'SPIT' roasted FB

Marty72

Elite member
That is a crying shame someone would steal your plane man, must have needed it more then you. Like any loss it hurts to know the components are gone, the plane i couldn't give two :poop:'s about. But never experienced a five finger discount was a problem.

Another Scout as well, did you see the maiden of my Sport Scout yet? Built it as a 3D sport plane with a 3 layer symmetrical KFm wing. Flown it a few times now and I am getting it dialed in. Gonna change out the prop though, I keep snapping off firewalls. Flies awesome though, even using flaperons for landings.

I am also working on my second Seaduck now, fourth twin all together. The first duck was on the old receiver and radio so it crashed out early, I was able to fix it a couple times but there was no fixing the last battle with terra firma. My last twin has over 80 flights on it and will still rock like day 1, but its an open concept combat style so all the electronics are exposed to the elements. Not good for winter flying, so I am transferring parts over. half built as of a half hour ago.

Anything in the plans that you haven't built before

I haven't seen your sports scout, I'll have to catch up on your videos.

Yeah, having it stolen just feels bad, it's the whole violation thing. Depending on the situation, it can hang on you for a few days. In this case it's not the amount, it's just more of a harsh correction in my thinking. I just will make some adjustments and be more careful with all my stuff in the near future (this tends to wear off). I think the worst case of this was having my house broken into, it's happened twice in my life, it's awful. Once about 25 years ago, and once about 10 years ago.

Seaduck...haha that just makes me laugh. I'll do some new builds this winter, as my options to do other things dwindle.

Marty72

Elite member
Replacement Spitfire built. I have a few details left, like the exhaust. I used all the components off of the crashed Spit (except for the prop).

I beefed up the spar a bit. I find the invasion strips helps a lot with orientation. Not as good as my hi vis Spitfire, but it helps enough to allow me to fly it in the traditional scheme. It is usually only a problem with overcast conditions.
IMG_2794.JPG
IMG_2795.JPG

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Replacement Spitfire built. I have a few details left, like the exhaust. I used all the components off of the crashed Spit (except for the prop).

I beefed up the spar a bit. I find the invasion strips helps a lot with orientation. Not as good as my hi vis Spitfire, but it helps enough to allow me to fly it in the traditional scheme. It is usually only a problem with overcast conditions. View attachment 181695 View attachment 181694
Your builds always turn out amazing!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

I beefed up the spar a bit. I find the invasion strips helps a lot with orientation. Not as good as my hi vis Spitfire, but it helps enough to allow me to fly it in the traditional scheme. It is usually only a problem with overcast conditions. View attachment 181695 View attachment 181694
That's an interesting battery compartment. How does that work? Do you Velcro your batteries and stick them under the pod?

Beautiful build as per usual

Marty72

Elite member
That's an interesting battery compartment. How does that work? Do you Velcro your batteries and stick them under the pod?

Beautiful build as per usual

Thanks. Yeah, it's serves two purposes. One is to strengthen the nose. Second is prevent the battery from falling out, while allowing access. Originally, I used a hatch but realized it wasn't necessary and it got damaged and looked crappy. The opening is just tight enough to keep the battery from easily falling out if it come lose (which happened on my first spit, on the maiden day).

Perhaps pictures will make this clear: ( I go heavy on the glue to prevent delamination as the nose takes all the abuse).

IMG_2797.JPG
IMG_2796.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks. Yeah, it's serves two purposes. One is to strengthen the nose. Second is prevent the battery from falling out, while allowing access. Originally, I used a hatch but realized it wasn't necessary and it got damaged and looked crappy. The opening is just tight enough to keep the battery from easily falling out if it come lose (which happened on my first spit, on the maiden day).

Perhaps pictures will make this clear: ( I go heavy on the glue to prevent delamination as the nose takes all the abuse).

View attachment 181702 View attachment 181701
Oh ok so you only Velcro the front of the battery not the whole thing. I have done both. I like the way the Velcro on the whole battery holds but its a PITA to get the battery off. This way the battery just sits in there and the Velcro holds it in place, keeps it from moving around in flight. Nice and simple. I likey.

Then the ESC is inside the pod i am guessing

OliverW

Legendary member

View attachment 181702 View attachment 181701
Ah so you fly goldbats as well. I think that they are absolutely amazing. I've drained them to 5% and not had them puff. Super high quality and dirt cheap

Marty72

Elite member
Oh ok so you only Velcro the front of the battery not the whole thing. I have done both. I like the way the Velcro on the whole battery holds but its a PITA to get the battery off. This way the battery just sits in there and the Velcro holds it in place, keeps it from moving around in flight. Nice and simple. I likey.

Then the ESC is inside the pod i am guessing
Yeah, exactly, it's a balance between securing the battery, and it not being a Pita to remove. I've done cosmetic damage to my planes just trying to get the damn battery out. In this case, the rear of the battery fits tight between the wing and the power pod. I do a lot of wedging of the battery in my planes, I'll add foam to do this if necessary.

Yep, the esc is inside the pod. I don't swap pods, they stay in until there is a hard land, a problem of some kind , or retiring the plane. I don't even use a pod anymore for the simple scout, I just bond the firewall in the plane.

Marty72

Elite member
Ah so you fly goldbats as well. I think that they are absolutely amazing. I've drained them to 5% and not had them puff. Super high quality and dirt cheap

I just got two of them (due to the price). I've only used them twice (last week). So you like them and have had good luck with them?
I was a bit disappointed, as they both arrived with 3.9 v per cell (as I understand it, not a proper storage charge) and when charged to 12.6 V, they stabilize to 12.3 after a few hours. That's the sort of thing I see with my old batteries. They seem to perform well, but I lose about a minute of flight time due to starting at 12.3 instead of 12.6. I'm not sure I'm going to order anymore. Perhaps it was just bad luck, since you've done well with them.

OliverW

Legendary member
I just got two of them (due to the price). I've only used them twice (last week). So you like them and have had good luck with them?
I was a bit disappointed, as they both arrived with 3.9 v per cell (as I understand it, not a proper storage charge) and when charged to 12.6 V, they stabilize to 12.3 after a few hours. That's the sort of thing I see with my old batteries. They seem to perform well, but I lose about a minute of flight time due to starting at 12.3 instead of 12.6. I'm not sure I'm going to order anymore. Perhaps it was just bad luck, since you've done well with them.
Thats weird that you're having that issue with them. Mine stay charged really well. I've used em for a year with no issues and have 10 of them

DazDaMan

Elite member

Nice! You need the black and white stripes on the underside of the fuselage, too, though.

Wildthing

Legendary member

That looks slick

Marty72

Elite member
Thanks Wildthing.

I tossed it up for a maiden this morning, went really well. Ran 3 batteries through it, got the thing trim out perfectly and the cg tuned in. This plane has zero visible aileron trim, which is a first for me. I was surprised that I still get a little nervous with maidens (which adds to the experience honestly). Always a good feeling to build a plane from scratch, check it all out and have a successful maiden.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks Wildthing.

I tossed it up for a maiden this morning, went really well. Ran 3 batteries through it, got the thing trim out perfectly and the cg tuned in. This plane has zero visible aileron trim, which is a first for me. I was surprised that I still get a little nervous with maidens (which adds to the experience honestly). Always a good feeling to build a plane from scratch, check it all out and have a successful maiden.
I agree that nervousness adds to the experience. I never get that anymore when flying proven builds, but whenever I design something I sure feel it! It makes the satisfaction exponentially better if it flies!