'SPIT' roasted FB

danskis

Master member
Well my third Spit in a year. The second one was flying really nice when the wing folded so I just had to build another. I made this one with a "speed" wing. I tried to reduce drag by filling in the entire underside of the wing (except the airleron) and by using a rounded airfoil. My wind tunnel is down so we'll have to see if these mods make any difference.

spit1.jpg
spit1.jpg
spit wing 1.jpg spit wing 2.jpg Spit airfoil.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well my third Spit in a year. The second one was flying really nice when the wing folded so I just had to build another. I made this one with a "speed" wing. I tried to reduce drag by filling in the entire underside of the wing (except the airleron) and by using a rounded airfoil. My wind tunnel is down so we'll have to see if these mods make any difference.

View attachment 176885 View attachment 176885 View attachment 176886 View attachment 176887 View attachment 176888
Looks awesome!

Marty72

Elite member
On the standard Spitfire plans, the two spars aren't quite right. They're mirrors of each other, but they should be exactly the same so that they mesh properly. I ended up cutting two right wing spars and didn't have any problems.

Thanks Chris and Flyingshark. Makes sense, so my template isn't the problem, next time, use only one spar template for both wings.

bracesport

Legendary member
I have been printing a few spitfire parts for a while - so I thought I'd better pull finger and finish it so here come the elevator parts off of the production line - I pint the finer parts joined together to support each other during printing - this one is destined for the slope too!! :)

IMG_0152.JPG

Attachments

• 265544_11e58a38e78af8cfc30430d224e167a2.jpg
    265544_11e58a38e78af8cfc30430d224e167a2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 265546_737efd53c7c1ea0e05ab8e536a79a5bf.jpg
    265546_737efd53c7c1ea0e05ab8e536a79a5bf.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 266824_4177a9c31056b55984f3f106df80ba50.jpg
    266824_4177a9c31056b55984f3f106df80ba50.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 267376_b3113230a40fde8411e2d9d6e12497e6.jpg
    267376_b3113230a40fde8411e2d9d6e12497e6.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
I have been printing a few spitfire parts for a while - so I thought I'd better pull finger and finish it so here come the elevator parts off of the production line - I pint the finer parts joined together to support each other during printing - this one is destined for the slope too!! :)

View attachment 177838
That reminds me I need to re-print a new fuse for mine :D

Marty72

Elite member

View attachment 176885 View attachment 176885 View attachment 176886 View attachment 176887 View attachment 176888
So does it make a difference?

danskis

Master member
Hard to say but I believe it did cut down on a noticeable amount of drag and as long as your flying fast there is no tip stall (it landed fine). It needs a new firewall now so it's temporarily out of commission. The wing has no creases in it. I just take the paper off the inside of the top of the wing (up to the spar) and slowly bend it over (you could form it like the master series too). On the bottom I filled in the back of the center section by just leaving more foamboard and then trimming to the top of the wing after I folded the top over. I did use the back spar and I also ironed the back lower wing to an extreme taper. I ironed the leading edge of the tips to round them and then just cut another piece to fill in the tips. After gluing I rounded those with an iron to form a nice rounded leading edge. Not that much more work and it looks better too. You can see in one of the above pics the airfoil cross-section. I did that so I could make the cutout to slide the wing in.

Marty72

Elite member
I'm cutting out my 4th FT Spitfire of the year. I still have two flying but both are high in flight hours, 87 flights and 54 flights. Both have had wing repairs due to me flying inverted. Most of the time it's fine and I roll out but occasionally I get out of sorts and lose control, panic and go full up elevator (at speed) and damaged the spars creating a lot of dihedral. I was able to cut out the wings (sort of like the removal wing procedure), and stiffen up the spars using popsicle sticks on the top of the wing (hidden by the fuse) and get them back to the proper dihedral. Yesterday, I crashed the low hours Spitfire (43 flights, didn't have the repair done) when doing inverted stuff (see above) and broke the wing off in flight, the plane came down from a great height, in the most spectacular manner and augured into a field near a densely treed area (out of my line of sight). I was thrilled to actually, find and recover the components. I had to hunt for the battery. Here it is.

IMG_2793.JPG

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm cutting out my 4th FT Spitfire of the year. I still have two flying but both are high in flight hours, 87 flights and 54 flights. Both have had wing repairs due to me flying inverted. Most of the time it's fine and I roll out but occasionally I get out of sorts and lose control, panic and go full up elevator (at speed) and damaged the spars creating a lot of dihedral. I was able to cut out the wings (sort of like the removal wing procedure), and stiffen up the spars using popsicle sticks on the top of the wing (hidden by the fuse) and get them back to the proper dihedral. Yesterday, I crashed the low hours Spitfire (43 flights, didn't have the repair done) when doing inverted stuff (see above) and broke the wing off in flight, the plane came down from a great height, in the most spectacular manner and augured into a field near a densely treed area (out of my line of sight). I was thrilled to actually, find and recover the components. I had to hunt for the battery. Here it is.

View attachment 181500
Long time no hear Marty! That's really too bad about the Spitfire crash - that sucks. I must say the Spitfire is super solid when flying inverted - more so than say the Mustang (at least in my tests).

danskis

Master member
Yep - bbq skewers are now mandatory on mine. After flying it a while I'm not convinced the speed wing added much speed. So after flying the MS Spit for a while do you still like it better than the speed build?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

View attachment 181500 [/QUOTE/]
Cutting out your fourth one now huh, you must really like the Spit? Look at that proud Rimfire sitting there, bet that survived the hole digging. Hey man have you thought of trying a twin yet?

Marty72

Elite member
No new builds, just be flying what I have. Winter is coming, so I'll be doing more builds then.

I have no problem at all with the crash, nothing to be sorry about.

The Master Spit is an awesome plane, my favorite by far. With enough power, it flies great. I had two issue, not enough motor and then the 3s batteries I was using had been cycled a lot and had lost their punch, but it happened so slowly that I never knew it. The only issue I have with the MS Spit is the aileron servos and horns stick out like the balls on a moose and get racked constantly, a source of repeated repair.

What brought me here today is an unbelievable story. I had my P 40 stolen today, out of my truck, with me flying a spit only 200 feet away. Read about it in the Swappable forum. Losing planes is part of the game, losing it like this is simply hard to believe.

Marty72

Elite member
Cutting out your fourth one now huh, you must really like the Spit? Look at that proud Rimfire sitting there, bet that survived the hole digging. Hey man have you thought of trying a twin yet?
The Spit is awesome both MS and Ft. Flies fast, glides forever, and it's hard to beat. I'm also building my 4th Scout. It's to fun plane to fly slow as I can and work on take offs and landings. I have flown the crap out of the 3rd one and it's getting pretty worn, so time for a new one. However, since I've lost 2 planes in two days, I working on replaces them first.

whackflyer

Master member
No new builds, just be flying what I have. Winter is coming, so I'll be doing more builds then.

I have no problem at all with the crash, nothing to be sorry about.

The Master Spit is an awesome plane, my favorite by far. With enough power, it flies great. I had two issue, not enough motor and then the 3s batteries I was using had been cycled a lot and had lost their punch, but it happened so slowly that I never knew it. The only issue I have with the MS Spit is the aileron servos and horns stick out like the balls on a moose and get racked constantly, a source of repeated repair.

What brought me here today is an unbelievable story. I had my P 40 stolen today, out of my truck, with me flying a spit only 200 feet away. Read about it in the Swappable forum. Losing planes is part of the game, losing it like this is simply hard to believe.
What!!!! That's not acceptable to have a plane stolen! I feel for you man.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The Spit is awesome both MS and Ft. Flies fast, glides forever, and it's hard to beat. I'm also building my 4th Scout. It's to fun plane to fly slow as I can and work on take offs and landings. I have flown the crap out of the 3rd one and it's getting pretty worn, so time for a new one. However, since I've lost 2 planes in two days, I working on replaces them first.
That is a crying shame someone would steal your plane man, must have needed it more then you. Like any loss it hurts to know the components are gone, the plane i couldn't give two :poop:'s about. But never experienced a five finger discount was a problem.

Another Scout as well, did you see the maiden of my Sport Scout yet? Built it as a 3D sport plane with a 3 layer symmetrical KFm wing. Flown it a few times now and I am getting it dialed in. Gonna change out the prop though, I keep snapping off firewalls. Flies awesome though, even using flaperons for landings.

I am also working on my second Seaduck now, fourth twin all together. The first duck was on the old receiver and radio so it crashed out early, I was able to fix it a couple times but there was no fixing the last battle with terra firma. My last twin has over 80 flights on it and will still rock like day 1, but its an open concept combat style so all the electronics are exposed to the elements. Not good for winter flying, so I am transferring parts over. half built as of a half hour ago.

Anything in the plans that you haven't built before