual smoker...... was not working on the bench with a hairdryer and flour to test..... printing the big One now