The Eagle has landed, or is it flying?

LooseBruce

LooseBruce, the bird sure is looking good, as far as the wing design goes it will be a trial and error deal. get it flying on original design then build another wing to see how it goes. Also note it doesn't appear you sanded the leading edge of the wing at about a 45 degree angle, check my pics for reference
I Jam, I take advice but it takes me long time. I changed the way I hinged the wing and THEN I followed your advice. I've glued the wing back together and WILL get it flying first. There are enough variables to go wrong, enough mistakes to make without adding this complexity.
Thanks for your help,
LooseBruce:black_eyed:

jamboree1

Now you got me thinking of building a 50% Eagle... hmmm, should be easy to do without reformatting parts of the plans as this design doesnt have specific tabs or slots and current powerpod might or might not fit.. hmmmmm

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Now you got me thinking of building a 50% Eagle... hmmm, should be easy to do without reformatting parts of the plans as this design doesnt have specific tabs or slots and current powerpod might or might not fit.. hmmmmm

Are you thinking that the 50% will fly of the mini setup?

I have the Eagle plans about 80% done already. Trying to figure out how to incorporate some FT style A/B folds in a couple of places to make the build a little easier (not that it's all that hard to begin with). I think scaling the plans will be fairly easy. If you want to try making one, I can get you 50% plans really quickly if your willing to test the theory?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Question regarding the plans. Is the wooden/carbon wing spar even needed with foam board? I would guess with the laminating of the 3 layers, and leaving the paper on the outside, you wouldn't need it? I could see needing it for Depron and FFF, but not with foam board. How are you guys building it?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Plans are coming along...

FB Eagle 56.jpg

degriz

Question regarding the plans. Is the wooden/carbon wing spar even needed with foam board? I would guess with the laminating of the 3 layers, and leaving the paper on the outside, you wouldn't need it? I could see needing it for Depron and FFF, but not with foam board. How are you guys building it?

No spar is needed with the foam board

LooseBruce

Hi Sponz, I was including the spar as a structural device to help with folding the wing but am postponing the folding wing until I get this bird flying.. However I did remove paper on the layers that glue together on the wing.. I used gorilla glue for that and my experiments have shown that gorilla glue is best when used foam to foam as opposed to on any layer that has paper.. I had also tried using some spray adhesive (Elmer's Craft bond) and was not pleased with the results.

LooseBruce

jamboree1

Even at 50% it will still be 27" wingspan and weight won't go down much so i don't think the mini powerpod would work but a blue wonder with a 2s certainly would. Also, I did not use a spar on my wings, it is deffinitely not needed. I used a craft foam rubber glue from dollar tree to put the layers together, as same as i did the body and wingtips, I did use hotglue to join the wing halves together though.

jamboree1

I'd also like to note that those that want to build v-tail had best include ailerons, those going T tail won't have to. And to those that try to go inverted, it works, for a bit, don't even need to touch the elevator once there but the dihederal will make it roll back over eventually.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Even at 50% it will still be 27" wingspan and weight won't go down much so i don't think the mini powerpod would work but a blue wonder with a 2s certainly would. Also, I did not use a spar on my wings, it is deffinitely not needed. I used a craft foam rubber glue from dollar tree to put the layers together, as same as i did the body and wingtips, I did use hotglue to join the wing halves together though.

So, are you saying you want a non-swappable 50% version then? If the standard size FT pod fits the 'big bird' (yeah I just typed that), then it sure isn't going to fit in a 50% version.

jamboree1

Sponz, not at the moment and i doubt anyone else would but thanks for the offer. The new plans you made are going to make it a lot easier for someone not so familiar with scartchbuilding and tha A-B fold fuse will be stronger for sure.

Last edited:

LooseBruce

Jamboree, This is what your Eagle has spawned!

Thanks Jam for the plans. This was a lot of fun to build and fly.

Eagle0001.jpg

Eagle0002.jpg

Here is an extremely short video of the maiden (didn't take long). Like a bird on a wire it drops dead!

Finally here is the real thing. I have a Lemon stabilizer Rx in it but the stabilizer function was not used or needed. I cut this down to about 3 minutes but the flight was longer. Good landing but scared the camera operator so we missed the end of it. Very smooth, very stable. A real floater!!

Thanks Jamboree for sharing this plan. And thanks to all who helped answer questions.
LooseBruce

These 2 pics at the bottom aren't mine but I can't get them out. Look about the same though don't they?

Attachments

• eagle 025.jpg
    eagle 025.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 247
  • eagle 026.jpg
    eagle 026.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

jamboree1

yayyyy!!! looks like my bird has a twin. isn't this plane awsome to watch in the sky and easiest thing you ever flown?

LooseBruce

yayyyy!!! looks like my bird has a twin. isn't this plane awsome to watch in the sky and easiest thing you ever flown?
I agree, it just loafs along, even the loop is slow and easy. I am surprised how slow it flies and I like it!
I will have to try some wind soon. So far I don't want to risk it. Enjoy these moments you know.
LooseBruce

jamboree1

Pancho, i think i remember you, you had parts stolen from your mailbox about the same time i was building an AM/PM by your house. I swear it wasn't me :p

jamboree1

pancho, you might also want to wait a little bit before building, Sponz is working on improved plans for this.

Pancho

pancho, you might also want to wait a little bit before building, Sponz is working on improved plans for this.

Yes...stuff stolen from my mailbox was me. I ended up calling the postmaster inspector general. It was a pretty big problem all over the place. I invested in a decent mail box that takes more than a screw driver to break into(more like a torch). I haven't had an issue since, but my neighbors have had stuff stolen since. There are marks on mine from someone trying.

I just pulled this up as I'd like to start to build it soon. I need tiled plans as well. I had PM'd Nerdnic to see if he could help with converting them to tiled. I've got a couple other planes in process, and been flying the heck out of my FT-22. I've got a new FT-22 in process. So many planes, so little time!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
You can auto make tiled planes in Adobe Reader:

dur7HhA.png

1. Open the PDF you want to print using Adobe Reader X.
2. Click the Print icon.
3. In the Print dialog box, click Poster.
4. Set Tile Scale to 100%.
5. Set Overlap to 0.005in.
6. Click Print.