The Flite Test Master Series F-16 Viper, is released!

MJSantito

Just curious where you guys are placing the ESC so it gets enough cooling and not blocking airflow too much? Or is it not that big of a concern? I'm about ready to drop on the belly skin but want to make sure everything is as clean and tidy as possible... cable management is a little wonky coming through there and trying to have it not look like a bird's nest. Any pics would help give me an idea.

dhall224

She's is all done...... AAAAAAAAAAND its raining in my area.
I am still having issue understanding where to start the measurement for the CG on the wing. It is noted that the CG is 1" to 1.5" from leading edge of wing. Would you measure starting from the corner where the wing and front fairing meet? Any tips would be appreciated.
Where did you end up putting the CG?
I’m building one now and the noted CG seems very far forward.

dhall224

Ok, I cross referenced with the Eflite 70mm F-16 manual and here’s where I’m thinking the CG is supposed to be. Unfortunately, this is my heaviest 4S pack I have. It’s going to be near impossible to get the battery all the way up there without modifying the canopy to be removable.

View attachment 217291
I’m building one now. The CG seems very far forward. Where did you end up balancing yours? The similar Freewing 70mm F-16 has the CG 3” back from the leading edge…Thanks…

I added 5 pieces of lead to the nose of mine. With the 6s 4000 fully forward I was about 1 3/4 back from the leading edge. Ended up flying really well. Got 3 1/2 good flights out of it, then lost orientation. Building a F86 with the remains

dhall224

So, just for grins, I ran this through the CG calculator at http://fwcg.3dzone.dk and it came up to be quite a bit further back. i also verified the Eflite measurements from my wrecked 64mm F-16 and it was spot on what was in the manual. Anyway, where the blue tape is shows where the calculator shows it should be.
View attachment 217338
That looks like about 3” back from the leading edge. Is that where you balanced it? How did it fly? Thanks

MJSantito

What is the consensus with the CG on this? I got a 6s 5200mah and finding it really difficult just to get the battery in and out with the velcro on the bottom side of the battery box so I'm thinking about possibly spacing it out so it's centered and then sticking it to the side to make installation/removal easier. Having a good idea of where the CG should be will help better with the shim placement.

dhall224

Well, I’m trying to get a consensus myself. I’m building the Viper now and the CG just looks like it’s way too far forward compared to other planes that I’ve built. There is a Freewing F-16 that’s exactly the same size as this one that has the CG 3 inches back from the leading edge. That’s what I’m going with and I hope it works. I am also adding retracts to this build so things may be a little different. Have people flown this plane with the CG at 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the leading edge successfully? What about back farther? I wish everybody that has built one of these would chime in to see how things are flying, and where they are putting the CG! I understand your problem, but I’m not at the point where I have to address that yet. I’ll probably enlarge the battery box opening as much as I can. Dave

dhall224

What is the consensus with the CG on this? I got a 6s 5200mah and finding it really difficult just to get the battery in and out with the velcro on the bottom side of the battery box so I'm thinking about possibly spacing it out so it's centered and then sticking it to the side to make installation/removal easier. Having a good idea of where the CG should be will help better with the shim placement.
Are you flying your plane now? Where do you have the CG? How is it flying?

MJSantito

Haven't flown it yet... just trying to get the finish done on it and trying to figure out the battery situation before I give it a go. x2 in hoping someone who has flown these will chime in.

MJSantito

Right now I'm finding that with my battery just in enough where the end is flush with the former it's at about 2" from the leading edge where it meets the fairing. I may give it a go from that point and see how it is. Seems to be in-between everything I've read from the 1- 1/2" to 2 - 3" mark.

Attachments

• PXL_20231118_004401115.jpg
    PXL_20231118_004401115.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

dhall224

Right now I'm finding that with my battery just in enough where the end is flush with the former it's at about 2" from the leading edge where it meets the fairing. I may give it a go from that point and see how it is. Seems to be in-between everything I've read from the 1- 1/2" to 2 - 3" mark.
Nice job and I like your balancing jig.

MJSantito

Finally got the last of the vinyl on. Weather is horrible here right now... Snow and rain mix along with mid 20s out. Hope it lets up so I can give it a go!

Attachments

• PXL_20231206_034127291.jpg
    PXL_20231206_034127291.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231206_034055254.jpg
    PXL_20231206_034055254.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

dhall224

Finally got the last of the vinyl on. Weather is horrible here right now... Snow and rain mix along with mid 20s out. Hope it lets up so I can give it a go!
Wow that's Beautiful and a lot of work! What covering did you use? Did you make the graphics? IMG_9381.jpeg

Last edited:

MJSantito

Thanks! I just used gloss white rustoleum for the base color and then I got the vinyl from Callie Graphics. Had them sides for 1/10th scale if I recall correctly. I did paint the red on the nose since the vinyl was two pieces to wrap around and with that tight curve it didn't want to stay very well. I used the remaining decals and trimmed it for the control surfaces and of course the servo exits under the wing.

I couldn't help but notice you have a Sweepee in that background! Haven't seen one of those a a very long time!

dhall224

Wow that's Beautiful and a lot of work! What covering did you use? Did you make the graphics? View attachment 241282
Yes, I like X-29's.... I scratch built that one from AMA plans in 1989. It went through 3 glo engines and now has 6s electric conversion. I have a FT X-29 with 70mm EDF and I scratch built one blowing it up 125% with 90mm EDF and adding removable wing, retracts, rear elevator and I can't remember what else. See my article here....

Attachments

• IMG_5626.JPG
    IMG_5626.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4509.JPG
    IMG_4509.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1