*Unofficial* FT Simple Cub

BATTLECAT

Finished my first Flite Test plane. This is also my first rc plane build in the hobby so noob here. I set this up as a 3channel and test flew it before I started painting. It flew great for me on a power pack B. I added a few changes afterwards such as reinforced landing gear and side dummy engines. The engines I made out of foam board scraps, cutting out the shapes, peeling off the paper, and sanding to the shape I wanted. the exhaust pipes are plastic straws. I havnt flown it post painting yet, hopefully it flys as good as it did before all the finishing.
IMG_3767.PNG IMG_3764.JPG IMG_3748.JPG IMG_3751.JPG IMG_3766.JPG IMG_3765.JPG IMG_3752.JPG IMG_3753.JPG IMG_3755.JPG

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Finished my first Flite Test plane. This is also my first rc plane build in the hobby so noob here. I set this up as a 3channel and test flew it before I started painting. It flew great for me on a power pack B. I added a few changes afterwards such as reinforced landing gear and side dummy engines. The engines I made out of foam board scraps, cutting out the shapes, peeling off the paper, and sanding to the shape I wanted. the exhaust pipes are plastic straws. I havnt flown it post painting yet, hopefully it flys as good as it did before all the finishing.
View attachment 173651 View attachment 173652 View attachment 173656 View attachment 173657 View attachment 173658 View attachment 173659 View attachment 173660 View attachment 173661 View attachment 173662
Wow, impressive paint job - it looks amazing!!

Earl Turner

Sweet! How's it fly? rick
Flies Great. Stable, short take-off, great roll rate with 4 ailerons...
Top wing is from plans, but with no dihedral, moved 1/2 inch forward (modified fuselage to move windscreen fwd 1/2") Deepened fuselage 1/2" behind landing gear to allow more distance between wings. Bottom wing is 1" shorter span than top and positioned 1" back from top, with some dihedral. Wings are glued to fuselage with 2 tongue depressors passing through the fuselage, one on each side of the bottom wing spar for strength. Popsicle sticks for inter-plane struts.
Photos by Chris Moes:
sep-05-07.jpg

(EVA is my wife's name)
aug-29-03.jpg

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Flies Great. Stable, short take-off, great roll rate with 4 ailerons...
Top wing is from plans, but with no dihedral, moved 1/2 inch forward (modified fuselage to move windscreen fwd 1/2") Deepened fuselage 1/2" behind landing gear to allow more distance between wings. Bottom wing is 1" shorter span than top and positioned 1" back from top, with some dihedral. Wings are glued to fuselage with 2 tongue depressors passing through the fuselage, one on each side of the bottom wing spar for strength. Popsicle sticks for inter-plane struts.
Photos by Chris Moes:
View attachment 178762
(EVA is my wife's name)
View attachment 178771
Really nice job!! What did you use for CG?

rickp

Awesome - reminiscent of a Beech Staggerwing.
Looks like aileron servos are top wing only, with connecting rods to the bottom. Very nice indeed!

olgoz

How's it going Cub fans.

I presume this would be a good place to ask..

I am putting together the FT Simple Cub, at standard 100% scale with no modifications - yet.

I'd like to use up the electronics from a previous and halted hot-wire cut foam build. These electronics include a Flight Controller (Matek F765), GPS and a DJI Air Unit with camera!

Probably overkill but I'm keen for a sophisticated FT Simple Cub! :)

Has anyone tried or has some info on where exactly I can fit this into the cub? Shall I plan to put it all into the power-pod?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

TooJung2Die

Master member
Has anyone tried or has some info on where exactly I can fit this into the cub? Shall I plan to put it all into the power-pod?
I stopped using the power-pod idea a long time ago. It uses up a lot of room in the fuselage, it eventually gets loose and is extra weight. Now I glue a fixed firewall in the nose. Everything else is built according to the plans.

olgoz

I stopped using the power-pod idea a long time ago. It uses up a lot of room in the fuselage, it eventually gets loose and is extra weight. Now I glue a fixed firewall in the nose. Everything else is built according to the plans.

Ok, I'm interested to know more about how you then fit your battery. You'd still need some sort of support for it somewhere. I'd have also thought that the power pod installed would contribute quite significantly to the integrity/strength of the fuselage.

I wouldn't mind not having a removable power pod as my electronics (Flight Controller, GPS and DJI Air Unit) can be dedicated to this build, but I'm just not too sure where and how to fit them.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Ok, I'm interested to know more about how you then fit your battery. You'd still need some sort of support for it somewhere. I'd have also thought that the power pod installed would contribute quite significantly to the integrity/strength of the fuselage.
Usually I'll stick some Velcro to the inside of the fuselage just behind the firewall to mount the battery. You can glue in a piece of foamboard to make a battery shelf if you want. The power pod probably does make the nose thicker and stronger but do you need it? Lighter flies better. Build it to fly, not to crash.

RokrRJ

Here's my 90% completed take on the FT cub.

Decided to do a few mods, like adding a rear wheel connected to the rudder and a "closed" nose.

Unfortunately I had to swap motors, as I could not discover how much thrust The br2212 would produce on a 9050 prop, so the hole on the front had to be enlarged to allow the motor swap.

IMG-20210208-WA0012.jpeg
IMG-20210208-WA0008.jpeg
IMG-20210208-WA0006.jpeg

Last picture was taken before I had to enlarge the front hole and swap motors. Much better looking, and using a smaller/more scale looking spinner. :(

IMG-20210207-WA0026.jpeg

RokrRJ

Maidened it today.

It flew beautifuly!!! ....... For about 15 seconds. Then the motor mount fell off and it went for a dive into the ocean.

Those emax mounts... Grr, I hate them.

Fortunately there was a fishing boat passing by and ppl were kind enough to retrieve it for me, as I didn't feel like swimming today. 🤣

It was floating and the electronics were ok, minus the ESC, which started fuming as I attempted a second flight after reconnecting the motor.

Now it's on the sun... We shall see if it'll get dry soon enough for a second attempt tomorrow.

I'll swap motors again, opting for the br2830, which has a safer mount. It's recommended prop is 10x4,7, but I only have 9x5's and 8x3.8's. Do you guys think the 9x5 would lower the max thrust too much? It's current weight is ~650g.

20210211_091843.jpg
20210211_091849.jpg

20210211_092520.jpg

T1TAN

I have browsed through this entire thread and have not found free plans for the lightning decals (I'm a scratch builder and don't buy kits ever).
Could someone please provide a link or help to find the plans?
Thanks in advance,
T1TAN

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I have browsed through this entire thread and have not found free plans for the lightning decals (I'm a scratch builder and don't buy kits ever).
Could someone please provide a link or help to find the plans?
Thanks in advance,
T1TAi know they are at the end of the tiled plans... so they should be included in all of the plans... in the last couple of sheets

T1TAN

Thanks a lot! I found them at the end of one of the untiled plans. Ill post a picture of the final cub!!