The Majik1's First Scratch Build

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Okay all, I have attempted to fly my scratch build today. I was off on my cg by more than I wanted to admit, but anyway here is the video:

I will have to adjust my weight for cg a lot before next flight. Not going to happen today as wind picked back up some and I need to finish the small repairs that are needed.

I hope everyone enjoys!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Thanks Andre, moving the wings back is a little more difficult, but that would do it as well. I will be able to get it much better before the next flight attempt.

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Put your landing gear back on, a little more forward for weight bias. You could always add bigger wheels too for more weight and drag.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Put your landing gear back on, a little more forward for weight bias. You could always add bigger wheels too for more weight and drag.

Well, I took Andre's advise and moved the wing to the rear by 2 inches. Looks as though the cg is much better as soon as I can get back out I will fly again.

I thought about putting on the gear, and I still may, but I will have to work on it as when I set the plane back on the gear, the prop was waaaaaayyyyyy to close to hitting the ground so I will have to bent it around some. No need in breaking props!

Just slight modifications, but I feel pretty good about it being my very first scratch build with no real plans with the exception of what was in my head!

I do want to thank all that weighed in on this build so far, you have all been a lot of help, and when it flys well I will have you all to thank again!

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Looking good for it being a plane out of your head!

Congrats and my respects for that. Let´s see the thing fly with the wing further back then :D

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Looking good for it being a plane out of your head!

Congrats and my respects for that. Let´s see the thing fly with the wing further back then :D

Thanks ananas1301! As soon as I can get away from work and the weather cooperates I will have it back in the air and film it so everyone can see!

Looks like maybe Friday before it can happen, but I will keep everyone updated as much as possible.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Okay weather cooperated today a little. Took her out for the second flight, here is the video:

The center of gravity is much better, but seemed a little underpowered. The wind picked up as soon as I released and it did not want to climb out so I shut the throttle off and set it down. When I walked over to the plane the spinner, prop, and the prop adapter was gone.

I did check everything and made sure the prop was tight, but for whatever reason everything was gone. This was with the 8 X 5 prop, so I am not sure as to what happened.

Back to the drawing board, maybe lighten it up or build something new, not sure. Thanks for the encouragement all, it is appreciated!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Maybe the stuff you lost loosened in flight making you loose power?

Well, maybe... I did notice that the power was down as compared to the maiden. Not sure as to what happened. Like everyone always says, must have been pilot error, I just wish I knew what did happen.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I thought you were using a bigger prop last time. If so that would account for some power loss.