Tek Sumo and Bonsai

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
@Hamdan I know that it isn´t too ugly but that is mostly because the manufacturer desinged it like that for it not to look completely ugly and ending up with no one buying it even thought its the best trainer.

@JoeyG
It should be fine to go with for a motor but I was just wondering why the draw of amperage is so low on this. The rpms is fine. You might wan´t to go with a smaller prop which is steeper. Also you can try to add all your weights together. Wing + ESC+ ... and look in what reagion that would fall in and if it is between 200-350g that should be fine (I always like to have plenty of power left even if used rarely) It also really depends on what you getting this plane for.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Easy Star and the floater are very similar airplanes. Both suitable for newer flyers. For the price AXN Floater wins (over the EasyStar). AXN Floater is basically the same plane as the Bixler.

bluegsxr6

Thanks for the link, I've spotted this one at my local store what do you guys think?

View attachment 1806
Rpm / V: 1450
Internal resistance: 140mohm
Idle Current: 0.6 A
Max A. 12A / 60S
Shaft Ø: 3.17 mm
Measurements: 27.5 x26mm
Output: 120Watt
NiMH: 6 ~ 8
LiPo Battery: 2 ~ 3
Propeller NiMH: 8,5 x5
Propeller LiPo: 2xLiPo 8x4, 5 / 3xLiPo 7x4
Model Weight: 200-500g
Weight: 36g

J.

Im sure you can get the motor to work but looks a little on the light side. this motor is about 20 grams lighter that what you originally wanted. May have to go with lighter battery that 2200 or get creative with battery placement.

JoeyG

Thanks for the input guys, I want to use the 2200MAH Lipos I already have, so I'll look for a different motor. The TowerPro Josh used it 63g so I guess thats my guide weight, they mentioned the 2200mah with that motor had perfect balance. I've been looking through the Overlander site, what do you guys think to THESE?

... if not that model, I'm sure overlander must do one?

J.

Attachments

• MOT0280SCPRS10_1.jpg
    MOT0280SCPRS10_1.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 132

JoeyG

Looking at others in there RANGE I'm thinking one of them should provide me with unlimited vertical and great top end speed. Which would you pick?

This one weights in a 76g, 13g over the TowerPro is THIS simply too big?

1_Tornado_Thumpe_4b2e70d2b66a4_1.jpg

SKU: 1408
Length: 51mm
Width: 27.8mm
Depth: 38mm
ESC: 20a
Prop: From 10"
Wattage: 290
KV: 1001 - 2000
Weight: 76g
Diameter: 28mm

It says KV 1001-2000, I'm still learning, but does that KV number scale depending on the ESC/LIPO used?

Thanks for all your help guys, looking forward to building this one..

J.

Last edited:

ananas1301

Yes it does. If you have a 2S Lipo with a 1000kv motor that will give you about 8000 rpms for your prop. With a full battery. In fact lets rather say 7400 rpms as the voltage drops a little. The draw in amperage will stay fairly low in comparison to the following set up.

Same motor 1000kv but with 3S will give 11100 rpms (11,1V for a 3S) but that will draw more amps.

Anyway, there is a very nice programm that allows you to calculate how much thrust you´ll get with which setup and how many amps it will need.
It called
Drivecalc. Google --> Download --> Calculate and choose what you need for your needs :D

JoeyG

Yes it does. If you have a 2S Lipo with a 1000kv motor that will give you about 8000 rpms for your prop. With a full battery. In fact lets rather say 7400 rpms as the voltage drops a little. The draw in amperage will stay fairly low in comparison to the following set up.

Same motor 1000kv but with 3S will give 11100 rpms (11,1V for a 3S) but that will draw more amps.

Anyway, there is a very nice programm that allows you to calculate how much thrust you´ll get with which setup and how many amps it will need.
It called
Drivecalc. Google --> Download --> Calculate and choose what you need for your needs :D

Thanks for that, I've download DriveCalc, I shall have a play with it.

Thanks again.

J.

JoeyG

Right then, I'm closer to a power setup now..

Robot Birds stocks Tower Pro motors so I've been able to find the Tower Pro 2409-12t same as the one used in the episode.

409905.jpg
Dimension: 30.6*47mm
Weight: 63g
Voltage: 10V
Idle Current:1.9A
Battery:2-3 Lipo
KV:1600 RPM/V
Shaft Diameter: 3.0MM
Max Efficency Current: 23A
Max Efficency: 66%
Max RPM r/min:10600 RPM/min
Max loaded current (A/60s): 25/60s
Max Power W/60s:200/60s
Suggest Propoller size:8*3.8apc/8*6

Pair that with a decent enough 30amp ESC and pick up a couple 8x6 props and I'm set... :applause:

That is until I saw the great range of motors these guys sell....

Now manufacturers likes Hyperion, Scorpion, Kontronik don't mean anything to me but like every market someone must offer premium products.

If I wanted to buy a better motor then the Tower Pro 2409-12t what would you guys go for?

I'm considering using a folding prop too (like the team black sheep guys) If I can find a great motor HERE that will offer me great flight times with a 2200MaH, Unlimited vertical and handle the extra weight from the occasional use of a GoPro then I'll pull the trigger on a first rate power set up.

If you were in my shoes, how would you power a Tek Sumo for that extra performance?

J.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Scorpion, Hacker, Cobra- All reported to be very good motors- You do pay a premium, but also get a quality motor.
I have done well with the Turnigy gold motors. My main type of flying is combat, so I am hesitant to put a high dollar motor into a plane that I smash around and fly into things on purpose.

I've also had really good results with HobbyPartz new Rocket Series motors. I abuse these motors as part of my normal flying and way over propped one (enough to blow through 3 ESCs) the motor itself is still fine.

This motor is used by one of the FPV guys I keep in touch with over on RC Groups. PM ROCKY2 if you want more details on his setup.
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-2029/Cobra-C-dsh-2217-fdsh-12-Brushless-Motor/Detail

JoeyG

Thanks JetPackNinja, that's exactly the type of response i was looking for.. I'm now searching for that exact motor. See if it's available in the UK, I do remember seeing Cobra motors somewhere this side of the pond.

JoeyG

Rocky2 has been a huge help, thanks for that. I've decided to buy the Cobra C-2217/12 and use it with a 7x5 prop (as Rocky2 suggested). I've only been able to find those Cobra motors solely from the link you provided. As it'll be coming from the US I've chosen to buy the TowerPro 2208/12 with a 8x6 prop to keep me going until the Cobra arrives.

J.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I have never dealt with RC Dudes but I suspect that they must do alright.
I'm glad Rocky was helpful. Check out his youtube channel sometime.
He's got some pretty cool stuff on there :)
His youTube username is rockyFLYR

JoeyG

7234.jpg

I understand the Teksumo uses a pusher prop, but is there any reason why I cant use a folding prop like this one and mount it in the opposite orientation?

J.

ananas1301

Yes that is possible.

Just mount them the right way and you should be fine.

Also you will just have to keep in mind that you look a little closer at the "folding" mechasnism. It should be possible for the prop to fold in both directions.