Tuning

outthayr

I’ve always stuck near my FC stock settings. Just had my first flight on my Acrobrat Duo build, with some adjusted PIDs per Ummagawd...

Wow. What a great feeling finally flying a nicely tuned quad!

Have been reading and watching videos, but I guess there’s no better way to learn than testing things out for yourself. I’ve got a little 2” I’m trying to get oscillations out of - has taken me 2 days so far and it’s still not flying smoothly.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just finished a 3 inch build and shut off ALL filters in beta flight as well as the other bells and whistles. Tuned the PIDS and it flys amazing.

PID tuning DOES matter no matter what you fly. The fancy filters and other features are mainly there to protect low quality gear used by most people to save money over performance. They just manipulate the pids so my guess is if the pids are off to begin with it will never be quite right even with the filters. If you start with a wet noodle build it can never be locked in even with all the filters.

I got all the parts to rebuild the Mach 1 I fried last year and will do the same to start since this one dialed in so quick and I struggled to find a happy place with all the filters and such on the mach 1.

outthayr

I was about to try the 'clean slate' approach on the same stubborn 2" build and just lower all the PIDs and start brining them up gradually - I'll also try all filters off.

Something to be said for the Insta360 GO - even with bad oscillations the video is fairly smooth.

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I was about to try the 'clean slate' approach on the same stubborn 2" build and just lower all the PIDs and start brining them up gradually - I'll also try all filters off.

Something to be said for the Insta360 GO - even with bad oscillations the video is fairly smooth.
Pid tuning is something that every quad needs. I tuned my simulator's pids and it made me a 40% better pilot!(y)

"Corpse"

Legendary member
Wait,,,,,,is that because if flew really crappy during the process, or because it was more responsive when you were done?
Yes...

When I was done, I couldn't feel much of a difference, but my quad felt like it tracked better and I could fly much tighter gaps.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wait,,,,,,is that because if flew really crappy during the process, or because it was more responsive when you were done?

Stock betaflight pids seem ok with all the filtering IF you have never experienced "locked in" tuning. Then you realize that what you THOUGHT was a decent set up was actually a wet noodle. It really clicks when you "feel" what locked in is the first time.