'SPIT' roasted FB

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
But the added expo will do just that for you without decreasing your throws so if you do need to make an emergency maneuver you still have that ability.
True. He may be a bit of a stick banger, have you seen his other flights. Decently reactive like I used to be and still need to smooth out some. What I did was dial my expo up to 45-50% and dial it back to 30% progressively. I had low rates at 45% expo and high rates at 30%, then switch back and forth till I got used to 30%, which is what I fly at now consistently.

Wildthing

Legendary member
True. He may be a bit of a stick banger, have you seen his other flights. Decently reactive like I used to be and still need to smooth out some. What I did was dial my expo up to 45-50% and dial it back to 30% progressively. I had low rates at 45% expo and high rates at 30%, then switch back and forth till I got used to 30%, which is what I fly at now consistently.
That is basically the right way to do it, remember every plane is different and those settings will change accordingly. But if you start off with a little higher expo and decent rates as you dial it in and get the balance exactly where you want it then start playing with your expo and rates to find your comfort level.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I generally start my expo out kinda high at first (around 50%)...until I feel comfortable with it and have gotten past my "jitters". Then I'll lower it.
That is basically the right way to do it, remember every plane is different and those settings will change accordingly. But if you start off with a little higher expo and decent rates as you dial it in and get the balance exactly where you want it then start playing with your expo and rates to find your comfort level.
@buzzbomb likes to push his limits and challenge himself so I can see him wanting to adjust his habits according to the plane. As he flies the Spit more he will smooth himself out and that will carry on to every other plane. The way he is attacking this will work best for him, but for the average person, and from what I can tell, buzz is not average, the progressive expo is the way to go.

Wildthing

Legendary member
30 to 40% is my average on most planes expo can be your friend in a slow 3D model or in a high speedster model. Really really fast planes higher expo and a lower rates, any twitch of your thumb at high speeds can mean disaster. Now some of that is also training your brain and thumbs depending on what you want out of it. Pylon racers are just wicked and any slight miscalculation and it is game over, very little expo used, all in the brain and thumbs :)

Jimun

Elite member
Here is the landing gear I am working on

Spitfire 05.JPG

In the background I have plastic tires printing. I need to get some flexible filament next time.

I found them on thingiverse.com
FliteTest Swapable Spitfire Retractable Landing Gear
by ComikzInk Dec 10, 2017

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Wow. Quite the conversation while I was absent! I should probably clarify. It's not that I see the expo as a crutch. I run 30% on all my planes. Increasing the expo on my elevator would definitely smooth out my flights. @BATTLEAXE is correct, though. I simply don't want to increase the expo. I'd rather tame my thumbs and increase my skill.

My doc is confident that with time, the shakiness I'm experiencing will fade a lot. I'm still running low rates on my Spit. I want to be able to fly on high rates without increasing the expo to do so. If ya'll remember, I flew with zero expo for the longest time. I like to get crazy with my planes. It's stress relief for me.

Now that I've got the motor/prop dialed in the Spit is challenging me just to fly it. That hasn't happened in a long while, now. I want to increase my skill level to the point where I can get crazy with it. That means calming down my thumbs to the point where I can make it dance in the sky. I want to do it the hard way. The journey is half the fun! :)

Jimun

Elite member
Wow. Quite the conversation while I was absent! I should probably clarify. It's not that I see the expo as a crutch. I run 30% on all my planes. Increasing the expo on my elevator would definitely smooth out my flights. @BATTLEAXE is correct, though. I simply don't want to increase the expo. I'd rather tame my thumbs and increase my skill.

My doc is confident that with time, the shakiness I'm experiencing will fade a lot. I'm still running low rates on my Spit. I want to be able to fly on high rates without increasing the expo to do so. If ya'll remember, I flew with zero expo for the longest time. I like to get crazy with my planes. It's stress relief for me.

Now that I've got the motor/prop dialed in the Spit is challenging me just to fly it. That hasn't happened in a long while, now. I want to increase my skill level to the point where I can get crazy with it. That means calming down my thumbs to the point where I can make it dance in the sky. I want to do it the hard way. The journey is half the fun! :)
Go for it;):D

Wildthing

Legendary member

Fly it like you stole it :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Here is the landing gear I am working on

View attachment 146356

In the background I have plastic tires printing. I need to get some flexible filament next time.

I found them on thingiverse.com
FliteTest Swapable Spitfire Retractable Landing Gear
by ComikzInk Dec 10, 2017

I don't think the weight will be a problem for the Spit, my only concern would be having the servos as a direct drive you may strip the gears plus all the weight is right on the end of the servo.