Tek Sumo and Bonsai

marzvt

View attachment 1905

I understand the Teksumo uses a pusher prop, but is there any reason why I cant use a folding prop like this one and mount it in the opposite orientation?

J.

You can but you have to do modifications to make it work. Trappy talks about this when he says he adds "blocks".
Remember, you are mounting these props backwards on the motor. They are designed so their spinner acts to block the prop from over extending under torque. since you are mounting it backwards on the motor, you can't use the spinner so you need to fabricate something that does the same thing. I am doing this to a prop right now because I'm sick of breaking motor mounts. I will post it when I am done.

marzvt

I Made this mod last night. This is what you need to do to make these folding propellers viable on a wing.
IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0202.JPG

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
What is it you've done there then chap?

J.

It looks as though he has filled-in the gap of the mount with some type of clear epoxy, to provide a stop for the blades.
That would prevent them from folding forward under load.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Awesome- I wonder how well it will hold up, or if the epoxy will begin to crumble after a few runs...

JoeyG

It looks as though he has filled-in the gap of the mount with some type of clear epoxy, to provide a stop for the blades.

I see it now, would say a 8x5 folding prop behave the same as a regular APC 8x5 prop?

J.

marzvt

Here I explain what I did and yes its epoxy.
Don't use 1 minute or even 15 minute epoxy, use 15 minute and up then let it set till it is completely cured. I used 15 minute and it is tough as nails.
http://flitetest.com/forum/showthre...2.0-High-speed-mountain-flyer&p=9815#post9815

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Fantastic thread guys and also fantastic video by flitetest!! We just flew Thomas' Tek Sumo and it all went perfectly!! Thank You :)

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I'd like to see some pics of your build if you have them posted anywhere.

Will post some detailed pic or possibly a video etc outlining exactly what we did with our build and why soon. Uploading a video to youtube at the moment which shows what it looks like etc.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Will post a more detail video of the our Tek Sumo, but this is the Maiden Flight. Thomas got to fly it in the evening without any issues at all. Will post that video once i upload it to youtube. For what its worth it's a fantastic model and flies very like its on rails.

JoeyG

Great video! Well done to you and your Pops, Makes me want to fix mine all that much sooner, wish we can your weather! very lucky.

J.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Great video! Well done to you and your Pops, Makes me want to fix mine all that much sooner, wish we can your weather! very lucky.

J.

JoeyG, the weather here has been insane lately. The day we flew the Tek Sumo it was calm in the morning. When we got home I started charging all the batteries and withing 5 minutes there was a full blown storm. Then by 7pm the wind just calmed down and we got to fly it again this time with Thomas at the controls. Uploading the video now.

Off to the coast now . . . hopefully I get some good GoPro footage :)

This is the video of my Son flying it in the afternoon

Last edited:

CanDib

Because of the review on Flitetest, I picked up the Bonsai, and tricked it out with LED's like Josh's Swift. Last night was my first night flight. It was a blast! The Bonsai was built out almost exactly like they did on FliteTest, and while no speed demon, it is the perfect build out for a night fighter.

One improvement over Josh's LED layout...I ran RED LED's down the left wing and Green down the right (international colors for port/starboard) with Blue on the underside leading edge. It just makes identifying left/right easier.

Thanks guys...you can honestly tell Hobbyking you're improving their sales, because I wouldn't have bought the Bonsai without your review.

JoeyG

Because of the review on Flitetest, I picked up the Bonsai, and tricked it out with LED's like Josh's Swift. Last night was my first night flight. It was a blast! The Bonsai was built out almost exactly like they did on FliteTest, and while no speed demon, it is the perfect build out for a night fighter.

One improvement over Josh's LED layout...I ran RED LED's down the left wing and Green down the right (international colors for port/starboard) with Blue on the underside leading edge. It just makes identifying left/right easier.

Thanks guys...you can honestly tell Hobbyking you're improving their sales, because I wouldn't have bought the Bonsai without your review.

It would be great to see some photos of your night flyer Bonsai? I'd like one to leave in the boot of the car..

J.