The Eagle has landed, or is it flying?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Here is a scratchbuilt American Bald Eagle slow flyer. This design is super easy to build and uses a KFM3 wing. I am using a hextronik 1200 kv blue wonder and a APC 8x3.8 SF prop and a 1300 3s battery and uses a standard FT power pod. AUW is 570 grams. I am flying this as a RET altough ailerons could be used but this plane responds superb with just rudder and elevator. Perfect for lazy flying and looks great in the air.

jamboree1

Thanks for posting this here. I've seen one like this flying at Flite Fest last year and thought it was pretty cool. I'd like to rework the plans for DTFB, add the FT power pod, maybe add some A or B folds for the fuse, servo locations, etc. Do you know who did the original design? I'd like to get permission to reformat the plans so that I can share them with everyone else. Thanks.

LooseBruce

jamboree1

Thanks for posting this here. I've seen one like this flying at Flite Fest last year and thought it was pretty cool. I'd like to rework the plans for DTFB, add the FT power pod, maybe add some A or B folds for the fuse, servo locations, etc. Do you know who did the original design? I'd like to get permission to reformat the plans so that I can share them with everyone else. Thanks.

That would be great Sponz!
When I was gluing the fuse together I was wishing for some FT type folds.
I would be interested in a way to make the wings separate and detach for transport.
I really like how Stone Blue Airlines uses a tube and an arrow shaft that stays in the wing but it is used in a flat wing situation. The dihedral makes it quite a bit more complicated (twice also).
Jamboree has a good method with the Popsicle sticks but I would like to entertain other solutions.
Thanks everyone for your contributions with this plane.
LooseBruce

jamboree1

Ok Sponz, here ya go, hope you read and speak german, lol anyways http://www.rc-pilot.at/hp/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=76 Its 5 years old and in another country, so I wouldn't worry much about permission. Incidentally a standard FT power pod fits right in snug as a bug in front. I used a piece of foam board in the back of the pod as support, and right behind the pod is where i put my servos. Those plans are for a v-tail, I really aren't fond of v-tail as main form of controls and i didn't want ailerons with this wide wing design so i just laid the 3 pieces flat as T tail. When it came time to layer the wings together I used a craft foam glue as opposed to hot glue for weight savings and a bit more time to align the pieces. This plane deffinitely needs your touch to the plans for ease of build, especially the fuselage folds.

jamboree1

This plane is becoming quite popular at my local flying field, 2 people want me to build them one after flying mine but one is balking at the $75 price tag I put on it RTF, By RTF i mean just bind it to his radio and go.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Ok Sponz, here ya go, hope you read and speak german, lol anyways http://www.rc-pilot.at/hp/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=76 Its 5 years old and in another country, so I wouldn't worry much about permission. Incidentally a standard FT power pod fits right in snug as a bug in front. I used a piece of foam board in the back of the pod as support, and right behind the pod is where i put my servos. Those plans are for a v-tail, I really aren't fond of v-tail as main form of controls and i didn't want ailerons with this wide wing design so i just laid the 3 pieces flat as T tail. When it came time to layer the wings together I used a craft foam glue as opposed to hot glue for weight savings and a bit more time to align the pieces. This plane deffinitely needs your touch to the plans for ease of build, especially the fuselage folds.

Thank you.

LooseBruce

Detachable Wing for Eagle

Hi Flyers,
I was thinking more about detaching the Eagle wing and separating it. I had mentioned Stone Blue Airlines but that was the wrong reference. It was actually Experimental Airlines. Here is a clip showing the system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS_4gQ_kHOQ

The part showing the detachment system starts at 1 minute in.
Today I was thinking that I could use this system if there was no dihedral. Perhaps if I use ailerons I could use a flat wing.There is also wing tips folding in this video using magnets.

BTW, I was flying my UMX Radian out of my backyard yesterday and an American Bald Eagle (real) came relativly closer investigating it. I noticed that when it was gliding it's wings were really flat, unlike the turkey buzzards also in our area.

What do you folks think about making the wing flat this way and using ailerons? Why did you not want to use ailerons Jamboree???

Thanks folks, I have to make a decision pretty soon as my wife is soon starting on the bottom of the wings with the feathers,
LooseBruce

jamboree1

The dihederal in the wing tips will most likely keep the flight level on it's own. I did not use ailerons because I don't believe they would be much of a use with this wing design other than bank turns. Also with this being a solid wing it would make it harder to mount and run wires as opposed to an open wing, so much of this is due to ease of build. With the way you want to build your wings as detachable I say go ahead and leave the dihederal out where they join, try it with just the wing tip dihederal and see how she handles as it would be an easy thing to add dihederal later.

LooseBruce

The dihederal in the wing tips will most likely keep the flight level on it's own. I did not use ailerons because I don't believe they would be much of a use with this wing design other than bank turns. Also with this being a solid wing it would make it harder to mount and run wires as opposed to an open wing, so much of this is due to ease of build. With the way you want to build your wings as detachable I say go ahead and leave the dihederal out where they join, try it with just the wing tip dihederal and see how she handles as it would be an easy thing to add dihederal later.

Thanks Jamboree, I will try exactly that.
BTW, Did you make the curve that was in the plans for the wingtips or did you just bend them straight???
I seems like it might be difficult to bend the foamboard on that curve,
LooseBruce

jamboree1

Thanks Jamboree, I will try exactly that.
BTW, Did you make the curve that was in the plans for the wingtips or did you just bend them straight???
I seems like it might be difficult to bend the foamboard on that curve,
LooseBruce

Yes I did. If i recall correctly I first ran my knife thru it 50%, then i ran a BBQ skewer across that line 2-3 times, put glue in the joint and set the wing on the table and bent the tip up 2" to set the dihederal.

LooseBruce

Now that i think of it, if you plan to use ailerons you won't really need dihederal at all
Actually Jam ((hope you don't mind me calling you Jam) I think I will try it with the wing tips bent up first. If that doesn't do it I will recalibrate my thinking.
LooseBruce

PS Thanks for your help

LooseBruce

Eagle question???

Hi Eagle Flyers,

My wing is coming along nicely. Glue is curing now. I have put a carbon tube in the spar slot which fits tightly but can be pulled out.I have decided to hinge the wing so it can fold and then slide in the carbon tube to hold it in the extended position.

My question is about the wing tips. I have been thinking about making a straight cut from the leading edge to the trailing edge and hinging the wing tip also.This would be a line from where the curve starts and ends on yours but a straight line. It is much easier to do this than hinge the curve like on the original.I have made many practice cuts trying to hinge the curve but I don't like the results. I believe the straight hinge will not look as good but may be all right.

My question is this. Does anyone know if introducing the dihedral on an angle as opposed to 90 degrees from the leading edge will cause some kind of flight problem?? I don't recall ever seeing this on another plane.
Thanks,
LooseBruce

LooseBruce

Hi Flyers, I know I am posting a little too much but there's no stopping me now :)

I have decided to make the wing foldable instead of 2 separate sections. I still have the carbon tube inserted when it is unfolded.
You are looking at the top of the wing in its folded position.

birdhinge0001.jpg

Here you can see how it folds.Notice the carbon tube partially inserted.

birdhinge0002.jpg

Here is the bottom of the wing. The carbon tube is fully inserted. This makes the wing very rigid.

birdhinge0003.jpg

I still am considering how to do the wingtips.
While looking at this I came up with a new way to construct this wing. At this point I am not going to change direction but I think it is feasible.

If I had offset the spar slots so they did NOT meet perhaps I could have unfolded it ALMOST all the way so there was some dihedral. Then 2 spars then could have passed each other and been fastened to each other under the wing inside of the fuselage. They could have been long enough to bottom out inside the fuselage for more support (or even passed through it to fasten down the wing.

Thanks for posting this bird. I am really enjoying figuring out what to do with it.
The flight thing would be real good also!!
LooseBruce

LooseBruce

Maybe you designer/modifiers out there like Sponz will use this idea.

While looking at this I came up with a new way to construct this wing. At this point I am not going to change direction but I think it is feasible.

If I had offset the spar slots so they did NOT meet perhaps I could have unfolded it ALMOST all the way so there was some dihedral. Then 2 spars then could have passed each other and been fastened to each other under the wing inside of the fuselage. They could have been long enough to bottom out inside the fuselage for more support (or even passed through it to fasten down the wing.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about.I have used smaller BBQ skewers where the carbon tubes would cross. The dihedral is greatly exaggerated but I did not want to cut this wing at all.Also it is upsaide down because the hinge is on the wrong side for this application so this pic is worth maybe....800 words tops. Gee now that I look at it the carbon tubes could be glued in place and the wing would still fold up. Their ends could set right down into the bird's body.

LooseBruce

birdhinge0001_1.jpg

jamboree1

LooseBruce, the bird sure is looking good, as far as the wing design goes it will be a trial and error deal. get it flying on original design then build another wing to see how it goes. Also note it doesn't appear you sanded the leading edge of the wing at about a 45 degree angle, check my pics for reference

degriz

I did not have any problem with the wing tips on mine, just ran the skewer over the curved cut until the flexed up enough for the proper angle. I filled the gap with hot glue and let it set.

I used a sealing iron to round the leading edge on my bird, helps the looks.

Might have to try the folding wing in the future, mine is pretty beat up from transporting it.

LooseBruce

LooseBruce, the bird sure is looking good, as far as the wing design goes it will be a trial and error deal. get it flying on original design then build another wing to see how it goes. Also note it doesn't appear you sanded the leading edge of the wing at about a 45 degree angle, check my pics for reference
Thanks Jamboree, I intend to sand the leading edge though I have been putting it off. I think with all the time my wife put into coloring I'd better build only one :)
KLooseBruce

LooseBruce

I did not have any problem with the wing tips on mine, just ran the skewer over the curved cut until the flexed up enough for the proper angle. I filled the gap with hot glue and let it set.

I used a sealing iron to round the leading edge on my bird, helps the looks.

Might have to try the folding wing in the future, mine is pretty beat up from transporting it.
Thanks for your input.I have limited traveling storage and would like to protect this big bird.It is a protected species! I folded on the bottom so the hinge would go the entire width. If I permanently fold up the wingtips the finished folded wing will be thicker than I want. I am still thinking about it though. Your thoughts are helping me.While writing you I had the idea of thickening to 3 layers of foam the wing above the fuse. Then I could hinge the top and possibly build in the dihedral.
Thanks,
LooseBruce