Tek Sumo and Bonsai

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yes. The rest of the wire is shielded. The last little bit that is not shielded is a specific length that is tuned for the 2.4 signal.
The same is true for the ar500.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I would say that any wing would not suitable for a first plane, especially a small wing. Wings tend to be pitchy or have a really fast roll rate. Flight characteristics are even more accentuated the smaller a plane gets.

JoeyG

Hey Guys,

Well my loving other half has said she'll get me a plane for christmas (bless her) so I'm gonna go with a Tek Sumo (almost bought the Bonsi a few weeks ago but upgraded the ST Blaze instead).

The HK international warehouse doesnt seem to have much choice in stock for ESCs and Motors, so currently the plan is to buy the wing from HK then source the electronics locally.

I need your help though, I intend to use my 3S 2200MAH Lipos with this wing so I'm looking for a similar set up the Josh's in the episode.

Thought I'd post some links to possible options for the motor and prop and see what the experts (you guys) think.

I will be back with links.

J.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
I would say that any wing would not suitable for a first plane, especially a small wing. Wings tend to be pitchy or have a really fast roll rate. Flight characteristics are even more accentuated the smaller a plane gets.

Thanks! Can you suggest a good trainer on HobbyKing (that is cheap and light for shipping, preferable less than 1KG). [If possible, APART from the Bixler which is over 1KG]

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Look back through the episodes- the joshes did a review on an EPP trainer. Can't remember the name of it at the moment.
I'm sure Colerex has it cross referenced on a 3x5 card if he has not yet committed it to memory ;)

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
The only I can tell you about this that most trainer don´t look nice nor elegant.

Whoever wants to start will have to go for something like a Bixler, Easystar, AXN Floater, Champ, Tuff Trainer etc. Everything else will be going too fast and you´ll get into stress situations you won´t be able to handle in air and finally crash.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The Tuff trainer? I am looking for something slightly more elegant than the tuff trainer

Yep, as Anas says, most trainers are "ugly" because they have to be lightweight, and they are designed to be stable and slowflying instead of being scale.

JoeyG

Tek Sumo ordered! yay...

I'd mentioned I'm looking for a similar set up to how the FT boys did it. The used a Tower Pro 2409/12 1600KV motor with a 30amp plush, 8x6 prop. I'm gonna source the electrontics locally, I'll take a drive over to HERE and get what I need. The guys there are very helpful, but i dont wanna turn up and ask them to pick the best parts. I'm fine with ESC, SERVOS and PROP but the 1600KV motor seems more elusive. I'm still learning and I find motors confusing..

I'm gonna use my 3S 2200MAH Lipos with the TekSumo so like Josh said.. "Go Big".

Not being able to buy the same Tower Pro motor means I gotta find some with equal specs right?

Any help picking out the right motor (UK) would be ace.

J.

bluegsxr6

I have a setup for Sumo with 1400 kv motor and it performs well. I also ran with a 1300 3cell but a 2200 seems to allow it to handle the wind a little better.

JoeyG

Thanks for the link, I've spotted this one at my local store what do you guys think?

132214.jpg
Rpm / V: 1450
Internal resistance: 140mohm
Idle Current: 0.6 A
Max A. 12A / 60S
Shaft Ø: 3.17 mm
Measurements: 27.5 x26mm
Output: 120Watt
NiMH: 6 ~ 8
LiPo Battery: 2 ~ 3
Propeller NiMH: 8,5 x5
Propeller LiPo: 2xLiPo 8x4, 5 / 3xLiPo 7x4
Model Weight: 200-500g
Weight: 36g

J.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Btw, the bixler aint that ugly of a trainer...the only thing that puts me off is the shipping weight and EMS charges to Kenya, i'll possibly be in India during december but bcos of Christmas, even if the shipping charge to india is less, the order might take LONGER to leave HK warehouse ?(cos of christmas) and I might end up leaving India be4 my order arrives