The Flite Test Master Series F-16 Viper, is released!

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I’m on the last steps of the build, top of the tail and the EDF exhaust. I have no idea what this part is though. It’s got no markings aside from center ticks. Anyone know where is goes? I thought it might be related to the BDF since I didn’t do that option, but I didn’t see it in the build doc.
View attachment 216384
I can‘t find that part on my finished F-16. It’s probably part of the BDF option.

mcmoyer

When the sheets says the CG is 1 To 1.5“ from the leading edge, where does the leading edge start?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
When the sheets says the CG is 1 To 1.5“ from the leading edge, where does the leading edge start?
Not the fairing, just the wing itself. Imagine where the wing root would be if the leading edge was a straight line to the fuselage. 1-1.5“ aft that.

mcmoyer

Ok, I cross referenced with the Eflite 70mm F-16 manual and here’s where I’m thinking the CG is supposed to be. Unfortunately, this is my heaviest 4S pack I have. It’s going to be near impossible to get the battery all the way up there without modifying the canopy to be removable.

E2B00230-94A6-4A96-848B-94850671806A.jpeg

CappyAmeric

Elite member
That is where mine balances. I have a 3000 mAh 6s, where you have your battery. Honestly, with a 70mm 6s, the acceptable CG range seems pretty large. Tons of power and massive elevators with that big wing surface area help.

mcmoyer

So, just for grins, I ran this through the CG calculator at http://fwcg.3dzone.dk and it came up to be quite a bit further back. i also verified the Eflite measurements from my wrecked 64mm F-16 and it was spot on what was in the manual. Anyway, where the blue tape is shows where the calculator shows it should be.
image.jpg

mcmoyer

I had my scale out to measure the weight of some upgraded landing gear on my Arrows Marlin. Just for grins, I decided to see the difference in weight between the Marlin and my FT F-16. If I have the stock landing gear on the Marlin, it's 20g lighter than the F-16. If I have the upgraded landing gear on it, it's 12g heavier. That's pretty amazing considering the size difference. Both are equipped with 64mm EDF units.

tempImageKqc6Vo.png

Marlin without and landing gear
tempImagePMjjo7.png

FT F-16 -- also no landing gear :)
tempImage1aqwv2.png

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I had my scale out to measure the weight of some upgraded landing gear on my Arrows Marlin. Just for grins, I decided to see the difference in weight between the Marlin and my FT F-16. If I have the stock landing gear on the Marlin, it's 20g lighter than the F-16. If I have the upgraded landing gear on it, it's 12g heavier. That's pretty amazing considering the size difference. Both are equipped with 64mm EDF units.

View attachment 217893

Marlin without and landing gear
View attachment 217891

FT F-16 -- also no landing gear :)
View attachment 217892
No wonder the F-16 floats when you try to land...

mcmoyer

anyone have any tips on how to make a 90% size version of this model? I think a 90% size would be a lot better on my 4S 64mm fan. I haven't ventured to 6S/70mm land yet and I'm afraid of the chunk of change I would start shelling out for those batteries.

I was toying around with the idea of using a pantograph to trace the originals, but not sure how well that would work.

EDIT: Just thought about how cool a pantograph machine with a foam cutter on one end would be

mcmoyer

I had 2 and a half awesome flights today. The winds were exceptionally light so I was having fun with trying high alpha, some amazing tightly loops and low fast passes. Then on the end of one my low fast passes, just as I was turning, one of my elevator control horns loosened. I'm using the plastic push through ones and unfortunately not gluing them in place. Well, it went down pretty much nose first. I love that I've discovered foam board planes though because it's so easy to just shrug off a crash like this. I'm torn now because I think I could rebuild the front since everything behind the F4 former is basically intact. On the other hand, I think I've figured out a way to shrink the parts down so building a 90% version with the 64mm EDF in it would be convenient right now.

My plan to not use the kit foam worked out well here at least. :)

34E432B9-F25E-4ADF-8446-5D3BDCABA0E5_1_102_o.jpeg

Golfkicker8

Just bought the Viper and have really enjoyed the build so far. Can someone tell me how long of an extension I need to make for the esc motor wires? Where exactly does the esc sit in the plane? Thanks

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Just bought the Viper and have really enjoyed the build so far. Can someone tell me how long of an extension I need to make for the esc motor wires? Where exactly does the esc sit in the plane? Thanks
I put my ESC toward the front, just next to the rudder servo. That way it can be accessed from the battery hatch and doesn’t run the risk of getting sucked into the EDF.

mcmoyer

My 90% build is complete. I used Ross foam board for flat things like the lower wing skin, former, etc. Adams for any curved surfaces. 815g with everything but the battery. Put metal gear servos on the elevators this time.

tempImageTVwSh9.png
My favorite tweak is the removable nose for easier battery access

tempImageENIz7k.png

I did a bone headed maneuver though and forgot to reverse one of the elevator servos. On the plus side, I could pull a wicked corkscrew right now. :)

CappyAmeric

Elite member
My 90% build is complete. I used Ross foam board for flat things like the lower wing skin, former, etc. Adams for any curved surfaces. 815g with everything but the battery. Put metal gear servos on the elevators this time.

View attachment 221957
My favorite tweak is the removable nose for easier battery access

View attachment 221958

I did a bone headed maneuver though and forgot to reverse one of the elevator servos. On the plus side, I could pull a wicked corkscrew right now. :)
Great idea on the removable nose. It also makes it easily replaceable after a crash :LOL:

mcmoyer

I finally got a break in the gusting spring winds to do a maiden of my 90% build. It's still really "floaty" and not very fast. It's a lot slower than my Marlin I had out tonight and a lot of people consider that EDF to be slow. I'm guessing the 64mm just isn't enough for a larger model like this.

I think I may have a lemon LemonRX as I lost signal to it when it was less than 30m aways. It cut power to the motor, but I had control of the servos. I was able to circle it twice...a tight circle nonetheless and do a better landing than I probably would normally do :)

Who knows...maybe I'll shrink it even more :)