• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

VP SideWinder

Wildthing

Ok plans are converted to 6mm foam, printed and taped together :). I did a couple mods and sort of did like the Baron and the fuse is just straight back and not tapered in to allow for elevator servo underneath plus some guys mount an extra servo in there that works as a release for the streamer. They roll the streamer up and there is a bbg skewer ran though with an elastic band attached that holds the streamer in and is looped over the servo arm, once up and flying they then release the streamer. Also full doublers front to back and the elevator I took out the V in it so I can mount the control horn in the center underneath. Attached is the pdf file and also a stl file for the motor mount which you can either use the X mount or mount with your 16x19mm bolt pattern from the inside.
I plan on cutting out the foam pieces then tracing onto coroplast :) Once all together I may have to trim the rudder slightly to clear the elevator.

2019_1120_082949_001.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Really interested how that coroplast version works out @Wildthing .... could be an excellent combat ship from a durability perspective... and I do have a sheet of coroplast around the workshop somewhere.... :unsure:

Wildthing

getting there on these two planes, the coroplast one is being difficult it is very tail heavy. I have removed the coro vertical and replaced with a foam one a savings of almost 20gr, also replaced the rear bottom plate for foam. I have a heavier motor up front now also to help out ( heck more power too :D ) . At this point it took a 2200 4S battery to get it not bad, my next thought was to extend the nose an inch or two but then I would lose all the strength being spliced in so now I moved the main wing back 1/2" . Now I can get a 2200 3S in it for balance and have the option of 4S if needed.

Sorry no raster skin or fancy paint job, life expectancy is short so keep it simple :)

2019_1124_100444_002.JPG 2019_1124_100449_003.JPG 2019_1124_100454_004.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Going to be an interesting flyer in coroplast! Curious if you will be able to feel a difference with the short coupling that results from the wing going back - or if it will be balanced by the motor thrust being put so far ahead of the CG. :unsure:

Wildthing

Going to be an interesting flyer in coroplast! Curious if you will be able to feel a difference with the short coupling that results from the wing going back - or if it will be balanced by the motor thrust being put so far ahead of the CG. :unsure:

We will see, all I need to do now is round up a couple rx's so I can go test both of them.

Wildthing

Well hell or highwater they have both been maidened, looks like there are 2 more combat planes for the squadron. :)
Cold, 30k winds, rain and snow what better conditions to maiden in :)

Hard to tell in the wind but I think I need to angle the motors down 4 degrees or so, slight zoom to them.

I did learn 4 things don't go together
Coro
Hot Glue
Cold Weather
and a thump :D :D
come right apart with ease :D :D , read somewhere somebody said use RTV silicone :)